inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE "I miss the ladies of the eighties" (September 01)

Written By: K1chyd on 08/24/17 at 8:42 am

I've been thinking about how to revitalize Amiright. This place has meant and still means a lot to me. Now I've come up with an idea. I call it ONE WEEK NOTICE. It's not a competition, but it relies on the comparative (see what I did there) spirit of us parody authors. Noobs are as welcome as veterans to tag along - keep reading.

The concept is quite simple, I hope it can get you people here to write parodies of the SAME ORIGINAL and then post them on the SAME DAY.

I will use the "Amiright Events" on top of the front page to announce that ONE WEEK FROM NOW I will post a parody based on a specific original song. I will NOT tell the title of my parody. I will NOT tell what the subject or theme is. I will only tell what orginal song I will use and what (up)date the parody will be submitted for. It will probably be a Friday to Friday thing (I've got three prepared, after that no promises), since Friday parodies normally stays on the front page over the full weekend.

I'm posting here on the inthe80s too because I need a link for that front page news category.

Again: These are NOT rules. This is NOT a contest. If based on the minimal information given someone else should manage to come up with the same title or some of the same lines within the parody as me - Great, that will make comparison even funnier!

Also: Anyone can give ONE WEEK NOTICE for his/her work. Don't forget to use the front page of Amiright. I don't want this to be my gig alone, that would defeat the purpose of revitalizing Amiright. Give your own ONE WEEK NOTICE for parodies based on original songs that look like they're ripe for yet more alternative takes. So what if the "Amiright Events" should get several ONE WEEK NOTICES at once? Last it was updated at all was Dec 07! Let's rock Chucky's socks off there!

All that said: My starter is an original song called "I miss the ladies of the eighties" by Danish rocker Dennis Develin. You've never heard of him. I've never heard of him. Until recently. But he rocks! And this song has a great hook/chorus that can be varied in many different ways, I'm sure of it because I already have more than ten lines for it than I can't fit into the actual parody I plan to submit for next Friday, September 01.

Dennis Develin - "I miss the ladies of the eighties"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0z8cRXvZISw

Lyrics are hard to find, so I'll give them here:

I remember another time
When all the girls dressed up and drove me crazy
Lots of make-up and grease in the hair
Today the girls' kinda lazy

I miss the fire
Today there's no desire

I miss the ladies of the eighties

All you women around the world
Listen to what I have to say to you
You gotta change your style
If you wanna be mine
Don't be afraid to be fine

I miss the fire
Today there's no desire

Today we got the internet
But we're only touching ourselves
I miss the eighties

Give it to me

(Solo)

Today we got the internet
And we're only touching ourselves
I miss

Let the good times come back to be
I miss those girls, do they miss me

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE "I miss the ladies of the eighties" (September 01)

Written By: Matthias on 08/24/17 at 9:42 am

Great idea! So each week somebody else picks out an original song to parody?

Let's do this... Make these original songs rather easy to parody. So no rap or anything too challenging to parody.

We can do fresh songs (ones that haven't been parodied too much) and I think that's a great idea

Written By: K1chyd on 08/24/17 at 10:21 am

Let's do this... Make these original songs rather easy to parody. So no rap or anything too challenging to parody.

We can do fresh songs (ones that haven't been parodied too much) and I think that's a great idea

I have three songs written/stockpiled.
I plan to do this for three weeks to get the ball rolling.

I don't wanna set no fixed rules for how to go about it though.

If someone else wanna use the concept after that - great.
If someone else wanna test the concept for themselves, after or even before that - no problems by me.

It will probably be funnier to have as many peeps as possible on the same song at once though.
6 on just 1 at a time is probably better than 2 on each of 3 different ones etc.
But that would still be a good outcome too methinks.

The "Amiright Events" category is on top of the front page of Amright, the more action there, the better for the site. I was pondering that when I came up with the idea/concept.

I submitted the first to "Amiright Events" as soon as I had this page here started, I hope Chucky still check to see if there's an update for it every day. Since there hasn't been one since December 07 there's a risk he wont, but I've mailed him separately and we'll see.

As for my three starters; the first two will be rather easy to parody, and they're with songs (even artists) that have so far never been parodied on Amiright. The third one is probably a bit harder - was for me anyway, it has dialogue - but it's not rap. ;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/24/17 at 10:35 am

Awesome idea k1chyd!

sometimes the best ideas are simple ones. I can't guarantee that I will participate, but absolute kudos to you.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 08/24/17 at 5:52 pm

It's definitely an intriguing concept. Given how I'm currently doing a random song a day, though, I don't think this'd be something I'd be in to, to be perfectly honest. Then again, given my Monday-to-Friday track record, I clearly don't need anymore revitalising. You guys have fun, though.

Written By: Below Average Dave on 08/24/17 at 7:13 pm

I also like the idea of incorporating currently popular hits, not to be funny but one of my biggest reasons for success as a kj/vj has been using newer music to attract a younger crowd.  This is no different.  A parody of Despacito or Shape of You is more likely to attract outside attention than a parody of a Frank Sinatra song...so while I will participate in this as it's intended I'm challenging you me and anyone who wants to join us to also take on one current billboard top 40 hit per week (or your country's equivalent) also on Friday...if we all blow up Friday it may be enough to spark regular visitors on that day of the week.

Written By: annimal on 08/24/17 at 8:12 pm

something to think about.  I'm tired of the shoe spammers around here in the 00's

Written By: K1chyd on 08/25/17 at 5:32 am

I was surprised to receive an inbox notification being that I haven't released a written piece on AmIRight since 2012, not because I haven't written anything but because my career took off, the competitions actually took away from my writing style and I got away from recording which I personally love.  While I have released several parodies over the past couple years, I haven't posted to AmIRight outside the recording section while quitely still doing work as a moderator.  Honestly, I think it's important for parody writers to have an outlet, and if there's something I can do to help rebuild AmIRight to the active level it once was I'd like to help, especially if it's not a competition which forces me to alter the charm of the original songs by completely ignoring what the words chorus and hook mean.  I can't promise anything on rarer songs as I tend to target top 40 hits as they get more downloads, but in the effort to try and make sure an important creative outlet for parodists does not cease to exist, I will try and participate, especially since I've been specifically asked and invited to do so by you.

Well, posting recordings certainly counts as being active on the front page of Amiright  :) so of course you got a personal invite. Also because you were a frequent threadstarter here on the forum back in the day, so easy to find among the others I've managed to ping.

Written By: K1chyd on 08/25/17 at 5:37 am

Counting both here and personal feedback it looks like we're already up to at least 6 people working on parodies for next Friday - not even 24 hours gone!  :)

Written By: annimal on 08/25/17 at 11:12 am

I plan to take a real good look and see if ideas for parodies start flowing in me again.

Written By: annimal on 08/25/17 at 4:54 pm

so there's no rules? If I could possibly come up with anything I can just put it up or do I have to give a warning?

Written By: K1chyd on 08/25/17 at 10:35 pm

so there's no rules? If I could possibly come up with anything I can just put it up or do I have to give a warning?

Just submit your parody for the update next Friday September 01.

No rules beyond that except no calling dips - if two or more authors should happen to come up with the same title sub then that's just cool - great minds think alike and all that. 8)

Written By: annimal on 08/26/17 at 2:13 pm

Of course that's cool.  It might be a little bit of a problem if like the parodies ended up close to or exactly the same.  Hope I can finish my parody by Sept 1st

Written By: c4p on 08/27/17 at 3:21 pm

Hi everybody.  Claude Prez here.  The first thing I want to say is thank you, Peter, for doing this.  The next thing is that I know I should probably keep my mouth shut, because I haven't been here much for a very long time.  Yet, I've realized lately that this place has meant a lot to me as well, and I too have been thinking about it a lot.  Unfortunately, it's begun to feel very much like an uphill battle, a too little too late-type situation.

On the one hand, I want to be appreciative of everything Chucky has always done to keep this place running.  It was so awesome for so long -- when I left, I guess I didn't realize just how special it had been.  On the other, I've always had disagreements about the way certain things were handled, and in a way what's happened here makes perfect sense.  So while I am planning on participating in this event to bring more positivity to the site, I'd also like to use this thread as a way to brainstorm additional rejuvenation ideas to see if we can reach any sort of consensus about what the specific problems are and what realistically can be done, especially when it appears (at least to me) that Chucky himself isn't very interested in changing anything.

I have lots of thoughts myself, some of which I shared in some comment sections, but I'll wait and see if anyone's interested before I spill my guts again.  Thanks for reading.

Written By: ChuckyG on 08/30/17 at 8:11 pm

I have lots of thoughts myself, some of which I shared in some comment sections, but I'll wait and see if anyone's interested before I spill my guts again.  Thanks for reading.

it's not that I don't want to change things, it's more a lack of free time. I also have some immediate concerns on keeping the site running right now that need to be addressed which are more pressing than new features.  I need to move the site onto a more up to date server and start using HTTPS. I really haven't been able to figure out the right solution to that yet because I also have to move all the other sites like this one as well.

I have a couple problems with the scripts I use to update the parodies that need to be fixed. I also need to make the editing scripts more mobile friendly because I know I could enlist more editors if people could use their phones to review new stuff.

I know some stuff has been getting neglected, but I do try to keep up with the trolls on the comments section. That's tougher than it should be because some of them are regular users.  It just adds to my work load and keeps me from fixing other things.

The events page is definitely the place to link stuff to the messageboard.  It's the way the contests used to be run, and those were definitely by the authors themselves.  I've tried organizing some on my own, way back in the early days of the site, but they were almost always more successful if a parody author was running things.

Written By: K1chyd on 08/31/17 at 7:42 am

The submission window is now open, since the Thursday update to the front page has been done - hope to see you all there tomorrow! :)

Written By: K1chyd on 08/31/17 at 7:43 am

Also, I'll now go and kickstart the second ONE WEEK NOTICE, to give everyone interrested a few extra hours.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/31/17 at 8:20 am

The submission window is now open, since the Thursday update to the front page has been done - hope to see you all there tomorrow! :)
mine has been submitted!

Written By: c4p on 08/31/17 at 3:04 pm

it's not that I don't want to change things, it's more a lack of free time. I also have some immediate concerns on keeping the site running right now that need to be addressed which are more pressing than new features.  I need to move the site onto a more up to date server and start using HTTPS. I really haven't been able to figure out the right solution to that yet because I also have to move all the other sites like this one as well.

I have a couple problems with the scripts I use to update the parodies that need to be fixed. I also need to make the editing scripts more mobile friendly because I know I could enlist more editors if people could use their phones to review new stuff.

I know some stuff has been getting neglected, but I do try to keep up with the trolls on the comments section. That's tougher than it should be because some of them are regular users.  It just adds to my work load and keeps me from fixing other things.

The events page is definitely the place to link stuff to the messageboard.  It's the way the contests used to be run, and those were definitely by the authors themselves.  I've tried organizing some on my own, way back in the early days of the site, but they were almost always more successful if a parody author was running things.

Thanks for the reply; I was starting to worry that you were locked up in somebody's basement or something -- "It posts the Barney songs of ten, or else it gets the hose again" (actually he'd never say that; it paces too well haha).

Anyway, like I said in my PM today, sorry for thinking you don't care.  You're obviously really busy, and a site this size must take a ton of work.
Very glad to hear about the events page; that pretty much solves any issues I had about stuff I wanted to do.  So like Peter here, I'm just gonna start trying some stuff.  Thanks again.

Written By: annimal on 08/31/17 at 3:56 pm

unless I can finish it tonight I'm in trouble

Written By: Matthias on 08/31/17 at 5:07 pm

Yeahhhhhhhhh... I got nothin'.... I was thinking "I Miss The Movies Of The 80's" but it wasn't that funny or clever...

Written By: Matthias on 09/01/17 at 9:57 am

Well done today everybody! I was surprised by the turn out all with original ideas! I was surprised that nobody did: "I Dig The Ladies In Their Eighties" idea I had...

I know this isn't a competition but if I had to rank them I would go....

1st Peter
2nd Agrimorfee
3rd Claude Prez
4th Hamend

But you all did good work! Can't wait for the next round!

Written By: K1chyd on 09/01/17 at 10:45 am

It's not a competition - and if you still wanna do some sort of personal ranking (which I can't and will not stop you from, since there are no rules :D) please remember that the originator of a ONE WEEK NOTICE has a huuuuge advantage in that he/she already has a finished parody stockpiled at home when he/she invites other to write to the same original over a limited time. Not that that needs to be the case of course, but for me I figured that it would be embarrasing if I started this whole thing and invited others and then failed to deliver one myself on the day because of some possible live-gets-in-the-way-and-sheesh-happens etc. 8)

Written By: annimal on 09/01/17 at 10:59 am

well I wanted to try to do something and it's not a bad idea to start a hamend thread if I do get some video's out.  I plan to steal and or rewrite some things from Hammond. 

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/01/17 at 2:02 pm

I deem this experiment a success. Let's keep it up.

Written By: c4p on 09/01/17 at 6:25 pm

I was surprised that nobody did: "I Dig The Ladies In Their Eighties" idea I had...

This is an awesome idea; I really wish you'd done it haha

Written By: Matthias on 09/01/17 at 9:00 pm

This is an awesome idea; I really wish you'd done it haha

I might still write it although it'll be late

Written By: annimal on 09/01/17 at 9:57 pm

it's never too late for someone to enjoy it

Written By: Matthias on 09/01/17 at 11:02 pm

it's never too late for someone to enjoy it

Think I'll submit it along with the Round 2 entry

Written By: K1chyd on 09/02/17 at 5:02 am

I was surprised that nobody did: "I Dig The Ladies In Their Eighties" idea I had...

How about doing that one from an undertaker's point of view! :o

Then submit it for Halloween!

Written By: Matthias on 09/06/17 at 3:43 pm

A bit late but I'll have my "Ladies of the 80s" song coming Friday too called "Don't mess with ladies sent from Hades" to kick off Halloween!

https://thumb7.shutterstock.com/display_pic_with_logo/1574900/575430421/stock-photo-a-devil-girl-575430421.jpg

Written By: annimal on 09/06/17 at 4:27 pm

sounds great

Written By: Matthias on 09/08/17 at 10:35 am

http://amiright.com/parody/2010s/dennisdevelin3.shtml

Written By: K1chyd on 09/09/17 at 10:39 am

So to sum this round up, four on the day and one inspired to catch up.
In alphabetical order, by author:

Agrimorfee: http://www.amiright.com/parody/2010s/dennisdevelin1.shtml

Claude Prez: http://www.amiright.com/parody/2010s/dennisdevelin2.shtml

Hamend: http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/dennisdevin0.shtml

Matthias: http://www.amiright.com/parody/2010s/dennisdevelin3.shtml

Peter: http://www.amiright.com/parody/2010s/dennisdevelin0.shtml

Written By: annimal on 09/09/17 at 2:29 pm

I'll see what happens  with me

Check for new replies or respond here...