inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Who Wants to be a Millionaire? used amIright's misheard lyrics book tonight!

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/10/09 at 7:53 pm

I only caught the last five seconds of the question so no idea about anything leading up to it.  The question was: "A 2007 book about misheard music lyrics, 'Hold Me Closer, Tony Danza' has a title that references a hit song by whom?"  The choices were Billy Joel, Paul Simon, Elton John and Bruce Springsteen.  The contestant answered it correctly with Elton John. 

http://www.amiright.com/images/whowants02.jpg

Very cool, thanks to the game show people for the shout out!

Subject: Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire? used amIright's misheard lyrics book tonight!

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/10/09 at 8:06 pm

Couple more screenshots...

http://www.amiright.com/images/whowants01.jpg
http://www.amiright.com/images/whowants03.jpg

Subject: Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire? used amIright's misheard lyrics book tonight

Written By: Foo Bar on 08/11/09 at 1:17 am

Couple more screenshots...

At first, I was...
http://www.amiright.com/images/whowants01.jpg

...but then I...
http://www.amiright.com/images/whowants03.jpg

Fixed that for you.

Seriously - congratulations on an EPIC WIN.  We've achieved meme status.

Subject: Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire? used amIright's misheard lyrics book tonight

Written By: Frank on 08/11/09 at 1:58 am

I only caught the last five seconds of the question so no idea about anything leading up to it.  The question was: "A 2007 book about misheard music lyrics, 'Hold Me Closer, Tony Danza' has a title that references a hit song by whom?"  The choices were Billy Joel, Paul Simon, Elton John and Bruce Springsteen.  The contestant answered it correctly with Elton John. 

I saw the whole show. When the questions was asked, I laughed and thought: "Alright, what a plug!"

The contestant had no idea what the answer was, since she didn't know any song sounding like that. She phoned a friend. They knew right away and gave her the answer.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/11/09 at 7:36 am

I saw the whole show. When the questions was asked, I laughed and thought: "Alright, what a plug!"

The contestant had no idea what the answer was, since she didn't know any song sounding like that. She phoned a friend. They knew right away and gave her the answer.

I just found it on a download site this morning so I could see it.  Two of her phone a friends were from Massachusetts like me, though she ended up phoning someone in Brooklyn.  I saw a couple of the other questions she was asked, and it appeared she didn't know the pop culture stuff at all (didn't know about something from Ice Age).  I never quite understood why these shows do that, throw in the pop culture stuff along with more important topics, I guess it's to make the audience feel like they could do it too...

It looks like they changed the show to be more fast paced (very timed), when it first aired they used to give the contestants all the time in the world to answer.

Written By: snozberries on 08/11/09 at 10:53 am

Congrats.

I've always meant to ask if the title came from that line when they used it in "Friends"

The millionaire format has been changed for a while the changed it a couple years ago 
I think the meredith viera 30 minute millionaire didn't lend itself well to unlimited time.
The ask the expert and change from 50/50 to double dipping are also from the viera format.

I'm just watching the nighttime one for the celebrity question. Regis kind of annoys me so
I can only handle him for 5 minutes. 

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/11/09 at 11:07 am

Congrats.

I've always meant to ask if the title came from that line when they used it in "Friends"

it came from my publisher... they picked the titles for both books.  I knew about the "Friends" connection though when it was pitched to me, which I thought could only help it out a little.

The millionaire format has been changed for a while the changed it a couple years ago   
I think the meredith viera 30 minute millionaire didn't lend itself well to unlimited time.
The ask the expert and change from 50/50 to double dipping are also from the viera format.

I'm just watching the nighttime one for the celebrity question. Regis kind of annoys me so
I can only handle him for 5 minutes. 

I like Regis... I usually dislike his co-hosts though.  Game shows though... ugh.  If there's no cartoon whammies, I'm just not into it.

Subject: Re: Who Wants to be a Millionaire? used amIright's misheard lyrics book tonight!

Written By: nally on 08/11/09 at 11:24 am

I missed it... but from seeing the screenshot, I could easily determine that it was Elton John. :D

Written By: Frank on 08/11/09 at 12:38 pm

I never quite understood why these shows do that, throw in the pop culture stuff along with more important topics, I guess it's to make the audience feel like they could do it too...

It looks like they changed the show to be more fast paced (very timed), when it first aired they used to give the contestants all the time in the world to answer.

1- Since the audience is a lifeline, pop culture stuff is easier for them. Can't embarrass the audience.
2- I like the faster pace, but I think they could add a few seconds (not much more), as 30 seconds can go by fast.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/11/09 at 5:29 pm

that is so cool  8)  way to go Chucky.  so I'm guessing they did not need your permission to use part of your book.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/11/09 at 5:36 pm

that is so cool  8)  way to go Chucky.   so I'm guessing they did not need your permission to use part of your book.

it was just a title, so I think that's pretty much fair game.  I use snippets of song lyrics without asking for permission, so it's not likely I'd be one to complain anyways.

Written By: Badfinger-fan on 08/11/09 at 5:40 pm

it was just a title, so I think that's pretty much fair game.  I use snippets of song lyrics without asking for permission, so it's not likely I'd be one to complain anyways.
ok, so it's free use and of course you'd have granted permission if they had needed it for such good publicity.

Written By: snozberries on 08/12/09 at 1:13 am

1- Since the audience is a lifeline, pop culture stuff is easier for them. Can't embarrass the audience.
2- I like the faster pace, but I think they could add a few seconds (not much more), as 30 seconds can go by fast.

plus they start the clock as regis is reading the 4 choices....dude that's like 8 seconds right there.... 

Written By: Frank on 08/12/09 at 1:15 am

plus they start the clock as regis is reading the 4 choices....dude that's like 8 seconds right there.... 

I know...not enough time. Too much anxiety there.

Written By: nally on 08/12/09 at 11:52 am

ok, so it's free use and of course you'd have granted permission if they had needed it for such good publicity.

I suppose that would be ok.

Written By: whistledog on 08/21/09 at 11:39 pm

I missed this.  Did they mention you as author of the book?

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/22/09 at 12:34 am

I missed this.  Did they mention you as author of the book?

no, just the title of the book

Check for new replies or respond here...