inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I've just got my first copy of my first professionally-recorded CD

Written By: philbo on 05/05/10 at 10:18 am

:)

...or even  :D ;D :D ;D :D ;D

Subject: Re: I've just got my first copy of my first professionally-recorded CD

Written By: jreuben on 05/05/10 at 10:24 am

Very cool...congrats!

Written By: Rex on 05/05/10 at 5:47 pm

http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/02/beerchug.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/dance2.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/03/dance.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/06/luxhello.gif http://www.inthe00s.com/smile/15/wav.gif

Written By: ladybug316 on 05/06/10 at 7:03 pm

What a triumph!  Congratulations  :)

Written By: Rick Cormier on 05/07/10 at 4:31 am

OK Philbo, that's GREAT! How do we get it into our ears?

Written By: philbo on 05/13/10 at 11:34 am

:D

It's gone on-sale at the Rhythmical Ravings and Rants shop

..more info here ;)

Written By: philbo on 05/20/10 at 7:40 am

...and there's a (rather kind) review of it here, if anyone wants a bit more info...

Written By: John Jenkins on 05/20/10 at 10:46 pm

I got my CD today - thank you for expediting - and enjoyed it very much.  I thought 9 of the 10 songs were brilliant.  I did not find "(Not) Another Christmas Single" to be either creative or humorous, but I really enjoyed the other 9.  I agree with Paul Eccentric's assessment, but calling you a legend might be overstating it a bit.  Or is it?

For the past 7½ years, it has been a lot of fun reading your parodies, but hearing this collection was a lot more so.  I suspect that hearing them live might be even more so, and hope that I will be able to do that in October.

Who is Nonie Alexander?

Written By: philbo on 05/21/10 at 5:36 am

I got my CD today - thank you for expediting - and enjoyed it very much.  I thought 9 of the 10 songs were brilliant. 

:-)  That's pretty quick - it was posted on Saturday.

I did not find "(Not) Another Christmas Single" to be either creative or humorous, but I really enjoyed the other 9.

It is a bit of a rant.. every so often I vent my spleen in music.  Not sure how many of the songs name-checked would mean anything to you over there, though: they're all UK Christmas no1s (that get played ad nauseam every Christmas over here).

I agree with Paul Eccentric's assessment, but calling you a legend might be overstating it a bit.  Or is it?

I think it might be overstating it a bit.. but Paul and I have a bit of a mutual adoration thing going: I think he's closer to legendary status.  But we've shared a stage really rather a lot over the past couple of years, so I'll respect his opinion ;)

For the past 7½ years, it has been a lot of fun reading your parodies, but hearing this collection was a lot more so.  I suspect that hearing them live might be even more so, and hope that I will be able to do that in October.

Thank you - it's looking promising for October.  I'm very much looking forward to it.

Who is Nonie Alexander?

My daughter.  She came to me with that one after messing around with the uke for a couple of hours - it was a one-shot recording (four straight takes, one each for uke, kazoo and the two vocal parts - first time I'd played/sung any of it) that I wasn't sure was going to be on the CD until we'd finished.  But I liked the result so much, it had to go on (also provides a bit of a change in feel).  As an aside, I made the kazoo that I played on that track, and it's the buzziest, loudest kazoo I've ever heard.

Written By: John Jenkins on 05/21/10 at 11:58 pm

My daughter.  She came to me with that one after messing around with the uke for a couple of hours - it was a one-shot recording (four straight takes, one each for uke, kazoo and the two vocal parts - first time I'd played/sung any of it) that I wasn't sure was going to be on the CD until we'd finished.  But I liked the result so much, it had to go on (also provides a bit of a change in feel).  As an aside, I made the kazoo that I played on that track, and it's the buzziest, loudest kazoo I've ever heard.

Sharing music with one's daughter is a very rewarding experience, and Nonie should be commended for her clever lyrics and for the humorous way of poking fun at Oasis without being vicious.  I also commend you for your homemade kazoo - it does sound good!

Written By: philbo on 05/23/10 at 11:21 am

She's good at this sort of thing: I've performed one of hers on occasion, too.  What I like is that she doesn't do the usual teenage crap (of cliché-filled hormone love songs), but has a cool sort of wordplay.  At least, I think it's cool :)

One of our few overlapping tastes in music is Tim Minchin - a fantastic lyricist (though you might not like his religious stuff very much)

Written By: John Jenkins on 07/18/10 at 10:39 pm

It’s been over 2 months since Phil started this thread.  I am surprised that there have not been more responses.  If anyone was considering purchasing Phil’s CD and refrained because I was somewhat critical of one song, let me assure you that the other 9 songs make this well worth the £7.50!

Phil, I listened to Tim Minchin and liked the Peace Anthem for Palestine.  Very clever, but repetitive, and I’ve read better stuff on AmiRight.

Written By: philbo on 08/04/10 at 10:04 am

:)  Thanks.. sorry not to get back earlier, have been away.

The CD is selling, though nearly all to people who've seen me playing and bought one at a gig.  Might be because I haven't got round to doing any real advertising/previewing: keep meaning to get a sample onto YouTube etc. but haven't had the time.

..Peace Anthem is rather repetitive; most of his (e.g. Rock n Roll Nerd, Inflatable You and loads more) aren't, though.

Lyrically speaking there's better stuff on amiright than just about anything that's published & popular - even the sainted Weird Al, if you look too closely at many (most, even) of his songs, they wouldn't stand up well against the competition here.  Minchin, on the other hand, is largely lyrically fantastic (as well as being a ridiculously good pianist).

Check for new replies or respond here...