inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "Sell Out" (Due Date: 4/27/2018)

Written By: Matthias on 04/19/18 at 8:56 am

Welcome to the Friday April 20 to Friday April 27th (publishing date) round of the One Week Notice challenge. My name is Matthias, I'll be your host.

The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

With all that said, here's the brand new One Week Notice challenge--

This is a song by one of my favorite bands of all time. I love ska music and I've seen these guys in concert around 3 or 4 times. I've even met the lead singer before. Plus we need something fast paced to make up for that slooooooooooooooooooooooooooooow song that Agrimorfee picked for the last round.

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/184217_10101084955677130_127013212_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=1829f472fde63ab5b61fb799103830a6&oe=5B5BECE8

Artist: Reel Big Fish
Song Title: "Sell Out"
Year: 1996
Youtube Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QL3Rj9IT4Mc

well, I know you can't work in fast food all your life
but don't sign that paper tonight, she said,
but it's too late.

And I don't remember what I read,
don't remember what they said,
I guess it doesn't matter,
I guess it doesn't matter anymore.

you're gonna go to the record store
you're gonna give 'em all your money
radio plays what they want you to hear
they tell me it's cool but I just don't believe it...

sell out, with me oh yea, sell out, with me tonight
record company's gonna give me lots of money
and everything's gonna be (all right).

no more flippin' burgers puttin' on my silly hat
you know I don't want that no more,
And I didn't ask when we'd get paid, I quit my day job anyway,
I guess it doesn't matter, I guess it doesn't matter anymore

You're gonna go to the record store,
you're gonna give 'em all your money,
radio plays what they want you to hear,
they tell me it's cool, I just don't believe it

sell out, with me oh yea, sell out
with me tonight, the records company's only give me
lots of money and everything's gonna be.

I don't think it'll be so bad
I know it won't be so bad
cause the man said "that's the way it is"
and the man said "it don't get better than this" no no no noo

so I signed on to the record company,
they say they're gonna give me lot's of money,
if I play what they want you to hear
they tell me it's cool, and I sure believe it...

sell out, with me oh yea, sell out, with me tonight
the record companies gonna give me lots of money and
everything's gonna be (all right).

Yeeeeeeeeeah... Yeah! Yeah!
Yeah! Yeah!

The record company's gonna make everything all right

Baby, Don't you sign that paper tonight she said
But I can't work in fast food all my life

DUE= April 27th

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "Sell Out" (Due Date: 4/27/2018)

Written By: Matthias on 04/19/18 at 12:17 pm

Working on this one while we're slow at work today... I pretty much have this one done

"Boy Scout" a Camp Granada style parody about a boy who hates being in the Boy Scouts...

https://fm.cnbc.com/applications/cnbc.com/resources/img/editorial/2017/10/11/104766426-GettyImages-86062058-boy-scouts.600x400.jpg?v=1507742464

Written By: K1chyd on 04/19/18 at 12:46 pm

A title sub for starters should be easy enough - thinking I'll tap right into the "don't do it" vibe, possibly as the reversal "sign up", but more likely for a warning about something completely different. Agri's obviously gonna do "Look Out (for dog poo)" so I can't step into that!  ;)

Written By: K1chyd on 04/22/18 at 4:16 am

I don't think it'll be so bad
I know it won't be so bad

Minor suggestion here; I think I can hear an And (or at least an An') at the start of both those lines. They come at around 02:20.

And I don't think it'll be so bad
And I know it won't be so bad

I'm gonna use those "And"s now so I figured I better point it out too.

Written By: Matthias on 04/22/18 at 6:20 am

Minor suggestion here; I think I can hear an And (or at least an An') at the start of both those lines. They come at around 02:20.

And I don't think it'll be so bad
And I know it won't be so bad

I'm gonna use those "And"s now so I figured I better point it out too.

You’re right. The man (Peter Andersson) said that’s the way it is. And the man said it should be laid out like this. Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!

Written By: Matthias on 04/26/18 at 7:54 am

My "Boy Scout" parody has been submitted...

I really hope that Agrimorfee is able to make it this time BECAUSE I picked this song to screw with him since I know that he's not a fan of this band and he made me parody that BORING Let's Eat Grandma song last time.

Written By: K1chyd on 04/26/18 at 8:39 am

Submitted!

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/26/18 at 11:28 am

My "Boy Scout" parody has been submitted...

I really hope that Agrimorfee is able to make it this time BECAUSE I picked this song to screw with him since I know that he's not a fan of this band and he made me parody that BORING Let's Eat Grandma song last time.

::) :D 8-P 8-P 8-P :P  :-X ;D ::) :o :-*

Check for new replies or respond here...