inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Keep tabs on your Works

Written By: 2nz on 12/04/08 at 1:45 pm

...because they are in a public forum, which allows anyone interested to view them. I bring this up because very recently, I discovered that someone had submitted a recorded version of my parody 'I wok alone', complete with a video, on youtube. Quality of the recording, the singing and the video aside, I don't consider that a problem all by itself, and it's kind of a complement that someone is interested in my work. The problem is that I wasn't asked and no credit is given to me.

The youtube site: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuYCIL2Tgnc
My parody: http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/greenday58.shtml

I've sent the creator of the video a message asking that they credit me. I did this recently to give the creator a chance to discuss it.

What are the thoughts of you all on this? How would you proceed if it was your work? I'd be lying if I said I wasn't flattered that other's enjoy my work enough to do something like this, but it also reminds me that I do not fully understand how I would defend the ownership of my lyrics if push came to shove. I can prove that my lyrics existed back in '05 because of when the parody posted, but that hinges on the continuous presence of my work at amiright.com. Chucky and the editors run the site very well, and I have come to have faith in the site because of it, but the site as a means of storing and displaying works is a privilege extended to us as authors, not a right.

I had the idea a while ago of combining several of my better works into a single book or grouping, and submitting that grouping for official copyright, which I believe would cost $30 unless the price per work as changed over the past years.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Subject: Re: Keep tabs on your Works

Written By: EthanM on 12/04/08 at 2:03 pm

The question I have is how we can possibly check outside of typing in every single title and looking for them which would be ridiculously time consuming especially since a lot of the titles are simple phrases that might turn up something completely different. I've thought of the copyright thing too on an off since Bob brought up his copyright issue at our get-together a few years ago but I still haven't figured out what to do about it. The youtube video situations sounds complicated and we could probably use a lawyer around here to explain such things.

Written By: Step-chan on 12/05/08 at 4:57 pm

Reading your post I wonder about how to do that as well, I have other 120 parodies wrote on Amiright and Whatfreaks combined.(Which is still pocket change compared to the veterans of Amiright)

Although I'm not too worried about mine... They're mostly niche themes(anime, gaming) or based on songs not as popular.

I am curious though, I'm going to check Youtube on the off chance that has happened.

Written By: EthanM on 12/05/08 at 8:02 pm

I just found a video of something I wrote online, but I was asked if it could be used and paid for it.  ;D

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/08/08 at 8:07 am

Reading your post I wonder about how to do that as well, I have other 120 parodies wrote on Amiright and Whatfreaks combined.(Which is still pocket change compared to the veterans of Amiright)

Although I'm not too worried about mine... They're mostly niche themes(anime, gaming) or based on songs not as popular.

I am curious though, I'm going to check Youtube on the off chance that has happened.

Niche themes like those would probably get appropriated quite quickly, if someone has the audacity to do something like that.  :(

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/16/08 at 12:29 pm

http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/52151496/Drugs?tab=summary

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/16/08 at 12:31 pm

http://www.who-sells-it.com/cy/jl-entertainment-3272/karaoke-16281/page-159-fullsize.html

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/16/08 at 12:39 pm

http://www.wallyj.com/djservice/songbook/A-P.htm

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/16/08 at 12:48 pm

Someone used part of my parody "Hottie Naughty Christmas" (which, BTW, has been copied and pirated all over the Web) in what looks like a Japanese Xmas story:

http://community.livejournal.com/kakairu/2241750.html

Written By: tmayfield on 12/30/08 at 10:34 pm

I don't know. I have found a few of mine around but almost all of the time my name is attributed. Perhaps it matters if you use a 'real' sounding name as opposed to a handle. I don't think folks would be as mindful to attribute the parody to someone name YucksALot or LaughMeister as they would to someone who put George Finnagan or Brian Ford.

It is interesting, however, to see where parodies end up. Medical newsletters, Church cantatas, YouTube videos, song naming games, etc. I did find one of mine posted as an anti-tax blog on a site in another country. Maybe I should be grateful they left my name off.  ;D

I would probably find it more annoying if they were making money off of it. Some 12 year old kid making a YouTube video and not attributing it to you (and has a monotonal voice to boot) is not much of a threat to your ownership rights I think.

There was a video set to my 'I Banged My Knee' MP3 on the internet for a year or so, but that one showed credits properly. So again, I've not been slandered or mistreated to my knowledge yet. I've also never had anyone ask for my permission, but considering they would never find my email address (at least for email accounts I check) so who knows, maybe they did ask, so to speak. ;)

Written By: EthanM on 12/30/08 at 10:50 pm

I tried to check copyscape for my author page and it says that the monthly limit has been reached  :-[

Written By: EthanM on 01/03/09 at 3:20 pm

Maybe i should've searched as the ball dropped since the limit has been reached once again

Check for new replies or respond here...