inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Superhero Jagganath" (Due 3/16/18)

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/08/18 at 8:17 am

Welcome to the Friday March 09 to Friday March 016 (publishing date) round of the One Week Notice challenge. My name is Agrimorfee, I'll be your host.

The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself! http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0)

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

This week's song should be especially appealing to our own Peter Andersson, with a representation from his country of Sweden-- the amazingly unusual metal band Diablo Swing Orchestra! This is off of their 4th and most recent album Pacifisticuffs.

"Superhero Jagganath"--Diablo Swing Orchestra
Released 2017
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=72h7jgu-cGQ

Hide away from me
From who I am, infinity
Time to blossom rage
If people want to cage me like an animal
Tonight I’m gonna show you my supremacy

Now, I am unsatiable
I’m unerasable
I’m Jagganath

Now, I'm indestructible
Endlessly beautiful
State of the art

Gotta hunt, gotta find
Feed the fire in my mind
Fuel for my prosperity
Gonna cut, gonna slash
Gonna burn you into ash
For my prepotency

Jagganath

Now, I'm unerasable
I'm indestructible
I'm Jagganath

Now, I am unstoppable
Endlessly beautiful
King of the world
Your connoisseur
What you deserve
And I am

Superhero Jagganath

Oh Jagganath

Prowling to succeed
The herd stampedes hysterically
Violent masquerade
I'm brutal and appalling to your common eyes
Tonight I'm gonna show you my sublimity

I'm gonna pry, inside your mind
And I'm about to try a little thing
Called hypnotize
Nowhere to run, nowhere to hide
And in the end I will deliver your demise

Now, I'm unerasable
I'm indestructible
I'm Jagganath

Now, I'm unerasable
I'm indestructible
I'm Jagganath

Superhero Jagganath

Superhero Jagganath
Superhero Jagganath
Superduperhero Jagganath

Now, I'm unerasable
I'm indestructible
I'm Jagganath

Lights out for the wonderful
Endlessly beautiful
State of the art

Superhero Jagganath

GOOD LUCK PARTICIPANTS! :D
(just WTF is a jagganath? per wiki: Jagannath (Odia: ଜଗନ୍ନାଥ, IAST: Jagannātha, or Jagannatha) literally means "Lord of the Universe" and is a deity worshipped in regional traditions of Hinduism and Buddhism in India and Bangladesh. Jagannath is considered a form of Vishnu. He is a part of a triad along with his brother Balabhadra and sister Subhadra.)

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Superhero Jagganath" (Due 3/16/18)

Written By: K1chyd on 03/08/18 at 11:31 am

Vaguely familiar with this odd progressive metal band that to me sounds kinda like Faith No More hesitantly produced by ABBA but with a sore throated East European call girl who dreams of being in Nightwish on the mic (Now there's a niche with not much competition for sure, he-he!).

Interrestingly enough I have an odd song lined up for further down the road with the word "superhero" in the title, thinking it could appeal to both you and Matthias, the latter because of his ongoing movie parodies project.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/08/18 at 1:34 pm

Have posted to Song Parody Writers on fb.

Written By: K1chyd on 03/10/18 at 9:57 am

"Super Sexy Laura Croft"

And if that doesn't work out you can always change to "Superman and Gen'ral Zod" and still be within your movie expertise area. Also the "destroyer of worlds" theme in the original suits that too.

Personally I'm thinking "Superweirdo something something"...

Written By: Matthias on 03/11/18 at 8:41 am

My parody is written... Going to polish it up for Friday

"What the Hell's a Jiggawatt"
https://ih1.redbubble.net/image.120577967.1290/flat,800x800,075,f.jpg

Written By: K1chyd on 03/11/18 at 10:33 am

My parody is written... Going to polish it up for Friday
"What the Hell's a Jiggawatt"

8)

Additional: Hmm... maybe I should do "Superhero Jiggywithit" - about a made up black superhero who fights crime in the hood using rap, while still looking coooool enough for Bel Air.

Written By: K1chyd on 03/13/18 at 10:36 am

That lyrical thing called growling can be hard to hear. Having listened to the song many times now I've concluded that starting at 2:15 the title line is growlingly repeated (fast, almost on top of itself) eight times rather than one. Knowing that Agrimorfee himself (and others) like to use stuff like that for comedic effect when possible (and I plan to try too) I want to point that out to all participants. :-)

Here's how I hear it (though barely). Do with this information what you like:

"...And I am

Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath

Oh Jagganath..."

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/14/18 at 10:59 am

That lyrical thing called growling can be hard to hear. Having listened to the song many times now I've concluded that starting at 2:15 the title line is growlingly repeated (fast, almost on top of itself) eight times rather than one. Knowing that Agrimorfee himself (and others) like to use stuff like that for comedic effect when possible (and I plan to try too) I want to point that out to all participants. :-)

Here's how I hear it (though barely). Do with this information what you like:

"...And I am

Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath Superhero Jagganath

Oh Jagganath..."

That's weird, the source I cut/pasted lyrics from took the time to numerate the chanting as 8x.

As additional help in this chorus stanza later, about 3/4ths near the end reads here as
Superhero Jagganath
Superhero Jagganath
Superduperhero Jagganath

but comes out like this:
Superhero Jagganath (4x)

Superhero Jagganath (2x)
Superduperhero Jagganath

Written By: K1chyd on 03/14/18 at 11:19 am

That's weird, the source I cut/pasted lyrics from took the time to numerate the chanting as 8x.

As additional help in this chorus stanza later, about 3/4ths near the end reads here as
Superhero Jagganath
Superhero Jagganath
Superduperhero Jagganath

but comes out like this:
Superhero Jagganath (4x)

Superhero Jagganath (2x)
Superduperhero Jagganath

Damn, now I'm gonna have to come up with something for that too, instead of the "repeat chorus" cop out I was planning.  :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/14/18 at 12:21 pm

Damn, now I'm gonna have to come up with something for that too, instead of the "repeat chorus" cop out I was planning.  :)

Dude, don't sweat it...mine is already completed, I haven't gone the "crazy rhymelist" route on this one.

Written By: K1chyd on 03/14/18 at 12:50 pm

Dude, don't sweat it...mine is already completed, I haven't gone the "crazy rhymelist" route on this one.

'Tis okey, I'm basically done too, only the see-how-much-more-I-can vary the chorus part left.

Written By: K1chyd on 03/15/18 at 12:31 am

You know the term Runner's High? I kinda had an hour of Writer's High finishing this! Rhyming over those eight extra lines opened up some comedy opportunities that could also be expanded upon elsewhere. Unfortunatelly I'm even deeper into NSFW territory now - but if "Super weird ej*c*late" doesn't pass the daily moderating call I'll fasttrack it for my homepage and post the link here or something.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/15/18 at 9:05 am

"Super weird ej*c*late" ...

:o :o :o :o

Written By: K1chyd on 03/15/18 at 12:23 pm

Well, the original idea was "Superweird's this chocolate" - but all those Google ads for Lonely Baltic Ladies and Hot Singles In My Area with profile pictures taking during laundry day might have influenced my writing. There's been more spam here than usual lately.

Written By: agrimorfee on 03/15/18 at 12:26 pm

Well, the original idea was "Superweird's this chocolate" - but all those Google ads for Lonely Baltic Ladies and Hot Singles In My Area with profile pictures taking during laundry day might have influenced my writing.

Hence your latest OWN selection.  ::) ;D ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...