inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Remove Voting

Written By: Matthias on 06/28/14 at 10:51 am

I normally like voting but the abuse of somebody voting 1s then clearing out their cookies and voting 1s again and again and again because of some messed up social inept disease has been spreading across Amiright lately. Every single day when I log in to read people's well crafted and extremely deserving of 5s work some little bastard has come to our site just to troll people and leave 1s. I tried ignoring it but it's starting to really annoy me and I think that the only possible way of getting rid of this pest is to either give us the option of receiving votes/ not receiving them just like the way we have that option with comments. I for one would like to see it removed completely BUT it has become a staple of Amiright knowledge and there are even parodies written about it so removing it would be removing a bit of history I just say it would be nice to have the option of getting or not getting votes and just comments.

What do you weigh in on this Chucky G? 

Subject: Re: Remove Voting

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/28/14 at 9:21 pm

I hopped over here to start a thread addressing this, too. This spirit of bad sportsmanship has rendered the value of this feature sadly moot. As I state in comments on one of my works recently, this character (or characters have no brains , heart or courage. I sneakily suspect our nemesis Dr. Music is behind this. Voting has always been so arbitrary and the meaning of each category defined multiple ways by everyone anyway., I hate to say it but if it dissapeared I would not miss it.

Written By: ChuckyG on 06/29/14 at 4:58 pm

it's always been a problem.  removing it just lets them win really.  I do have a duplicate IP check script, but due to the size of the site, it takes forever to run, so I don't do it very often.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/30/14 at 7:59 am

it's always been a problem.  removing it just lets them win really.  I do have a duplicate IP check script, but due to the size of the site, it takes forever to run, so I don't do it very often.

I see where you are coming from, but I gotta stress at this point in time, this isn't random trolling. This person waits for the daily update and pops those votes in as soon as possible, systematically. I can't say whether or not they vote for EVERY new parody, but its very disconcerting when you see it every day happening for your own stuff.

Written By: philbo on 07/17/14 at 7:39 am

One thing it'd be interesting to know is just how many people are involved: this parody from yesterday has received 6 1-votes & I kind of suspect there's only one person involved.

It'd be interesting to cross-reference against IP address for parody submissions, too (though I know that doesn't give proof: what with VPNs and proxies & some ISPs giving large numbers of people the same public IP address, it's possible to hide or be mistaken for others; however, I wouldn't mind betting that the spiteful pettiness that goes with the 1-voting does not coincide with huge amounts of technical ability..)

I don't think removing the voting is the answer.. I've started counting the quantity of votes & not caring about the numbers - so my latest parody has 9 votes, which is more than average after 24 hours. :)

Written By: ChuckyG on 07/17/14 at 10:47 pm

One thing it'd be interesting to know is just how many people are involved: this parody from yesterday has received 6 1-votes & I kind of suspect there's only one person involved.

It'd be interesting to cross-reference against IP address for parody submissions, too (though I know that doesn't give proof: what with VPNs and proxies & some ISPs giving large numbers of people the same public IP address, it's possible to hide or be mistaken for others; however, I wouldn't mind betting that the spiteful pettiness that goes with the 1-voting does not coincide with huge amounts of technical ability..)

I don't think removing the voting is the answer.. I've started counting the quantity of votes & not caring about the numbers - so my latest parody has 9 votes, which is more than average after 24 hours. :)

I'm pretty sure I know who it is.  They are trying to mask their nonsense by connecting to the web from two different connection points. If they continue to pull it, they're going to be banned plain and simple. I've blocked the IP from voting further (I think, been a long time since I added one and I'm not sure the ban thing works on voting anymore).

I'd rather not do away entire with voting, and since I know it's only one jackass, I might just do away with them.

Written By: philbo on 07/18/14 at 12:10 pm

:)

Check for new replies or respond here...