inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Headless Horseman" (for October 13th publishing date)

Written By: Matthias on 10/05/17 at 8:54 am

Greetings Parody Authors, welcome to the One Week Notice Challenge. (or OWN--not the Oprah Winfrey Network!  :o)

The purpose of the challenge is that one song is posted in the One Week Notice thread on Friday, and you are to create a parody of it by next Friday's publishing date (barring acts of God/Chucky G). This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded, constructive criticism is encouraged but there is no requirement to read each parody and/or leave comments. This is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow a spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community.

The song chosen ideally should be one that has NOT been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length. The host of the parody must provide a link to the OS (original song) lyrics and a link to a YouTube performance video--even better, posting the lyrics in the dedicated thread. Please also include the year the song was first released to allow for the submission form.

The next One Week Notice song for publish date of 10/13/2017 is.......

"Headless Horseman" (1949)
Artist - Bing Crosby
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysNSKrH8hHo

Brom: Just gather 'round
and I'll elucidate
on what goes on outside when it gets late.
Long about midnight,
The ghosts and banshees,
They get together for their nightly jamboree.
There's things with horns and saucer eyes
some with fangs about this size.

(Speech)
Woman #1: Some are fat.
Woman #2: And some are thin.
Creepy Man: And some don't even wear their skin!

(Speech in rhyme)
Brom: Oh, I'm telling you, brother,
it's a frightful sight'
to see what goes on Halloween night.

When the spooks have a midnight jamboree,
they break it up with fiendish glee.
Ghosts are bad,
but the one that's cursed
is the Headless Horseman,
he's the worst.

Chorus: That's right,
he's a fright on Halloween night.

Brom: When he goes a-joggin
cross the land,
holdin' a noggin',
in his hand,
demons take one look and groan,
and hit the road for parts unknown.

Chorus: Beware, take care, he rides alone.

Brom: And, there's no spook like the spook that's spurned.
Chorus: They don't like him, and he's really burned.
Brom: He swears to the longest day he's dead,
All: he'll show them that he can get a head

Brom: They say he's tired of his flamin' top,
He's got a yen to make a swap.
So he rides one night each year,
to find a head in Hollow here.

Women: Now, he likes them little, he likes them big.
Men: Parted in the middle, or a wig.
Chorus: Black or white, or even red.
Brom: The Headless Horseman needs a head.

All: With a hip-hip and a clippety clop,
he's out looking for a top to chop.
Brom: So don't stop to figure out a plan,

All: you can't reason with a headless man.

(Speech in rhyme)
Brom: Now, if you doubt this tale is so,
I met that spook just a year ago.
Now, I didn't stop for a second look,
but made for the bridge that spans the brook.
For once you cross that bridge, my friends,

Chorus: The ghost is through, his power ends.

Brom: So, when you're riding home tonight,
make for the bridge with all your might.
He'll be down in the Hollow there.
He needs your head.
Look out! Beware!

Women: With a hip-hip and a clippety clop,
Men: He's out looking for a head to swap.
All: So, don't try to figure out a plan,
you can't reason with a HEADLESS MAN!!!!!!

* Happy Halloween Amirighters! This one is from the Disney movie "The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad" which debuted in the year 1949. Bing Crosby has been parodied several times on Amiright before and Disney songs have been done to death on this site with "Be Our Guest" being one of our Big 7. As far as I know NOBODY has done this song before.

** The toughest part of doing this song will be coming up with a good rhyme for Headless but a few possibilites are "Breakfast", "Friendless", "Dentist", "Senseless", Etc. Also Horseman is a tough word to rhyme too but a few possibilites for that are "Norseman", "Sportsman", "Portland", "Jordan", "Orphan" or "Northman" for example.

*** You could also do any 2 syllable word for "Headless" and any 2 syllable word for "Horseman" if you wanted to. "Spray Tanned Dumbass" and do a Donald Trump for example.

Have fun!!!

Entries due OCTOBER 13th!!!

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Headless Horseman" (for October 13th publishing date)

Written By: annimal on 10/05/17 at 11:00 am

well a hip hip and a hippie hop.  I'll have to refresh my memory and see how I'm doing.

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Headless Horseman" (for October 13th publishing date)

Written By: K1chyd on 10/05/17 at 12:06 pm

Well, I don't think it's your "initial" OWN this time, and this one looks hard, but I'm in, something will come to me when I start working on it Saturday. Sleepless, thoughtless, tasteless, coolest, earnest - not that worried about the first word in the title, or the second, possibly more about the lenght, but that too usually works out once I've found a theme.

Are you by chance gonna do "Poorest (car) salesman" about yourself maybe? ;-)

Written By: Matthias on 10/05/17 at 12:27 pm

Well, I don't think it's your "initial" OWN this time, and this one looks hard, but I'm in, something will come to me when I start working on it Saturday. Sleepless, thoughtless, tasteless, coolest, earnest - not that worried about the first word in the title, or the second, possibly more about the lenght, but that too usually works out once I've found a theme.

Are you by chance gonna do "Poorest (car) salesman" about yourself maybe? ;-)

Yeah... This isn't exactly a newbie round. A bit more of a Trick than a Treat but still it's a very fun song and you, me, Agrimorfee and Phil Alexander are all vets so I'm sure we can work something out with this one.

As for me I'm gonna do "The Senseless Sports Fan" who loves to pick fights when his team is losing.

http://cdn.ebaumsworld.com/mediaFiles/picture/1044414/85037725.jpg

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/05/17 at 12:36 pm

Well, I don't think it's your "initial" OWN this time,  ...

The next host should just edit that line... :) ("The next One Week Notice song to parody is---")

Nice choice of tune, Matty! This'll be fun.

Written By: K1chyd on 10/05/17 at 12:48 pm

I kinda did that last week already, I wanted to work in an "I'll be your host" early in the intro - and ended up working in a link to Matthias' general OWN discussion thread too. ;)

Correction: Looking back I now see that I forgot to add the actual link, but there's a mention, so at least there's that... 8)

Written By: Matthias on 10/05/17 at 4:21 pm

While this song is a tad bit long it's very easy to parody... I started working on mine today and I'm already almost done writing it!

Written By: K1chyd on 10/07/17 at 3:22 am

While this song is a tad bit long it's very easy to parody... I started working on mine today and I'm already almost done writing it!

Seems you were right. Took me an hour to come up with a subject, and another to reach the first use of my title sub (modern songs don't have these long set-ups so one has to get into the feeling of that) but now I've got a flow going that hopefully will take me through the whole song.

Written By: K1chyd on 10/08/17 at 12:05 am

Also Horseman is a tough word to rhyme too but a few possibilites for that are "Norseman", "Sportsman", "Portland", "Jordan", "Orphan" or "Northman" for example.

For the record I'm not doing "Norseman" or "Northman" because I came up with something else - thought it was tempting for a while to go full viking with "ancient norseman" (or "tasteless norseman", or "welfare norseman" or "clueless norseman" etc).

Would love to see someone else mock us Scandinavians from the outside though. :P

Written By: Matthias on 10/08/17 at 6:53 am

For the record I'm not doing "Norseman" or "Northman" because I came up with something else - thought it was tempting for a while to go full viking with "ancient norseman" (or "tasteless norseman", or "welfare norseman" or "clueless norseman" etc).

Would love to see someone else mock us Scandinavians from the outside though. :P

Dang! I was really hoping that you were going to go that route. All I know about vikings and that culture came from the Norway exhibit at Disney's EPCOT

Written By: annimal on 10/08/17 at 10:21 am

I'm really not getting an idea to do this with.  I've tried something with me, but It doesn't seem to be working out.  I'm going to be training for work and seeing if I can work so I guess this just isn't the time for me to be doing parodies.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/12/17 at 8:31 am

I'm really not getting an idea to do this with.  I've tried something with me, but It doesn't seem to be working out.  I'm going to be training for work and seeing if I can work so I guess this just isn't the time for me to be doing parodies.

Been there Ann...I was completely out of commission here for a year or two... good luck!

Written By: Matthias on 10/12/17 at 8:40 am

The submission window is now open!

(Hope to hear some input on what to do now that Phil dropped out this week... Should I bump up to this week?)

Written By: K1chyd on 10/12/17 at 1:14 pm

Brace yourself, winter is coming - and I just submitted "Naked Snowmen".

Check for new replies or respond here...