inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Ten O'Clock Postman" (For January 26th 2018)

Written By: K1chyd on 01/18/18 at 10:10 am

Welcome to the Friday January 19 to Friday January 26 (publishing date) round of the One Week Notice challenge. My name is Peter, I'll be your host.

The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

With all that said, here's the brand new One Week Notice for Friday January 19 to Friday January 26.

Song Title: "Ten O'Clock Postman" - 1979
Artist - Secret Service
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PD4v1xmgOIE

Ten o'clock postman
Bring me her letter
Ten o'clock postman
Make me feel better
Been so many days
Since that I've met her
Ten o'clock postman
Bring me her letter
Bring me her letter

I'm walking all over the room
Wonder why I don't stop biting my nails
Why carry this feeling of doom
A couple more hours and I'll get the mail
I'll get the mail

Finding it so hard to eat
The toast and the eggs they just don't taste the same
Hearing a noise in the street
I run to the window and cry out in vain

Ten o'clock postman
Bring me her letter
Ten o'clock postman
Make me feel better
Been so many days
Since that I've met her
Ten o'clock postman
Bring me her letter
Bring me her letter

Remembering that she said for sure
I'll write you the minute I'll get off the plane
Nothing, not one single word
It must come this morning or I'll go insane
I'll go insane

Now it's been almost five days
Could she have sent it by air or by rail
I hear someone's comin' this way
This must be it, yes it must be the mail

Ten o'clock postman
Bring me her letter
Ten o'clock postman
Make me feel better
Been so many days
Since that I've met her
Ten o'clock postman
Bring me her letter
Bring me her letter

SOME KIND OF SOLO/BREAK

Ten o'clock postman
Bring me her letter
Ten o'clock postman
Make me feel better
Been so many days
Since that I've met her
Ten o'clock postman
Bring me her letter

Ten o'clock postman
Bring me her letter
Ten o'clock postman
Make me feel better
Been so many days
Since that I've met her
Ten o'clock postman
Bring me her letter

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Ten O'Clock Postman" (For January 26th 2018)

Written By: K1chyd on 01/18/18 at 10:12 am

I'm picking this particular song for two reasons.

1: Our very own Claude Prez is a postman - I'm sure this will be his new favorite song!  ;)

2: "Postman" should be easy enough to substitute for an idea-starter: Taxman, Hitman, Caveman, Lineman, Doorman, Batman, etc. Or switch "man" to "boy" and you can go "Gameboy" with a gaming parody. Female writers might wanna head down "Ten O'Clock Boytoy" road.

Please note that chorus 4 and 5 doesn't have the ninth line that chorus 1, 2 and 3 have. And that this is one of those old tunes that starts with a chorus. IMHO this really is two choruses too much for the song, but there's always the "repeat chorus" solution at the end to use there if the subject you will come up with is milked enough by then.

A few words about the band/artist: Secret Service/Ola Håkansson. They could be considered the missing link between ABBA and Roxette. Between ABBA in the mid 70s and Roxette in the late 80s no Swedish band made it big in the USA - but Secret Service hade multiple hits in Scandinavia, Germany, France, Japan and even Russia while the Iron Curtain still existed so if anyone could have they/he would have been the obvious candidate. Ola who has/had a degree in international business was as it seems content with that "local" level of success and more interrested in going into production of other artists than taking his own band even further.

Written By: K1chyd on 01/18/18 at 1:08 pm

I think I'm going to do "Poppycock Post, Man" about a friend who finds fake news articles online and posts them on Facebook as fact.

This has got to be the fastest I've learned a new word in any round so far. It sounds kinda dirty too, slightly disappointed by the dictionary's definition. Cool idea though, and the pacing seems to be perfect over "Ten O'Clock".

Written By: Matthias on 01/18/18 at 1:14 pm

This has got to be the fastest I've learned a new word in any round so far. It sounds kinda dirty too, slightly disappointed by the dictionary's definition. Cool idea though, and the pacing seems to be perfect over "Ten O'Clock".

Still might do "Poppycock Post, Man"... Deleted the post because I wasn't sure how to work with this one... Need to come up with some ridiculous headlines for this to work...

Written By: K1chyd on 01/18/18 at 1:44 pm

Still might do "Poppycock Post, Man"... Deleted the post because I wasn't sure how to work with this one... Need to come up with some ridiculous headlines for this to work...

Poppycock Bossman? (I'm sure we've all had one or two)

Pointyhaired Bossman? (Dilbert tribute)

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/18/18 at 2:43 pm

the last time i have ever heard the word "poppycock" actually used in the past 47 years was in the Walt Disney animated feature of "Robin Hood" made in 1970.  :D

Written By: K1chyd on 01/18/18 at 11:40 pm

the last time i have ever heard the word "poppycock" actually used in the past 47 years was in the Walt Disney animated feature of "Robin Hood" made in 1970.  :D

So "Poppycock Taxman" then? ;)

Or "Poppycock Trumptrain" on a broader tangent for Matthias' original idea perhaps, with "trumptrain" a kinda loose fit for "postman" but still workable.

I'm staying with Postman BTW, gonna give you a horror story called "Dog ate the Postman".

And on an instant karma note my run yesterday evening almost resulted in the headlines "Dogs ate the Jogger".  >:(

Written By: Matthias on 01/20/18 at 11:02 am

"Poppycock Post, Man!" has been written and is ready for Friday!

https://cdn0.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/p2dMr78J-TYjXTIQfhEd8zv4fpY=/0x1:1200x629/fit-in/1200x630/cdn0.vox-cdn.com/uploads/chorus_asset/file/7651091/fakenews.png

- The ending of the song even has a twist on it (That only the One Week Notice parodists will fully understand)

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/24/18 at 7:59 am

Gang, a family commitment tomorrow will prevent me accessing the 'net and submitting the next OWN (which I haven't even got started). I hope to get some weekend time to catch up on my writing for future submissions. Peace.

Written By: K1chyd on 01/24/18 at 12:57 pm

Gang, a family commitment tomorrow will prevent me accessing the 'net and submitting the next OWN (which I haven't even got started). I hope to get some weekend time to catch up on my writing for future submissions. Peace.

Too bad man. And we haven't heard from Claude yet despite the original song.

I have a real easy and short one lined up for next round though.

Written By: Matthias on 01/25/18 at 5:56 am

Too bad man. And we haven't heard from Claude yet despite the original song.

I have a real easy and short one lined up for next round though.

I suppose that Claude Prez gets offended easily because he wrote me and told me that he doesn’t see the point in participating as long as long as the trolls are able to harass us. I for one am going to continue because just like Conqueror of Parodies who takes on difficult songs every day without usually ever receiving a single comment I do this work for ME: To hone MY skills and build MY writer’s portfolio. It’s a shame that we lost Claude Prez (one of the funniest writers on the site IMO) to something as foolish as negative comments (it’s a good thing he doesn’t have a YouTube channel) but it is what it is...

Written By: Matthias on 01/25/18 at 10:41 am

"Poppycock Post, Man!" is sent in and ready for tomorrow!

Check for new replies or respond here...