inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody Slump

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/17/09 at 9:16 pm

Is anybody else in a parody writer slump at the moment?  I have ideas, but I'm just too. . .eh. . .to write any of them out. 

I don't know, think I'm too wrapped up in the going back to college after a 7 year absence in two weeks and worrying about my job situation to really finalize any thing I've come up with. . .wonder if anyone else is sharing my pain. . .

Heck if not for Artistry, I would be on a 30 day drought without a single parody. . .which is the second longest drought I've had for non-contest parodies. . .and at this rate, reaching the 2 month mark seems quite likely.

Subject: Re: Parody Slump

Written By: Step-chan on 08/17/09 at 11:07 pm

I have plenty of ideas as well, but have been lacking proper motivation...

I started another select series thread(I did one a few years ago) to try to get a boost for motivation, but only one choice has been made.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/18/09 at 1:15 pm

Dave: Man, I know how you feel. I had a miniature writer's slump a while back. No parodies, no comments, it was awful! Your college and job should be your main concerns.

Stephen: I have some advice: If you're not too embarrassed to do a shameless plug, try mentioning your Select Series on comments on other people's parodies. It's free exposure!

Written By: Step-chan on 08/18/09 at 2:33 pm

Well... I'd rather get it done just on the boards, since I don't vote on parodies alot unless I'm more active writing parodies myself.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/18/09 at 2:54 pm

Well... I'd rather get it done just on the boards, since I don't vote on parodies alot unless I'm more active writing parodies myself.

Yeah, you're right. I try to vote/comment a lot, but often I don't get the chance. But so many people deserve it! Still anticipating your Select Series.

Written By: Step-chan on 08/18/09 at 3:47 pm

Inthe00s(and Amiright to a certain degree) do tend to be somewhat slower during the summer, that could be it as well.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/18/09 at 4:21 pm

Inthe00s(and Amiright to a certain degree) do tend to be somewhat slower during the summer, that could be it as well.

I wonder why that is? (Sorry, I'm sort of new to all this.)

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/18/09 at 5:05 pm

I wonder why that is? (Sorry, I'm sort of new to all this.)

The kids who write during the school year are now busy doing summer activities, the adults are taking vacations.  Been the same pattern since I started inthe80s way back in 1995.

I don't write parodies for the site per say, but I have been in a slump for working on the site for the past year or so thanks to a home addition that lasted too long and left too many projects behind to be completed (painting mostly).  With any luck, the humid weather will clear up a bit and I can finish painting the rest of the house this week and next.  I've almost completed all my indoor projects too.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I can finally see it.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/18/09 at 5:53 pm

The kids who write during the school year are now busy doing summer activities, the adults are taking vacations.  Been the same pattern since I started inthe80s way back in 1995.

I don't write parodies for the site per say, but I have been in a slump for working on the site for the past year or so thanks to a home addition that lasted too long and left too many projects behind to be completed (painting mostly).  With any luck, the humid weather will clear up a bit and I can finish painting the rest of the house this week and next.  I've almost completed all my indoor projects too.  There is a light at the end of the tunnel and I can finally see it.

Yeah it's been unbearably humid here too Chucky, hard to get much done.  Good luck with the painting. . .I'm glad it's almost done for ya, besides the site is in good shape (You built it that way!)

Blaze and Step--I just hate it when I get in these slumps, sometimes they are short and then other times (like now) they can go for weeks/even months, usually when something big in my life is going on. . .the thing about it is parody/writing is like my big passion and it helps keep my mind of things, so sometimes when I'm not involved at some level in one or the other or both, I get bored/depressed, I will be focused on getting something straightened out with employment/financial, hopefully when that's worked out I can have piece of mind and return to my normal writing habits (Which is about two parodies to three parodies a week). . .it just feels weird being inactive, like a part of me is asleep or something.  I've got to record something soon to, everything I've posted over the last two months was recorded earlier in the year, I've only got a few recordings left before I'm out of new stuff to post. . .

Written By: wildcard on 08/18/09 at 6:37 pm

I've been like forever, but I think it's mostly due to the fact that I'm here in the 0's and my confidence is somewhat restored.  I was able to finish a BOG recently though because I wanted to do a video real bad.  Some day I'll get the video done so I can get the write out.

Written By: Step-chan on 08/18/09 at 7:00 pm

Yeah it's been unbearably humid here too Chucky, hard to get much done.  Good luck with the painting. . .I'm glad it's almost done for ya, besides the site is in good shape (You built it that way!)

Blaze and Step--I just hate it when I get in these slumps, sometimes they are short and then other times (like now) they can go for weeks/even months, usually when something big in my life is going on. . .the thing about it is parody/writing is like my big passion and it helps keep my mind of things, so sometimes when I'm not involved at some level in one or the other or both, I get bored/depressed, I will be focused on getting something straightened out with employment/financial, hopefully when that's worked out I can have piece of mind and return to my normal writing habits (Which is about two parodies to three parodies a week). . .it just feels weird being inactive, like a part of me is asleep or something.  I've got to record something soon to, everything I've posted over the last two months was recorded earlier in the year, I've only got a few recordings left before I'm out of new stuff to post. . .

Yep, I have over 30 ideas for songs(that I can remember, this has been stacking up for awhile now), now that I have less people in the house, I can start again. I'm just not too sure what to do first, some of these ideas I've had for over a year at least.

The songs that I have ideas for that I'm leaning toward(not on the select series challenge) doing first are:

Rap Song by Coach Z(on the Powered by the Cheat page), had an idea for it since probably early 2008. The only thing is I have to do it on the internet(for the most part).

Breed by Nirvana- A newer one, although I've done this song with other ideas before(not that that has stopped me before).  :D

Karma Chameleon by Culture Club- Well, what I have is a cover version, from the same cover album I did the Electric Avenue parody off of.

Plus, I have a few that I've been meaning to rewrite. I have WF parodies that I wanted to do clean versions of for Amiright.(Did this with one of them awhile back)

Edit: There is also a Misheard lyrics parody I did that I have stored on my PMs, but I don't want to submit until I write something else to submit with it.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/18/09 at 7:13 pm

Yep, I have over 30 ideas for songs(that I can remember, this has been stacking up for awhile now), now that I have less people in the house, I can start again. I'm just not too sure what to do first, some of these ideas I've had for over a year at least.

The songs that I have ideas for that I'm leaning toward(not on the select series challenge) doing first are:

Rap Song by Coach Z(on the Powered by the Cheat page), had an idea for it since probably early 2008. The only thing is I have to do it on the internet(for the most part).

Breed by Nirvana- A newer one, although I've done this song with other ideas before(not that that has stopped me before).  :D

Karma Chameleon by Culture Club- Well, what I have is a cover version, from the same cover album I did the Electric Avenue parody off of.

Plus, I have a few that I've been meaning to rewrite. I have WF parodies that I wanted to do clean versions of for Amiright.(Did this with one of them awhile back)

Edit: There is also a Misheard lyrics parody I did that I have stored on my PMs, but I don't want to submit until I write something else to submit with it.

These Peoples Try To Fade Me? More Homestar for AmIRight! I thought of doing one called "Strike Of The Trogdor" set to "Strike Of The Ninja" by DragonForce, but never got around to it. I just hate slumps! And ChuckyG, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. You're a busy man, and I'm surprised you have time for the likes of me.

Written By: wildcard on 08/18/09 at 11:49 pm

One of my ideas  OS Sloop John B  I Wanna Phone Home starring ET

Written By: Matthias on 08/19/09 at 1:48 pm

I don't have the tools that I need to write song parodies at the moment, but I am getting my brand new laptop tonight!  :)
As for right now I'm not using my iPod but in the Disney College Program computer lab
At least I can actually use a keyboard now  :D

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/19/09 at 1:49 pm

I don't have the tools that I need to write song parodies at the moment, but I am getting my brand new laptop tonight!  :)
As for right now I'm not using my iPod but in the Disney College Program computer lab
At least I can actually use a keyboard now  :D

Yay, What kind of laptop are you getting??? DON'T GET AN ACER. . .THEY SUCK. . .sorry wanted to save you just in case. . .

Written By: Medemia on 08/19/09 at 3:32 pm

I have a bunch of ideas bouncing around in my head about song ideas with no song to tie to them.  That's really more the way I work.  I have an idea, find a song to fit, get 'er done.  If I knew contemporary music better (at all), I'd probably have an easier time with this.

Of course, I could always just go original... but musical talent is always a concern.

I agree though, we need more Strong Bad parodies :)

Written By: wildcard on 08/19/09 at 4:58 pm

Bad parodies
Till the day I die.

There I go again
Whatever song and idea comes to mind

Written By: Step-chan on 08/19/09 at 8:57 pm

These Peoples Try To Fade Me? More Homestar for AmIRight! I thought of doing one called "Strike Of The Trogdor" set to "Strike Of The Ninja" by DragonForce, but never got around to it. I just hate slumps! And ChuckyG, thanks for taking the time to answer my question. You're a busy man, and I'm surprised you have time for the likes of me.

I do have an idea for that one as well.

The one I'm talking about is actually called Rap Song(Coach Z accidently featuring Peacey P)

I'll get a link.

Edit: Here ya go... http://www.homestarrunner.com/rapsong.html

It happens to be my favorite.

Written By: Step-chan on 08/19/09 at 9:21 pm

I have a bunch of ideas bouncing around in my head about song ideas with no song to tie to them.  That's really more the way I work.  I have an idea, find a song to fit, get 'er done.  If I knew contemporary music better (at all), I'd probably have an easier time with this.

Of course, I could always just go original... but musical talent is always a concern.

I agree though, we need more Strong Bad parodies :)

Mine usually pop up at random, depending on what songs I'm listening to or what I'm really obsessed with at the moment.

Written By: Arwen on 08/20/09 at 4:58 pm

Is anybody else in a parody writer slump at the moment?  I have ideas, but I'm just too. . .eh. . .to write any of them out. 

I don't know, think I'm too wrapped up in the going back to college after a 7 year absence in two weeks and worrying about my job situation to really finalize any thing I've come up with. . .wonder if anyone else is sharing my pain. . .

Heck if not for Artistry, I would be on a 30 day drought without a single parody. . .which is the second longest drought I've had for non-contest parodies. . .and at this rate, reaching the 2 month mark seems quite likely.

A couple of days late into the conversation, but YES...I'm totally in a slump, and also have ideas that I'm too lazy to finish.  Or uninspired.  Or something.  I think about writing ALL the time.  I WANT to write.  I never finish anything.  I need another Decathlon to get my writing again.  ;)  Of course I'm too lazy to host it...so... :-[

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/20/09 at 5:01 pm

A couple of days late into the conversation, but YES...I'm totally in a slump, and also have ideas that I'm too lazy to finish.  Or uninspired.  Or something.  I think about writing ALL the time.  I WANT to write.  I never finish anything.  I need another Decathlon to get my writing again.  ;)  Of course I'm too lazy to host it...so... :-[

Arwen, I have to say I am a big fan of your parodies, and I am anticipating your next ones. I have noticed you haven't wrote in a while, and I really can't blame you. Writing such satiric genius really takes it out of you! A few weeks ago I had no ideas, and now it seems like I'm having a creative outburst! (Not trying to make you feel bad, Arwen.) Still, no one is leaving me any comments, so I guess my new parodies aren't that good after all...

Written By: Matthias on 08/20/09 at 9:33 pm

You should do "Parody Slump" to "My Humps" by Fergie, lol  ;)

Kinda like "Brainless on this Write" to a crappy Hip-Hop song.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/20/09 at 10:39 pm

You should do "Parody Slump" to "My Humps" by Fergie, lol  ;)

Kinda like "Brainless on this Write" to a crappy Hip-Hop song.

Yeah but Strangers in the Night was a good song. . .there's a big difference there. . .I'd need a Margaritta and a lot of Mountain Dew to tolerate My Humps--even compared only to other Fergie songs.. .My Humps is pretty bad. . .

Arwen, I'd love to see another Decathlon, but as the host of the SOTM, POTQ,ABC, and Artistry, I don't think I could do that right now, but hey, I'd join it if someone else did!

Written By: Arwen on 08/20/09 at 11:47 pm

Arwen, I'd love to see another Decathlon, but as the host of the SOTM, POTQ,ABC, and Artistry, I don't think I could do that right now, but hey, I'd join it if someone else did!

I absolutely didn't mean for that to come across as a request for you to start a new Decathlon, Dave...more of a commentary on how truly lame I am.  I'm overly critical of folks in my "real life" who complain about things...but do nothing to change them.  Yet here I am, wishing for a contest that I'm not willing to host.  Yeah...I'm kind of a dud.  Thankfully I'm a totally cute dud...or what would I have going for me?  ;)

Written By: EthanM on 08/21/09 at 12:53 pm

Calling my current level of parody production a slump would be a severe understatement. Part of it is from being busy elsewhere and part is from the relative dearth of new songs worth parodying, but I'm sure bringing "Idle" back would get me started again. I don't want to host or even vote, just write and I see nothing wrong with that. I'd also like to see it expanded to alloe everyone to participate and to include a  "group round" in which writers have to collaborate, but who would be willing and able to run such a thing?

Written By: Step-chan on 08/24/09 at 3:09 pm

My CD player, which is a cheap one, is starting to glitch on the digital number display. Who knows what else will happen to it.

I have plans to do some parodies this week if possible, hopefully it will hold out for alittle longer.

If it doesn't, I'll either do the Homestar Runner site song parodies or try to do most of the others online.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/24/09 at 4:36 pm

My CD player, which is a cheap one, is starting to glitch on the digital number display. Who knows what else will happen to it.

I have plans to do some parodies this week if possible, hopefully it will hold out for alittle longer.

If it doesn't, I'll either do the Homestar Runner site song parodies or try to do most of the others online.

Looking forward to your parodies... and I recommend you get an iPod and ditch your CD player.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/24/09 at 6:51 pm

I haven't had the brain juice to write a non-contest parody since Artistry began. Sad, really.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/24/09 at 7:24 pm

I haven't had the brain juice to write a non-contest parody since Artistry began. Sad, really.

Contests are addicting, Conqueror. I've entered a few, but I'm not doing too well. (Reason: One was a tribute and the other had a very obscure subject.)

Written By: Step-chan on 08/25/09 at 6:04 pm

Looking forward to your parodies... and I recommend you get an iPod and ditch your CD player.

Well, if my CD player were a better one. It would be different.

I don't care for iPods.

Written By: DJ Blaze on 08/25/09 at 6:50 pm

Well, if my CD player were a better one. It would be different.

I don't care for iPods.

Yeah, they're not for everyone, but I love the fact that is has great storage and video support.

Back to topic: I'm in sort of a slump right now because I caught a bad cold and fever. But with plenty of food, rest, medicine, and Tekken (LOL I'm a fighting game junkie), I'll be better soon.

Written By: Max Power on 09/07/09 at 6:31 pm

For me it's mostly lack of motivation, I remember when I churned out nearly 100 parodies...then I remember what happened few months ago where I came in too late to vote on SOTM which broke my spirit...went emo for a while and even turned to alcoholism in which one thing led to another...

Actually I made up the last part ;D

Written By: Step-chan on 09/14/09 at 4:15 pm

I'm on vacation this week, so I'm going to try to do some. I'll see if I can attempt it tonight.(even if I'm just improving to get motivated to write the idea to paper)

Written By: DJ Blaze on 09/14/09 at 5:44 pm

I'm taking most of this week off. Sorry guys, but school has caught up to me, and I'm being pulled under. Still, I'll vote in the contests before the deadlines, and have a hip-hop literature parody ready for Decathlon.

Written By: jreuben on 09/18/09 at 9:00 am

I just broke a three-month slump, so I know what you all mean.  I tend to be notoriously streaky in my own head :) 

Written By: Step-chan on 10/02/09 at 4:41 pm

Computer problems kept me from working on the parody of Breed I was doing. I think I got it under control now, so I'll get back to it soon.

Written By: Michael on 11/24/09 at 10:52 am

Was active prior to the presidential election with 5 parodies written and recorded.  Been inactive till last week when I wrote "All The Mixed Up People" to the Beatles Eleanor Rigby.
Got the background music and have tried rehearsing, but I don't think my voice is proper for this song.  Now thinking of finding someone to record it, but not sure where to find them.
P.S. If intersted hearing the five = www.myspace.com/michaeltherfthboys .

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/25/09 at 3:00 pm

Gonna write something this week hopefully.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/25/09 at 3:07 pm

Vote for mine!  :P

:D

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/softcell19.shtml

Written By: DJ Blaze on 11/25/09 at 3:09 pm

I voted/commented.

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/02/09 at 7:05 pm

I am seriously considering formulating a once-a-month parody challenge in January to help spark everyone's humor nodules back into gear. See the contest forum for details to come.  :o

Written By: EthanM on 12/03/09 at 4:51 pm

I'd need something that I wouldn't have to also judge

Written By: wildcard on 12/03/09 at 6:16 pm

I don't have a whole lot of time to be hanging around judging everyone's stuff.

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 12/26/09 at 1:28 pm

I know what you mean...after my parody of "CNR" by "Weird Al", I went on a two month (to the day) dry spell of parody writing. I had plenty of ideas, but I just didn't feel like writing any.  ::)

Written By: Step-chan on 01/03/10 at 5:55 pm

I still haven't gotten back to the parody I started.

Curse you Vay, Dragon Quest 5 and Dragon Warrior 3! :D

Written By: DJ Blaze on 01/07/10 at 7:04 pm

I broke my slump yesterday, but school is keeping me busy.

Check for new replies or respond here...