inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Malibu" (By Hole, 1998) - For February 16, 2018

Written By: K1chyd on 02/08/18 at 11:36 am

Preface:

As you might already have noticed TOS (The Original Song) I've picked for this week has the exact same title as the one Matthias picked last week. That's not a mistake, I figured we could have some fun with the concept, and this song too is legit in it's OWN (pun totally intended) right! :)

Also, when I first saw that thread last week and clicked on it THIS ONE by Kurt Cobain's girlfriend was the one I expected to find. It was a minor hit in Sweden and a videod single for the band so probably did well in the states too, although never parodied on Amiright before. So that said; remember those title switch ideas you had last week but didn't go through with - here's your second chance! Or maybe you can do a second parody with the same name but somehow different just to play the twist back on me!

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Malibu" (By Hole, 1998) - For February 16, 2018

Written By: K1chyd on 02/08/18 at 11:36 am

Welcome to the Friday 9 February to Friday 16 February (publishing date) round of the One Week Notice challenge. My name is Peter, I'll be your host.

The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

With all that said, here's the brand new One Week Notice for Friday 9 February to Friday 16 February (publishing date).

Song Title: "Malibu" - 1998
Artist - Hole
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0CYB5V9e64

Crash and burn
All the stars explode tonight
How'd you get so desperate?
How'd you stay alive?

Help me, please
Burn the sorrow from your eyes
Oh, come on be alive again
Don't lay down and die!

Hey, hey
You know what to do
Oh, baby, drive away from Malibu

Get well soon
Please don't go any higher
How are you so burnt when
You're barely on fire?

Cry to the angels
I'm gonna rescue you
I'm gonna set you free tonight, baby
Pour over me

Hey, hey
We're all watching you
Oh, baby, fly away to Malibu
Cry to the angels
And let them swallow you
Go and part the sea, yeah, in Malibu

And the sun goes down
I watch you slip away
And the sun goes down
I walk into the waves
And the sun goes down
I watch you slip away
And I would

And I knew
Love would tear you apart
Oh, and I knew
The darkest secret of your heart

Hey, hey
I'm gonna follow you
Oh baby, fly away, yeah, to Malibu
Oceans of angels
Oceans of stars
Down by the sea is where you
Drown your scars

I can't be near you
The light just radiates
I can't be near you
The light just radiates

Written By: K1chyd on 02/08/18 at 11:43 am

The structuring of the original lyrics above, the linebreaks, I personally don't agree with 'em 100%, though the words all seem to be okey. Just pointing this out early. That kind of song. I'll probably place some of my linebreaks different. If you're new at this that's always an option.

Written By: K1chyd on 02/09/18 at 1:50 am

http://whns.images.worldnow.com/images/24746643_BG1.jpg

One more thing: For the brain storm phase (and those who don't wanna show up in 'the same dress" as COP phrased it) I'll just let out that I'm working on "Car is through":

Written By: Matthias on 02/09/18 at 4:58 am

http://whns.images.worldnow.com/images/24746643_BG1.jpg

One more thing: For the brain storm phase (and those who don't wanna show up in 'the same dress" as COP phrased it) I'll just let out that I'm working on "Car is through":

Bonus points if that car is a Chevy Malibu

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/09/18 at 10:52 am

The real challenge will be to use the same title as your previous 'Malibu' parody. I am just crazy enough to see if I can pull it off. :D

Written By: Matthias on 02/14/18 at 4:31 pm

Happy Valentine's Day.... "Balls Are Blue" is coming on Friday!

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/qDL7AS5IaM4/maxresdefault.jpg

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/15/18 at 8:16 am

Well, I've submitted, but you can tell my heart wasn't in it.

Written By: Matthias on 02/15/18 at 8:31 am

Was it "Doggydoo II"?

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/15/18 at 11:08 am

Was it "Doggydoo II"?

You'll see. :-X

Written By: K1chyd on 02/15/18 at 11:20 am

Hmm... an anti-Valentines story then perhaps? ???

Written By: agrimorfee on 02/16/18 at 11:42 am

Gang, I'm gonna devote my weekend to listening/reading today's Malibus before voting & commenting. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...