inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: New parody author tool nearing completion

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/15/13 at 10:03 pm

Here is a little preview of what I've spent a dozen or so hours working on so far...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/authors/authorInfo.php?authorFile=johnabarry

Hack off the "johnabarry" and insert a name like malcolmhiggins and you can see info for any author with ten or more parodies.

You can search for a parody with the magnifying glass, you can change the number of entries on each page, you can stretch the columns, the size of the entire table, you can hide columns.  It slices, it dices, it's a desert topping and a floor wax.

The only thing missing is the "show all comments" function, which won't take long, it's just too damn late at night for me to work any longer on it. I also need to work on the layout a bit, and some other cosmetic issues.

This is meant as a tool for primarily for the site authors, so it will not take the place of the existing author listings, it will be a more detailed view anyone that wants to can use.  A power user type of thing that will be linked to on the author index for each author. I don't expect people to hack the url on a regular basis >grin<

Subject: Re: New parody author tool nearing completion

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/15/13 at 11:37 pm

You are a king of men.

Written By: Matthias on 04/16/13 at 12:44 am

Holy cow! That's totally cool and helpful!!! :D

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/16/13 at 7:36 am

I was thinking this morning I could also make a "show all comments from past week" type of feature as well.

Probably going to be a few days until I get some more time to work on it again though.

Written By: 2nz on 04/16/13 at 2:39 pm

Yeah this interface is outstanding. Great work.

In regards to the 'show all comments' feature, I would find a feature that lists the last 10 comments received on parodies of that of the selected author based on timestamp helpful as well. Both features would function similarly, and I'm not sure if coding the latter would be more complex.

Written By: Rex on 04/16/13 at 5:41 pm

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/16/13 at 8:40 pm

Yeah this interface is outstanding. Great work.

In regards to the 'show all comments' feature, I would find a feature that lists the last 10 comments received on parodies of that of the selected author based on timestamp helpful as well. Both features would function similarly, and I'm not sure if coding the latter would be more complex.

That's kind of what I'm thinking of doing, maybe not for an entire week, but then again, maybe I could.

the biggest problem I have is the amount of space taken up in the file I'm saving the author info. I was running into memory limits with the larger author files.  I could probably get around that problem by making the "latest comments for the author" thing a separate file and separate link entirely. 

Hopefully I can code something up by the end of the week

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/17/13 at 8:13 pm

I did some work on it tonight, totally exhausted now though so I'm still not quite finished.

The tool now has the author info on it, and also has a link to the last 10 days worth of comments (only updates when the author listing is updated in the morning).

Once I finish putting the site layout in place on it, I'll release it to the world.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/20/13 at 11:28 am

made some further refinements to it today.  I'll try adding a direct link on everyone's author page to the new extended info later.

Written By: ChuckyG on 04/20/13 at 9:38 pm

it's up there now on all the author pages.

I'll be working on a new feature for authors to build a list of their top ten songs.  Probably be a week or two before that's ready though

Written By: 2nz on 04/26/13 at 2:06 pm

The update to authors page looks great. And I'm excited about the progress on this. Thanks Chucky.

Check for new replies or respond here...