inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Help with a Song Parody Documentary

Written By: Matthias on 07/15/10 at 6:17 pm

As many of you know I am attending film school in Pennsylvania
Well, I need to make a documentary for my Documentary class and I want to do it about song parodies and the artists who write them especially amongst the indie parody scene

If you guys could help me it would mean the world to me
All you would have to do is film yourself for a little while talking about what writing song parodies has meant to you
Any interesting stories you might have about recording or writing song parodies
What influenced you into writing song parodies
What's your history with song parodies (when did you start writing them)

Anything you want to talk to me on video about would be great (as long as it maintains to song parodies of course)

I want to see how many people I can get sending me videos (Hopefully many of you can participate)

Please get your videos into me ASAP because I need to edit the video and have it done by the end of this semester (you have about 4 to 5 weeks to get it done)

Thank you and I hope to receive many videos from you soon!

ATTENTION: ONCE YOU HAVE THE VIDEO PLEASE POST IT ON YOUTUBE (THANK YOU)

Subject: Re: Help with a Song Parody Documentary

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/16/10 at 3:08 am

Just figured out how the built-in camera on my laptop works, so I may be able to contribute here. Coupla questions, though:

1) How long should our little parody spiel be?
2) Does it matter if the footage isn't as clean as (say) the Nostalgia Critic's stuff?
3) How are we getting the footage to you? PM? Email? Saving it to a DVD and flinging it in your general direction via trebuchet?
4) Will you be able to upload or distribute the final film? Because I'd love to see it all come together (right now, over me).

Written By: Matthias on 07/16/10 at 9:00 am

Just figured out how the built-in camera on my laptop works, so I may be able to contribute here. Coupla questions, though:

2) Does it matter if the footage isn't as clean as (say) the Nostalgia Critic's stuff?
3) How are we getting the footage to you? PM? Email? Saving it to a DVD and flinging it in your general direction via trebuchet?
4) Will you be able to upload or distribute the final film? Because I'd love to see it all come together (right now, over me).

1. Somewhere between 3 to 5 minutes (If that's at all possible)
2. Not too sure what you're referring to as in clean here. Do you mean in look? Or in language? Or what?
3. PM or email works: Here's my email matsbreck@sbcglobal.net
4. As long as the file is an AVI then I should have no problem putting it all together (And I'll upload it to Youtube when I'm finished with it)

Thanks Conqueror let me know if you're able to do this for me

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/16/10 at 5:17 pm

2. Not too sure what you're referring to as in clean here. Do you mean in look? Or in language? Or what?

Both, I guess. The footage my camera gets is kinda dark and grainy, but it's not as bad as mobile phone footage. I could try and mess around with the settings.

And I think it'd be a good idea to keep the language clean as this is for school, after all. I know I always had problems.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 07/16/10 at 5:42 pm

I like the 'flinging it in your general direction via trebuchet' option:) You could write a parody about saving on postage doing that!

Matty I'll try to get something together for you when I get back home, I'm in Norfolk this week

Written By: Matthias on 07/16/10 at 6:40 pm

Both, I guess. The footage my camera gets is kinda dark and grainy, but it's not as bad as mobile phone footage. I could try and mess around with the settings.

And I think it'd be a good idea to keep the language clean as this is for school, after all. I know I always had problems.

You can swear and stuff if it's deemed necessary, I mean this is college...

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/16/10 at 7:10 pm

I like the 'flinging it in your general direction via trebuchet' option:) You could write a parody about saving on postage doing that!

'Trebuchet' to 'Far Away' by Nickelback (it's what's playing on iTunes at the moment)?

Written By: WeirdAbbott on 07/17/10 at 9:23 am

I would love to help with this! I'll get it done ASAP and get it to ya, can't wait to see the finished work! ;D

Written By: Matthias on 07/17/10 at 9:29 am

I would love to help with this! I'll get it done ASAP and get it to ya, can't wait to see the finished work! ;D

Thanks Abbott! I can't wait to make it! It's turning out to be a documentary on Amiright... Probably one of the most original documentaries ever made!

Written By: Matthias on 07/17/10 at 11:41 am

News updated. I just contacted Weird Al's drummer Bermuda Schwartz and hope to get a response from him some time soon... Even if I could get just him talking about what it's like to work on song parodies along side Weird Al would be great to have.

Everyone pray and keep your fingers crossed that I can get this video. It's HIGHLY unlikely but would be a god-send if I could get it.

Written By: Matthias on 07/17/10 at 8:02 pm

So no luck from Bermuda but I got the contact information for Weird Al's manager which is a set in the right direction...

Written By: philbo on 07/18/10 at 4:37 am

Best of luck with the project.. I'm not really sure what I can add, but I'll see if I can get someone to hold the video camera while I waffle

...you weren't really wanting something completely serious, were you?

Written By: Matthias on 07/18/10 at 11:13 am

Best of luck with the project.. I'm not really sure what I can add, but I'll see if I can get someone to hold the video camera while I waffle

...you weren't really wanting something completely serious, were you?

You kidding? We're song parodists... We don't even know what serious is.

Written By: Matthias on 07/18/10 at 2:58 pm

1st video sent in. Thanks you Rex!

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/21/10 at 8:22 am

Got your PM. Add further guidance here, Mr. Director.

Written By: Matthias on 07/21/10 at 8:56 am

Like I said in my PM it would be really great to get one from you since on your Amiright page you have some good history behind you and could really tell a good story with that, but you don't have a video camera or digital camera that takes video. If there's a way you can borrow one from a friend to help me out that would be splendid if not thank you anyways.

Written By: Matthias on 07/21/10 at 12:00 pm

I wrote up a little questioner that I think will help you guys out with your videos.

1. In your opinion what is song parody?
2. Who really inspired you to write song parodies and why did you start writing them?
3. What is your history with song parodies?
4. What is your favorite song parody (not by you)?
5. What inspired you to do recordings (if you do recordings)? If you don’t do recordings why not?
6. What would you consider to be your hit song?
7. What artist do you have the most fun parodying?
8. What topics do you enjoy covering the most in your parodies?
9. Do you think that there will be a day when the parodists on Amiright.com will ever be famous like Weird Al?

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/21/10 at 7:19 pm

I'm currently writing a comedy show that is on in 3 weeks so I'm a little strapped for time with that and two jobs but I'll try to get it done soon.

Written By: Matthias on 07/21/10 at 7:25 pm

I'm currently writing a comedy show that is on in 3 weeks so I'm a little strapped for time with that and two jobs but I'll try to get it done soon.

Thanks man! I appreciate it

Check for new replies or respond here...