inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: An Allan Sherman-related moment of awesomeness

Written By: MasonR on 01/29/16 at 12:10 pm

I hope this is not too off-topic but I had to share this with the Amiright community. As song parody writers, I figured some of you might appreciate this story.

Last night, while going through my mother-in-law's stuff (she passed away 3 years ago and left us boxes and boxes of things) I found a parodist's treasure: An acetate of Allan Sherman talking and singing through his hilarious Jewish-themed parody of the entire "My Fair Lady" musical (photo of the label is attached). If you have the Rhino box set "My Son, The Box", you've heard it--that was the only time it was ever officially released. The performance took place at an NBC Christmas party in 1963. Bootlegs were floating around the NY theater/entertainment party scene in the early-mid 60s, but what I found, based on the info on the label, may be very close to the original source, but I wasn't sure.

So I found and contacted Mark Cohen, who wrote "Overweight Sensation--the Biography of Allan Sherman". He confirmed it's fairly rare, although not very valuable since it has been released. He put me in touch with Allan Sherman's son, who offered to buy it from me because he doesn't have a copy and would love to have it in his collection. It's not about the money--I'm sure I could get more if I put it up on eBay--but as I told him, it is an honor for me to make sure this artifact ends up with the Sherman family. And so, on Saturday night I'm going to put it on a turntable and play it for my family and a few friends, and then on Monday I will send it to its rightful owner.

Allan Sherman was the main reason I started writing parodies, and having the opportunity to chat with his son and express how big a role his father played in my life was a HUGE honor.

Had to get this off my chest :-)

Subject: Re: An Allan Sherman-related moment of awesomeness

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/29/16 at 10:53 pm

I hope this is not too off-topic but I had to share this with the Amiright community. As song parody writers, I figured some of you might appreciate this story.

It's possibly the most on-topic thing that's happened here in ages.

I have a set of "My Son, The Box," and know the parody of which you speak.  I had no idea that any originals still remained.  There are things we own -- like my box set, and there are things for which we are merely custodians, and it's our job to take care of them until we can pass them on to someone who can care for them better than we can ourselves.  Like your original.

Congratulations on the find, on taking good care of it, for helping the Son of Sherman smile - in a way in which his dad made us smile - and for giving it one last playthrough for yourself and your friends, because you also understand that records, however precious and fragile, were meant to be played.  It's a part of musical history, and you are now a part of that story. 

Written By: Rex on 01/30/16 at 8:27 am

It's not about the money--I'm sure I could get more if I put it up on eBay--but as I told him, it is an honor for me to make sure this artifact ends up with the Sherman family. And so, on Saturday night I'm going to put it on a turntable and play it for my family and a few friends, and then on Monday I will send it to its rightful owner.

That is awesome.

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/04/16 at 8:07 am

8) 8) 8) 8)+++

Check for new replies or respond here...