inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Keelhauled" (for Sept.29 publishing date)

Written By: Matthias on 09/21/17 at 9:19 am

Greetings Parody Authors, welcome to the One Week Notice Challenge. (or OWN--not the Oprah Winfrey Network!  :o)

The purpose of the challenge is that one song is posted in the One Week Notice thread on Friday, and you are to create a parody of it by next Friday's publishing date (barring acts of God/Chucky G). This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded, constructive criticism is encouraged but there is no requirement to read each parody and/or leave comments. This is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow a spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community.

The song chosen ideally should be one that has NOT been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length. The host of the parody must provide a link to the OS (original song) lyrics and a link to a YouTube performance video--even better, posting the lyrics in the dedicated thread. Please also include the year the song was first released to allow for the submission form.

Here is my initial OWN, for publish date of 9/29/2017

"Keelhauled" (2009)
Artist --- Alestorm
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ta-Z_psXODw

My friends, I stand before you
To tell a truth most dire
There lurks a traitor in our midst
Who hath invoked the captain's ire
He don't deserve no mercy
We ought to shoot him with a gun
But I am not an evil man
So first let's have a little fun
We'll tie that scoundrel to a rope
And throw him overboard
Drag him underneath the ship
A terrifying, deadly trip!

Keelhaul that filthy landlubber
Send him down to the depths below!
Make that bastard walk the plank
With a bottle of rum and a yo-ho-ho!

I will not say what he has done
His sins are far too grave to tell
It's not my place to judge a man
But for them he will burn in hell
The sharks will dine upon his flesh
And Davy Jones will have his soul
Take his money and his hat
He won't need them where he's gonna go
But first let's tie him to a rope
And throw him overboard

We'll tie that scoundrel to a rope
And throw him overboard

* Alestorm is a multi-national heavy metal band originally from Perth, Scotland. Their music is characterised by a pirate theme, and as a result they have been dubbed a "pirate metal" band by many critics and their fanbase. (from Wikipedia)

** I'm not exactly sure how I stumbled upon this group but I instantly fell in love with their unique theme and sound. They incorporate accordions, fiddles and tin whistles to form a type of power metal sound with sea shanty lyrics. I think you guys will have a blast with this one. Totally Peter Andersson's type of music (unique metal and rock groups) and Agrimorfee's type of music (oddball tunes hardly done before on Amiright).

Good luck. See you Sept 29!

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Keelhauled" (for Sept.29 publishing date)

Written By: K1chyd on 09/21/17 at 11:06 am

** I'm not exactly sure how I stumbled upon this group but I instantly fell in love with their unique theme and sound. They incorporate accordions, fiddles and tin whistles to form a type of power metal sound with sea shanty lyrics. I think you guys will have a blast with this one. Totally Peter Andersson's type of music (unique metal and rock groups) and Agrimorfee's type of music (oddball tunes hardly done before on Amiright).

Well, I do have their song "Drink" in my favorite running/jogging songs collection - with a straight 80 BPM drum track it's perfect for maintaining 160 steps per minute when tired. Come to think about it I should totally look into parody that one too down the line. But first things first - now I have to familiarize myself with this one (it sounds vaguely familiar, probably tubed it before at some point, but I can't say I know this particular one).

Written By: Matthias on 09/21/17 at 11:15 am

Well, I do have their song "Drink" in my favorite running/jogging songs collection - with a straight 80 BPM drum track it's perfect for maintaining 160 steps per minute when tired. Come to think about it I should totally look into parody that one too down the line. But first things first - now I have to familiarize myself with this one (it sounds vaguely familiar, probably tubed it before at some point, but I can't say I know this particular one).

I'm not familiar with "Drink". I should check that one out... I really want to see this band live because I bet they put on a heck of a show

Written By: K1chyd on 09/22/17 at 11:48 pm

Title ideas for the stuck: Cheese balls / Meat balls / Steep wall / Need all / Keep cool / Bankroll / Meat wall / Feet tall / Leafs fall / Eat all / Free fall / Beach balls / Space balls / Three small / Please call / Not all / Etc

And haul is a rather soft syllable so words that rhyme with spawn and on etc normally works too.

Written By: Matthias on 09/23/17 at 9:28 am

Title ideas for the stuck: Cheese balls / Meat balls / Steep wall / Need all / Keep cool / Bankroll / Meat wall / Feet tall / Leafs fall / Eat all / Free fall / Beach balls / Space balls / Three small / Please call / Not all / Etc

And haul is a rather soft syllable so words that rhyme with spawn and on etc normally works too.

Isn't "keel" 2 syllables "kee-uhl" such as in the words "feel" (fee-uhl)/ "meal"(mee-uhl)/ "deal" (dee-uhl)???

Written By: K1chyd on 09/23/17 at 10:10 am

Isn't "keel" 2 syllables "kee-uhl" such as in the words "feel" (fee-uhl)/ "meal"(mee-uhl)/ "deal" (dee-uhl)???

On its own and pronounced slowly there's room for that, absolutely, but that's not the way they sing it here IMHO. Also, considering the next syllable the transition would become "uhl-haal", very similar syllables, and a bit tongue-twisting, so to my old ears they've compressed that to just "haal" in this fast sung song.

I can report making good progress on my parody BTW.  :)

Written By: karen on 09/23/17 at 11:48 am

That's an accent thing.  Depends where you're from, like is ''oil'' one or two syllables?

Written By: Matthias on 09/23/17 at 4:55 pm

I'm gonna do "STEAL ALL..." about Internet Pirates to this tune...

https://ak6.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/3843086/thumb/3.jpg?i10c=img.resize(height:160)

Written By: Matthias on 09/25/17 at 7:55 am

If anybody wants to take on a current events topic: "KNEEL Y'ALL" would work...

https://thumbs.mic.com/MzAyNDhiZThkNiMvUGZWYnFYeXRoUnNiMXY5NVhVakRrTmJzTmRvPS8weDM1OTozNTA1eDIxNDgvMTYwMHg5MDAvZmlsdGVyczpmb3JtYXQoanBlZyk6cXVhbGl0eSg4MCkvaHR0cHM6Ly9zMy5hbWF6b25hd3MuY29tL3BvbGljeW1pYy1pbWFnZXMvbW55Y3A3emRjOW9rZnQwcXl3ajk4b3NiNGN6NGdsemtodnhwdHl1NWRldHpuOHQ4eGptcWJoYmU5cDYwY3J5ZC5qcGc.jpg

I hate doing political parodies and sports parodies so this isn't a great idea for me but for somebody else SURE!

Written By: K1chyd on 09/25/17 at 12:26 pm

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSmMEPDVGa6KT8OAVnNOd2Otqrz6X3EslDjdmF2BAPNbwSI46LJ

Well, I'm already heavily invested in my own theme, but looking at the autumn outside my window I kinda regret not doing "Leaves Fall" about sitting cozy near the radiator with a good book, a warm blanket, a cup of hot chocolate and a view outside - kinda like a total reversal of the OS rather violent lyrics.

Written By: philbo on 09/25/17 at 6:50 pm

Am I the only one who thinks the person they're talking about can't be both a traitor and a landlubber? Not convinced they've given the chap a fair trial :)

Written By: philbo on 09/26/17 at 7:01 am

But have finished a paean to my lack of hair, ready to be submitted for Friday :-)

Written By: Matthias on 09/26/17 at 7:46 am

But have finished a paean to my lack of hair, ready to be submitted for Friday :-)

Awesome! Thanks for joining us!

Written By: K1chyd on 09/26/17 at 11:25 pm

Guessing "I'm bald" (something something combover)" ;)

Me, I'll do a take on omnipresent surveillance and a particular know-it-all's possible misuse of it. As it turned out I can choose between two titles picked from right-now use in the choruses, I'll polish and decide before posting.

Written By: philbo on 09/27/17 at 3:39 pm

Close.. I went for "Near Bald" as a title sub.  And a combover is mentioned but not as a "landlubber" sub :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/28/17 at 8:17 am

Coming soon... "We'll Troll The Bloody Bloodsucker" !!!  :o

Written By: Matthias on 09/28/17 at 9:16 am

"Steal All... (The Internet Pirate's Theme)" has been submitted...

Written By: K1chyd on 09/28/17 at 12:12 pm

Just submitted "Sees all (does that nosy Northpoler)" 8)

And now on to start the next round.

Written By: Matthias on 10/02/17 at 9:20 am

Here are this week's entries! Good job everybody!

1. Agrimorfee: "We'll Troll The Bloody Bloodsucker"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/alestorm0.shtml

2. Matthias: "Steal All... (The Internet Pirate's Theme)"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/alestorm1.shtml

3. Peter Andersson a.k.a K1chyd: "Sees All (does that nosy Northpoler)"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/alestorm3.shtml

4. Phil Alexander: "Near Bald"
http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/alestorm2.shtml

Check for new replies or respond here...