inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" (Due 5/4/2018)

Written By: Matthias on 04/26/18 at 9:33 am

Welcome to the Friday April 27th to Friday May 4th (publishing date) round of the One Week Notice challenge. My name is Matthias, I'll be your host.

The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

With all that said, here's the brand new One Week Notice challenge--

Another one of my favorite bands that I actually discovered after Weird Al did a style parody of Cake with his song "Close But No Cigar". Cake is an American alternative rock band from Sacramento, California, consisting of singer John McCrea, trumpeter Vince DiFiore, guitarist Xan McCurdy, bassist Daniel McCallum and drummer Todd Roper. The band has been noted for McCrea's sarcastic lyrics and monotone vocals, and their wide-ranging musical influences, including country music, Mariachi, rock, funk, Iranian folk music and hip hop.

As of right now ONLY 2 Amirighters have parodied this song: Luke Brattoni and 2nz. (These guys are really talented so I recommend checking out their parodies as well).

Artist --- Cake
Song Title --- Short Skirt, Long Jacket
Year --- 2001

Youtube Recording: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u7aDstrDMf0

I want a girl with a mind like a diamond
I want a girl who knows what's best
I want a girl with shoes that cut
And eyes that burn like cigarettes

I want a girl with the right allocations
Who's fast and thorough
And sharp as a tack
She's playing with her jewelry
She's putting up her hair
She's touring the facility
And picking up slack

I want a girl with a short skirt and a lonnnng jacket......

I want a girl who gets up early
I want a girl who stays up late
I want a girl with uninterrupted prosperity
Who uses a machete to cut through red tape
With fingernails that shine like justice
And a voice that is dark like tinted glass

She is fast and thorough
And sharp as a tack
She's touring the facility
And picking up slack

I want a girl with a short skirt and a lonnnnng.... lonnng jacket

I want a girl with a smooth liquidation
I want a girl with good dividends
At Citibank we will meet accidentally
We'll start to talk when she borrows my pen

She wants a car with a cupholder arm rest
She wants a car that will get her there
She's changing her name from Kitty to Karen
She's trading her MG for a white Chrysler LeBaron

I want a girl with a short skirt and a lonnnnggggggggg jacket

DUE = 5/4/2018

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "Short Skirt, Long Jacket" (Due 5/4/2018)

Written By: Matthias on 04/26/18 at 10:47 am

Ideas...

1. "I want a girl with some sharp fangs and a dark casket" - (Vampire's love song)
2. "I want a girl in a fur suit like a park mascot" - (Furry's love song)
3. "I want a girl with some long ears to munch my carrot" - (Bugs Bunny's love song)
4. "I want a girl who is high-tech with advanced gadgets" - (Robot's love song)
5. "I want a girl I can paint nude on the Titanic" - (Jack's love song)
6. "I want a girl who lost her mind in a straitjacket" - (Psycho's love song)
7. "I want a girl in a spaceship from a strange planet" - (Alien's love song)

Written By: agrimorfee on 04/26/18 at 11:30 am

Might avoid the girl aspect altogether...it's going to be hard not to make a list song out of this.

Written By: Matthias on 04/26/18 at 2:42 pm

Might avoid the girl aspect altogether...it's going to be hard not to make a list song out of this.

Something different, eh? How about...

"Don't be that jerk who shows his junk in a large jacket"

Written By: K1chyd on 04/26/18 at 11:20 pm

It's going to be hard not to make a list song out of this.

That gives me a fighting chance to make it time since those are kinda my specialty, but I need to come up with a working idea fast.

And it really is a great original song! :-)

Written By: K1chyd on 04/26/18 at 11:25 pm

Something different, eh? How about...

"Don't be that jerk who shows his junk in a large jacket"

Maybe "Don't be that jerk who shows a sock in his tights' pocket"

Written By: K1chyd on 04/26/18 at 11:33 pm

I hope Claude Prez joins this round - the so-so rhymes of the original are many enough for him to really stamp down and outdo the original lyricist methinks.

Written By: Matthias on 04/27/18 at 10:02 am

I hope Claude Prez joins this round - the so-so rhymes of the original are many enough for him to really stamp down and outdo the original lyricist methinks.

And I know that he loves the band Cake. I think this is a perfect Claude Prez tune because he could turn this topic ridiculous in a heartbeat

Written By: K1chyd on 04/28/18 at 12:36 pm

Thank you Matthias for giving this round an easy list parody option - I'm 95% done with "I'm going postal" so it's almost a certainty that I'll make it.

(Yeah, that working title don't pace the original's, but I don't think "Wet oyster, long Knockwurst" would pass the censors).

Written By: Matthias on 04/28/18 at 1:37 pm

Thank you Matthias for giving this round an easy list parody option - I'm 95% done with "I'm going postal" so it's almost a certainty that I'll make it.

(Yeah, that working title don't pace the original's, but I don't think "Wet oyster, long Knockwurst" would pass the censors).

If you got ejaculate past the censors I think you can get anything past them!

Written By: Wobo on 04/28/18 at 1:58 pm

The day before my birthday lol.

Written By: K1chyd on 04/28/18 at 11:03 pm

If you got ejaculate past the censors I think you can get anything past them!

I still feel like I pushed my luck with that one! ;D

Written By: Matthias on 04/30/18 at 11:34 am

To go along with my demonic hellbeasts from Episode 1 of One Week Notice here comes another sexy monster chick to sink your teeth into...

https://wallpapersite.com/images/wallpapers/vampire-2880x1620-girl-hot-hd-3892.jpg

"Blood Squirt, Dark Casket" will be up on Friday!

Written By: K1chyd on 05/03/18 at 6:00 am

I'll be using the word casket too, and a similar line, in one of the three choruses - but I wrote it before I saw this, OK?

Written By: K1chyd on 05/03/18 at 6:49 am

The submission window is now open!

(And as things have worked out I have the day off, so you'll get the next One Week Notice challenge a few hours earlier than usual from me - in just a few moments actually).

Check for new replies or respond here...