inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "Deep Six Textbook" (due April 20)

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/12/18 at 8:18 am

Welcome to the Friday April 13 to Friday April 20th (publishing date) round of the One Week Notice challenge. My name is Agrimorfee, I'll be your host.

The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

With all that said, here's the brand new One Week Notice challenge--

Song Title: "Deep Six Textbook"
Artist: Let's Eat Grandma
Year: 2017
This will be a challenger. Minimalist instrumentation, dual vocals, sparse lyrics from weirdest duo in the United Kingdom's pop music history, I think. Good luck!

Live performance video that's slightly easier to hear than the official video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEyDZiPfbKU
The official (and creepy) video, for curiousity seekers or those who religiously stand by original recordings:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hZ3tmmkr3sg

Let's Eat Grandma, in full colour
I was so inspired by the glass in the street, and the barbed wire
And the stars in the night, and the cat's eyes

We live our lives in the textbook, and letter by letter
I feel like standing on the desk, and screaming "I don't care"
Oh, and I was such a quiet child, oh I, was I?

I bet the starfish wonder
Why we're so obsessed
Why we feel so stressed (boring)
I wish you all the best
You're making me upset (enduring things)

We're heading straight to the east coast
It's just gone bitter
The ocean doesn't care, the waves will curl our hair
In summertime, when days collide
Say, "Why didn't we? Why didn't we?"
Go

Why why why?

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "Deep Six Textbook" (due April 20)

Written By: Matthias on 04/12/18 at 8:45 am

Not my cup of tea but I'll parody it anyways... This is such a slow and boring song. Not your typical kind of weird.

Might turn this into "Let's Pop Valium" not parodying the title itself but it's opening line...

Or "Ditched Prince Valium" about Princess Vespa from Spaceballs complaining on why her husband-to-be is a complete loser.

https://s3media.247sports.com/Uploads/Assets/739/174/6_8174739.jpeg

My tribute to "Spaceballs" and Prince Valium is pretty much finished. Putting the finishing touches on it now.

Fairly easy song because it's so short... It's still a super boring song though lol

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/12/18 at 8:53 am

Not my cup of tea but I'll parody it anyways... This is such a slow and boring song. Not your typical kind of weird.

sorry.  :-\\

Written By: Matthias on 04/12/18 at 11:30 am

Listening to the lyrics and they don't say "I was so inspired by the grass, and the street" they just say "I was so inspired by the street and the barbed wire"

Not sure "by the grass" came from unless it's a different version of the song...

Written By: K1chyd on 04/12/18 at 11:52 am

Why do I get the impression that you're trying to bait us to replace "textbook" with "Facebook"...  ::)

OK then, I'll start aiming for "Deep State Facebook" - but no promises - as often I might end up with something completely different.  :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/12/18 at 12:14 pm

Listening to the lyrics and they don't say "I was so inspired by the grass, and the street" they just say "I was so inspired by the street and the barbed wire"

Not sure "by the grass" came from unless it's a different version of the song...

Are you looking only at the live version? It doesn't help that they get mushmouthed at that point in the song (I haven't paid huge attention to the lyrics before). Maybe we should only rely on one version. It would be ok by me. Shoot, this is going to be our most controversial OWN, eh?  ;D

Written By: Matthias on 04/12/18 at 12:30 pm

Are you looking only at the live version? It doesn't help that they get mushmouthed at that point in the song (I haven't paid huge attention to the lyrics before). Maybe we should only rely on one version. It would be ok by me. Shoot, this is going to be our most controversial OWN, eh?  ;D

I listened to both and I don’t hear anything about grass

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/12/18 at 1:25 pm

I listened to both and I don’t hear anything about grass

https://lyrics.az/lets-eat-grandma/i-gemini/deep-six-textbook.html
agrees with your read on that pesky line--and it makes sense.

"I was so inspired by the glass in the street, and the barbed wire"

I'm pasting it into the lyrics in the OP. Thanks for addressing that, because I can't listen at work. 8)

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/13/18 at 1:27 pm

Not my cup of tea but I'll parody it anyways... This is such a slow and boring song. ..

I have just the cure for that, the ukelele version is upbeat and short.  ;D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_qYvFrugdY

Check for new replies or respond here...