inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Would people be interested in a backup solution for their parodies

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/09 at 8:02 am

Reading this article about the AOL Homepages going away, and the abrupt manner in which they did it (no surprise considering how awful AOL treats the people who use their service) I was wondering if people would like the ability to grab a snap shot of their parodies from the site.  I've always contended that people should be making backups because I can't guarantee their parodies will always be on the site.  I'm just wondering if it would help if I offered authors the ability to grab their collection from the site as well. 

This would only be for authors with passwords setup of course.  No need to let anyone just wholesale download the entire site or anything.

Subject: Re: Would people be interested in a backup solution for their parodies

Written By: Rex on 01/03/09 at 9:10 am

Hmmm... I write all my parodies on my PC, so I already have them on disk and on backup CDs.  However, if there was a way to download my parody collection in a special AmIRight backup format that included the comments, votes, hit count, etc., and then have the ability to batch reload those parodies to AmIRight if disaster struck the site, well then, that would be awesome.

Written By: Red Ant on 01/03/09 at 10:07 am

I like the idea as well as Rex's suggestion.

signature banned as well

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/03/09 at 10:28 am

Hmmm... I write all my parodies on my PC, so I already have them on disk and on backup CDs.  However, if there was a way to download my parody collection in a special AmIRight backup format that included the comments, votes, hit count, etc., and then have the ability to batch reload those parodies to AmIRight if disaster struck the site, well then, that would be awesome.

I probably wouldn't have the ability to reupload initially.  I'd probably leave that for when said disaster strikes.  Also probably wouldn't allow votes to be uploaded, since that would be subject to cheating.  But I could certainly export all that stuff.

I know someone at one point had written something to screen scrape the results from their author listing onto their local machine.  Not sure if that's still around or works though.

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/03/09 at 2:55 pm

Reading this article about the AOL Homepages going away, and the abrupt manner in which they did it (no surprise considering how awful AOL treats the people who use their service) I was wondering if people would like the ability to grab a snap shot of their parodies from the site.  I've always contended that people should be making backups because I can't guarantee their parodies will always be on the site.  I'm just wondering if it would help if I offered authors the ability to grab their collection from the site as well. 

This would only be for authors with passwords setup of course.  No need to let anyone just wholesale download the entire site or anything.

Yes, I would be interested in using the backup solution you propose - thanks!  :)

Written By: jreuben on 01/05/09 at 9:16 am

I would be interested as well...good idea...

Written By: karen on 01/07/09 at 11:02 pm

I know someone at one point had written something to screen scrape the results from their author listing onto their local machine.  Not sure if that's still around or works though.

I think philbo set that up at some point.

Written By: EthanM on 01/07/09 at 11:19 pm

He did, but it's really more of a sorting tool than anything else. It needed to access the site to work.

Check for new replies or respond here...