inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE/ TWO WEEK NOTICE "How Far I'll Go" (For January 5th 2018 Publishing Date)

Written By: Matthias on 12/21/17 at 2:09 pm

Welcome to the Friday December 22nd 2017 to Friday January 5th 2018 (publishing date) round of the One Week Notice challenge. My name is Matthias, I'll be your host for this round!

The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

This is a unique round for all of here... Because of the Holidays not only do you get one week to complete the song in BUT 2 weeks!

So you get from December 22nd 2017 - January 5th 2018 to get your entries in! Have fun everybody and Happy Holidays!

Here is another one from Matthias for you Disney lovers!

Song Title: "How Far I'll Go"
Year  - 2016
Artist - Auli'i Cravalho (Moana Soundtrack)
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPAbx5kgCJo

I've been staring at the edge of the water
Long as I can remember, never really knowing why
I wish I could be the perfect daughter
But I come back to the water, no matter how hard I try

Every turn I take, every trail I track
Every path I make, every road leads back
To the place I know where I cannot go
Where I long to be

See the line where the sky meets the sea - It calls me
And no one knows, how far it goes
If the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind me
One day I'll know
If I go there's just no telling how far I'll go

I know everybody on this island seems so happy, on this island
Everything is by design
I know everybody on this island has a role, on this island
So maybe I can roll with mine

I can lead with pride, I can make us strong
I'll be satisfied if I play along
But the voice inside sings a different song
"What is wrong with me?"

See the light as it shines on the sea - It's blinding
But no one knows, how deep it goes
And it seems like it's calling out to me, so come find me
And let me know
What's beyond that line, will I cross that line?

The line where the sky meets the sea - It calls me
And no one knows, how far it goes
If the wind in my sail on the sea stays behind me
One day I'll know
How far I'll go!

DEADLINE = JANUARY 5th, 2018 (It is very important that you DO NOT submit this one on December 29th as usual BUT JANUARY 5th 2018!)

Subject: Re: ONE/ TWO WEEK NOTICE "How Far I'll Go" (For January 5th 2018 Publishing Date)

Written By: K1chyd on 12/21/17 at 10:08 pm

A two week special holiday notice - sure, why not, let's try that! :)

Subject: Re: ONE/ TWO WEEK NOTICE "How Far I'll Go" (For January 5th 2018 Publishing Date)

Written By: EthanM on 12/26/17 at 9:37 am

Finally, another song I've heard of.

I'll try not to jump the gun on publication date this time. Assuming I write something.

Written By: Matthias on 12/27/17 at 9:54 am

Idea time...

1. "Fresh Fallen Snow" (Guy LOVES or HATES snow!)

2. "Hear That Banjo!" (Watch out for Banjo music!)

3. "Outta Ammo!" (Gun runs out of ammo in a video game and runs to save his life)

4. "Bizarre Dildo" (Insane sex toys)

5. "What's That Gizmo?!" (Guy has no idea about technology)

6. "Obscene Photo" (Song about d*ck pics)

7. "Stubbed My Big Toe!" (Ouch!)

8. "Gross Escargo" (Hate snails!)

9. "Dodge Bat Guano" (Cave spelunking)

10. "Too Much Gusto" (Cocky brave dude)

11. "Jar Jar's A Dope" (Star Wars tribute)

12. "Insane Game Show" (Tribute to Japanese game shows)

13. "That's Han Solo" (Another Star Wars tribute)

14. "Just Watched CoCo" (Disney song about a Pixar movie)

15. "Banged My Elbow!" (Ouch!)

16. "Banged That Widow!" (Guy's into old ladies)

17. "Need Some Aloe" (Bad sunburn)

My personal favorites from this list are...

1. "Insane Game Shows"
2. "Bizarre Dildos"

Probably gonna go with one of these two...

Written By: agrimorfee on 12/27/17 at 4:26 pm

Idea time......
2. "Bizarre Dildos"

Probably gonna go with one of these two...

I would reconsider that, buddy... :o :-X

This will be a trickster in some respects, because the title is only in the last lyric line! I hope my parody end up with a good punchline with whatever the title turns out to be...

Written By: K1chyd on 12/30/17 at 1:24 am

Checking the archives there are already TWO parodies with the word dildo in the title, so censoringwise it's possible that Chucky lets you squeeze one more in... ehhh... so to say! 8)

Butt as Agri points out; the title is only used once in the original so this one probably needsanother angle to start with. I've got nothing no so far, not even a simple reversal of the theme seems easy enough. Will look at it again tomorrow morning if life doesn't get in the way.

Written By: Matthias on 12/30/17 at 2:06 pm

I completed mine with the title "NEW STAR WARS BLOWS" with my complaints about "Last Jedi" (which there were an awful lot)

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/QH1jBeuujTw/maxresdefault.jpg

Written By: K1chyd on 01/01/18 at 9:13 am

I'm in. It will be a simple food parody. But at least I'm in.

Written By: Matthias on 01/01/18 at 11:48 am

I didn't realize that this song would be a challenge. That's partly what's fun about this contest because none of these songs have ever been done before you don't know which songs are going to be easy and which are going to be hard.

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/03/18 at 10:43 am

anyone else who is still in...the "calls in/calls me" lyric cries for a telephone related theme... ??? :-X...might go there...

Written By: Matthias on 01/04/18 at 8:57 am

The submission window is now open!

Written By: K1chyd on 01/04/18 at 12:12 pm

The submission window is now open!

"A vegan's lament" has been submitted. 8-P

Check for new replies or respond here...