inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Just Came Back" (For November 24 publishing date)

Written By: K1chyd on 11/16/17 at 10:43 am

Welcome to the Friday November 17 to Friday November 24 (publishing date) round of the One Week Notice challenge.

My name is Peter, I'll be your host.

The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

With that said, here's my new One Week Notice (or OWN, as we've begun to abbreviate it) for Friday November 17 to Friday November 24. Not a Scandinavian/Nordic original song this time. We're heading to Canada, for an old semi-hit that landed the artist a tour with ZZ Top, yet so far not a single parody on Amirigh.

"Just came back" - 1990
Artist - Colin James
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NetqMq8e31k

Well I got stones in my pathway
And my road seems dark at night
I got stones in my pathway
And my road seems dark at night
I got pains in my heart
And they've taken my appetite

When I first saw you I heard the angels sing
I thought of Adam and Eve and that love thing
Oh, I was blinded by the light and I just couldn't see
Papa hidin' up in your apple tree

I really hope you're satisfied
I just came back to say goodbye

Girl I found your little black book
You know I opened it up to get a second look
(I had to get a second, second look)
I saw my best friend's name there on the page
Five gold stars beside his name

(I just came back) Goodbye baby

I felt real bad thought I'd give you a call
I didn't look up your number, I just looked on the wall
You know your best friend said you'd gone for the night
Goin' downtown with your jeans on tight

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Just Came Back" (For November 24 publishing date)

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/16/17 at 1:18 pm

You picked a more normal (he! ::):)) song for this round, thank you.

"Good Bye" inspires a lot of rhyming/near-rhyming possibilities.

Written By: Matthias on 11/16/17 at 6:59 pm

1. Smoked A Pack
2. Such a Quack (About a bad doctor)
3. Munch A Snack
4. Too Much Crack (Drug Addiction OR Pull up your pants)
5. Face Was Smacked
6. Way Off Track
7. Massive Rack

Yeah... This is an EASY one to work with!

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/17/17 at 12:32 pm

Guys, don't be surprised if I don't get this next one in on time. My office is consistently where I can submit to AIR without issues, but we are closed next Thursday and Friday.

Written By: Matthias on 11/17/17 at 2:25 pm

I want to turn this into a super cheesy anti-drug PSA: "Don't Smoke Crack, It Makes You Die"

Written By: K1chyd on 11/18/17 at 12:31 am

Guys, don't be surprised if I don't get this next one in on time. My office is consistently where I can submit to AIR without issues, but we are closed next Thursday and Friday.

Well, as the host of the round I feel that maybe I should help you out with that. Kind of a new issue for OWN that I haven't even thought about before, so maybe the/a discussion belongs better on the general thread if there's pros and cons to consider - but just thinking out loud here it wouldn't take much extra job for any of us if you sent it to me before you leave work on Wednesday (not publicly, but privately here on the forum of course) and then I'd submit it for you when I submit my own.

Written By: K1chyd on 11/18/17 at 12:40 am

I want to turn this into a super cheesy anti-drug PSA: "Don't Smoke Crack, It Makes You Die"

PSA as in Prostate-Specific Antigen?

My new job is at the Urology Clinic so that's where my mind first went when I read PSA! :D

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/20/17 at 10:05 am

Well, as the host of the round I feel that maybe I should help you out with that. Kind of a new issue for OWN that I haven't even thought about before, so maybe the/a discussion belongs better on the general thread if there's pros and cons to consider - but just thinking out loud here it wouldn't take much extra job for any of us if you sent it to me before you leave work on Wednesday (not publicly, but privately here on the forum of course) and then I'd submit it for you when I submit my own.

Hmm, that's a very thoughtful option. It would require me to give you my submission password in order to credit it to myself, but i have no problem with that. If it comes to that, I will get back to you. THANKS! 8)

Written By: Matthias on 11/20/17 at 5:52 pm

"Send These Back" another early Christmas tune is coming up on Friday!

https://s-i.huffpost.com/gen/1498762/images/o-DISAPPOINTED-CHILD-GIFT-facebook.jpg

Written By: K1chyd on 11/20/17 at 10:37 pm

Well, I'm doing the two themes overlapping like a Venn Diagram thing again.
Not sure if it will fit into the title submission field, but my working title has been:

"The higher her net weight, the sweeter the platelets"

About a chubby chasing vampire!

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS0i33EOHIaM5BYguNnZcdWCmZWTWSu2nGAvnErl8iNyLboxoYt

Written By: Matthias on 11/22/17 at 5:31 pm

I finished mine BUT I can't post it till Friday because I post it from the dealership's computer and they aren't open tomorrow... Crap!

Written By: Matthias on 11/27/17 at 7:56 am

Better late than never...

http://amiright.com/parody/90s/colinjames3.shtml

Check for new replies or respond here...