inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "I don't wanna be..." (For November 10 publishing date)

Written By: K1chyd on 11/02/17 at 1:18 pm

Welcome to the Friday November 03 to Friday November 10 round of the One Week Notice challenge.

My name is Peter, I'll be your host.

The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or Thursday evening) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

With that said, here's my new One Week Notice (or OWN, as we've begun to abbreviate it) for Friday November 03 to Friday November 10. Twice I've taken you to Denmark and twice to Sweden, this time I'm taking you to Finland to meet a three man rock band named after a Norwegian 19th century fictional character. But mostly I've picked this one because the chorus feels really easy to work with - you can probably take your parodies lots of places with this one.

"I don't wanna be a rock'n'roll star" - 1985
Artist - Peer Günt
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5Uph4Sn-r0

Swaggering guys like Kansas city fags
Sucking their cheecks like hungry shads
If that's a look of the rock'n'roll
There's something wrong

I know the business will take a part of me
In sunshine dreams I do not believe
But there is one thing I wanna say
It never kills my blues

I don't wanna be a rock'n'roll star
Just wanna play my honky guitar
I don't give a damn to fortune and fame
Just wanna do this in my own way

There on the cover of the big magazine
Rock star for the very first time
They don't tell what you are
They tell what you wear

Flash lights cover your way
They know what they want from you
And when years have torn you down
You're alone again

I don't give a damn of fortune and fame
I just wanna do this in my own way

I've been waiting, for this moment so long
And I've been dreaming this way so long time
All these years alone with my guitar
Now I know something so far

Just wanna do this in my own way

I just wanna play my honky guitar
Just wanna do this thing my own way

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "I don't wanna be..." (For November 10 publishing date)

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/02/17 at 2:21 pm

Hmm, Pier Gynt...sweet.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dyM2AnA96yE)
(see what I did there? A classical music joke there, har har...anyway... ::))

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "I don't wanna be..." (For November 10 publishing date)

Written By: Matthias on 11/02/17 at 3:13 pm

Hmmm....

1. "I Don't Wanna Drive A Rotten Ol' Car" (Crappy Car)

2. "On The Hunt To Catch That Pot O' Gold Star" (Trying to catch a Leprechaun)

3. "Working Hard To Beat The Whack-A-Mole Star" (Guy wants to get the high score)

4. "I'm Hanging Ten In The Tropical Storm" (Insane surfer)

5. "Toxic Avenger's Our Toxical Star" (Toxic Avenger tribute)

6. "I Don't Wanna Use Those Cottonelle Shards" (Hates Cottonelle toilet paper)

7. "Working Hard To Beat This Obstacle Course" (Hard obstacle course)

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/02/17 at 3:35 pm

Hmmm.... 
6. "I Don't Wanna Use Those Cottonelle Shards" (Hates Cottonelle toilet paper)

One could use the opportunity to complain about those horrible Cottonelle commercials with the animated bears worried about the tenderness of their asses.

Written By: Matthias on 11/02/17 at 4:30 pm

One could use the opportunity to complain about those horrible Cottonelle commercials with the animated bears worried about the tenderness of their asses.

Crap  ;)

Those are Charmin Bears not Cottonelle Bears... Dammit

Back to the drawing board...

I could still do this topic with the title "I Don't Wanna See Those Charmin Roll Bears"

Written By: K1chyd on 11/02/17 at 11:23 pm

Just scrolling through rhymezone for "star" give me many ideas.

http://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=star&typeofrhyme=perfect

I don't wanna stray from mommy to far (Kid is scared on Halloween)

Putin is a modern Russian czar (Some type of political angle)

Will this boob job add some permanent scars? (Can't go wrong with a parody about boobies)

I'm a bouncer at Canadian bars (Probably no drama, I hear Canadians are so polite)

I'm a dino in primordial tar (Could get stuck on that one, I guess).

#metoo in a backseat Hollywood car (Using #metoo as a noun, or from a pure female perspective)

I don't wanna read another Babar (Are those children's books known outside Europe?)

Bought some doodads in this crazy baazar (Can't go wrong with a list type parody)

Billy went and dropped a moisty cigar (A twenty years to late poke at Bill Clinton)

You will have to wait for my memoirs (Hinting at crazy stuff, but not actually telling)

Written By: K1chyd on 11/03/17 at 12:06 am

If you're a newbie reading this thread (or a veteran swinging by to see what all the fuzz is about), please note that these title suggestions cracked during the brainstorming phase are open for anyone to use, tweak and/or grab for yourself. We are NOT calling dibs here, rather trying to inspire each other.

And so what if two people should end up actually happen to use the same title? It hasn't happened yet, so far we've not even come close.

Written By: Matthias on 11/03/17 at 11:38 am

Come See Matt And Buy A Snazzy New Car is a great title and self promotion lol

Written By: K1chyd on 11/04/17 at 11:00 am

Come See Matt And Buy A Snazzy New Car is a great title and self promotion lol

From the top of my head:

Go to Matty for a snazzy new car
He'll trade your Volvo for Jaguar
At the end of month his firm's taking junk
Business around there's been in a funk

Yeah, this chorus is really easy to work with! ;D

Written By: Matthias on 11/04/17 at 11:50 am

From the top of my head:

Go to Matty for a snazzy new car
He'll trade your Volvo for Jaguar
At the end of month his firm's taking junk
Business around there's been in a funk

Yeah, this chorus is really easy to work with! ;D

Mind if I use that? I like it :-)

Written By: K1chyd on 11/04/17 at 11:59 am

Mind if I use that? I like it :-)

Sure, why not. I did make it up from memory without listening to the original though, so you might need to tweak a word or two.

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/08/17 at 8:48 pm

Guys, as usual I ended up pushing this to the night before Thursday, when I have time to complete the parody and submit the next morning. This song is way harder than I expected...the lyrics are just so plain and direct, it's hard to find a good sub. Or maybe it's just me today. I might approach this some time later, but I can't for this week's OWN. Sorry.

Written By: Matthias on 11/08/17 at 8:53 pm

Guys, as usual I ended up pushing this to the night before Thursday, when I have time to complete the parody and submit the next morning. This song is way harder than I expected...the lyrics are just so plain and direct, it's hard to find a good sub. Or maybe it's just me today. I might approach this some time later, but I can't for this week's OWN. Sorry.

You should get started on it early. It was super easy for me I wrote 2 actually but I like my self promotion one better.

Written By: c4p on 11/08/17 at 10:59 pm

I had trouble with this one as well— the chorus was great but everything else gave me fits.  I’m blaming Matthias though, because I decided to distract myself with Halloween carols so if I don’t pull an OWN song out of my ass tomorrow it’s all his fault. 

Written By: K1chyd on 11/09/17 at 10:39 am

@ Jeff and Claude

The Finn dialect is very special, and this front man does nothing to hide it, I didn't really take that into account. Sorry!

But anyway, if you both got one halfway done - why don't you just contact each other and switch - see if that breaks the writer's block.

You still got at least 15 hours, probably as much as 18, before the submission window closes.

Written By: c4p on 11/09/17 at 7:59 pm

Okay well against all odds I somehow persevered and accomplished this monumental task....actually, it wasn't bad at all once I got going.  The chorus really was a lot of fun (like you said) but I was so focused on the non-rhyming parts I got very stuck.  Anyway, glad I did it; looking forward to seeing the other two (or more?) entries tomorrow.

Check for new replies or respond here...