inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Calling all UK parody authors

Written By: philbo on 01/13/12 at 9:55 am

http://www.righttoparody.org.uk/

...I know the law should be changing, but keep at 'em until it does

Subject: Re: Calling all UK parody authors

Written By: Matthias on 01/13/12 at 11:48 am

To quote Britta from Community: "I might not eat meat but I'm not going to swallow this injustice!"

This isn't cool. So they're trying to stop you from parodying music! That's not cool at all!!!

Written By: philbo on 01/16/12 at 4:27 am

To quote Britta from Community: "I might not eat meat but I'm not going to swallow this injustice!"

This isn't cool. So they're trying to stop you from parodying music! That's not cool at all!!!

That's how the law over here has been - it's only now they're looking to change it to allow parody without prior permission.  Might mean I get some of my satirical ones used after all: the problem has been that because permission is required, people like the Bremner, Bird and Fortune production people won't even ask e.g. Disney (I sent them the "One would rather like to be king" parody a while back) as the answer will always be "no".

Written By: Peregrin on 07/22/12 at 8:34 am

So, Philbo...

I read the Submission to the IPO's Copyright Consultation (in full, no less, whilst the last day of the Tour De France was on TV in the background.  Oops!  I digressed...)

Well written.  Can I ask has there been any outcome?  What is the state of play at the moment?

Written By: philbo on 07/24/12 at 4:49 am

Well written.  Can I ask has there been any outcome?  What is the state of play at the moment?

We're waiting for the government response: Vince Cable has said he's "minded to accept" recommendations for parody, bringing us more into line with the US "fair use" sort of policy.  Hasn't happened yet, though.

Written By: Peregrin on 07/24/12 at 4:56 am

Thanks for the reply Phil.  I would be interested to hear of any further progress via this thread please :)

Written By: philbo on 07/26/12 at 9:21 am

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/pro-policy/consult/consult-closed/consult-closed-2011/consult-2011-copyright/consult-copyright-response.htm

Consultation response summary published.  Nothing much of any future plans, though there are some interesting submissions in there.

I also find it interesting that they redacted the name of Warner-Chappell in my submission - I suppose I was implying they're legal bullies who either don't understand the law or are well aware of what it is but are throwing their legalistic weight around anyway, so maybe they thought they'd better not annoy such a litigious bunch.

Written By: Peregrin on 07/29/12 at 1:41 am

http://www.ipo.gov.uk/pro-policy/consult/consult-closed/consult-closed-2011/consult-2011-copyright/consult-copyright-response.htm

Consultation response summary published.  Nothing much of any future plans, though there are some interesting submissions in there.

I also find it interesting that they redacted the name of Warner-Chappell in my submission - I suppose I was implying they're legal bullies who either don't understand the law or are well aware of what it is but are throwing their legalistic weight around anyway, so maybe they thought they'd better not annoy such a litigious bunch.

Thanks for keeping us up to date, Phil.

As for the closing lines of your own submission:

Please change the law to allow the same sort of fair use as they have in the US: it will harm nobody (with the
possible exception of litigious copyright lawyers), and make the world a happier place.

Beautiful  ;D

Written By: philbo on 07/30/12 at 3:43 am

:)  Thank you.

Did you by any chance read the "Ed Copylight" submission?

Written By: Peregrin on 07/30/12 at 4:41 am

:)  Thank you.

Did you by any chance read the "Ed Copylight" submission?

Well, I hadn't but I have now.

Hmmm, I see some interesting writing in there.  Quite probably the most enjoyable submission I have ever read...

It can be a bit like trying to explain the earth is not flat in a world that believes it is flat
If the earth was round we would fall off.

and many other gems had me intrigued, but then I found the reference to the virtual Library of Alexander, and that brought it all home!

This Ed Copyright is a talented guy!

Observation: From a distance and with small resolution, figure 3 in the submission could easily pass for a hump shunting yard  ;)

Check for new replies or respond here...