inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Tribute Parody Song parody contest

Written By: 2nz on 08/03/09 at 9:55 am

Yeah, I know, it's ridiculously campy. I'm putting out feelers anyway to see if there is interest, as many authors here have written a song parody about one (or several) other authors, and DJ Blaze's recent posts reminded me that I've written one myself from WAY back in the day.

I had a discussion with Spaff years ago about how tribute parodies are funny animals. If they are seen by those included in them, they've technically served their purpose and so all is well. That said, it seems a shame that they have such short shelf lives as many of them have a lot of thought, time, and appreciation put into them.

If there is interest, I'm still not certain what the criteria for a tournament would be. And I don't want this to turn into a popularity contest either (although I think it already would be :c]).

Post any thoughts. Thanks.

-Glen

Subject: Re: Tribute Parody Song parody contest

Written By: Leo Keough on 08/03/09 at 3:13 pm

I think this would be a good idea if the tribute parodies pointed to the greatest songs posted by the authors being honored.  With the tens of thousands of songs posted on AmIRight, it's not easy for a relative newcomer such as myself to comb through them to find the really good ones.  Having ready access to them via tribute parodies would be a great help to newcomers as far as enabling them to improve their skills.  And it would save the authors being honored the embarrassment of doing shameless plugs (lol).

Written By: Red Ant on 08/03/09 at 3:16 pm

We had a tribute contest about three years ago. Here's the threads for some ideas:

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=22281.0
http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=22593.0

Enough time has passed to have Tribute II. It would be a cool contest, and even better if someone could figure out how to get the amiright-but-not-contest regulars involved, as well as those of us who haven't submitted anything in, like, the last year.  ;D

Ant

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/03/09 at 3:59 pm

Yeah, I know, it's ridiculously campy. I'm putting out feelers anyway to see if there is interest, as many authors here have written a song parody about one (or several) other authors, and DJ Blaze's recent posts reminded me that I've written one myself from WAY back in the day.

I had a discussion with Spaff years ago about how tribute parodies are funny animals. If they are seen by those included in them, they've technically served their purpose and so all is well. That said, it seems a shame that they have such short shelf lives as many of them have a lot of thought, time, and appreciation put into them.

If there is interest, I'm still not certain what the criteria for a tournament would be. And I don't want this to turn into a popularity contest either (although I think it already would be :c]).

Post any thoughts. Thanks.

-Glen

This would be a good idea, and I'm not just saying that so I can win. There are plenty of great writers on AmIRight, and they need all the praise they can get. I'm already doing sort of a series of Tribute parodies, and they have seemed to get relatively large amounts of comments/5s. For instance, my tribute to Airfarcewon, which I have entered in the SOTM contest, has gotten over 13 5s, and comments to go with them. (And 3 of them were a while after the song was done!) Not bragging, but encouraging that tributes have good staying power.

I'll check out the threads that Red Ant posted. I bet there's good ideas in them. Overall, I think it could work, but only if done absolutely right.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/03/09 at 9:23 pm

I think we have all done some tributes, the last tribute contest was done in a way to where you were randomly drawn who to tribute, that way everyone in the contest was tributed once and once only with no one being left out, I can't say 100% that I'd commit to it myself at the moment, but depending on how it's done, I could see that being  a fun competition to bring back

Written By: Matthias on 08/03/09 at 9:50 pm

Since I ran the original contest I would be more than willing to join in this one!

Written By: Arwen on 08/04/09 at 9:52 am

I'd play.  I need all the assignments I can get, to keep my lazy self writing.  ;)

Also...I do kind of like you guys...so writing a tribute to one or more of you would be a treat for me...

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/04/09 at 6:23 pm

I'd play.  I need all the assignments I can get, to keep my lazy self writing.   ;)

Also...I do kind of like you guys...so writing a tribute to one or more of you would be a treat for me...

Great to see you doing tributes, Super Arwen! I remember reading your song about Jeff Reuben, and it was very good. (Puts my tributes to shame!)

Check for new replies or respond here...