inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Gimme Sympathy" (Due May 11)

Written By: K1chyd on 05/03/18 at 6:56 am

ONE WEEK NOTICE!

On Friday May 11th 2018 there will be a parody from me on the front page of Amiright.

It will be based on:
Song Title - "Gimme Sympathy" (2009)
Artist - Metric
YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jq3-wZs64n4&list=RDjq3-wZs64n4

As this week's One Week Notice host I'm now inviting you (Yes, that means YOU!) to write one too, then post it for the same day. The original song's lyrics follows below, i.e below the mandatory boring fine print about these One Week Notices, and you can easily skip past this part if you're not into that kind of thing and just wanna get on with it. (It's just some standard agreements really; like first born son, immortal soul, STD history, Tinder profile, favorite fetishisms, monthly cycle status (if you're a woman) and current cell phone location - NOTHING you haven't already given away a thousand times on Social Media).

THE FINE PRINT: The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

Get hot
Get too close to the flame
Wild, open space
Talk like an open book
Sign me up
Got no time to take a picture
I'll remember someday
All the chances we took

We're so close
To something better left unknown
We're so close
I can feel it in my bones

Gimme sympathy
After all of this is gone
Who would you rather be
The Beatles or The Rolling Stones
Oh, seriously
You're gonna make mistakes, you're young
Come on, baby, play me something
Like "Here Comes the Sun"

Don't go
Stay with the all-unknown
Stay away from the hooks
All the chances we took

We're so close
We're so close
I can feel it in my bones

Gimme sympathy
Who would you rather be
Oh, seriously

Gimme sympathy
Who would you rather be
Oh, seriously

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE "Gimme Sympathy" (Due May 11)

Written By: K1chyd on 05/03/18 at 7:03 am

Plenty of good songs on this Indie band's album from 2009 (one of the few Indie albums I've ever bought without regret) but I've chosen this one because there are plenty of three syllable near rhymes for "sympathy" (and five syllable rhymes for the whole title):

https://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=sympathy&typeofrhyme=nry&org1=syl&org2=l&org3=y

Written By: Matthias on 05/03/18 at 9:00 am

Plenty of good songs on this Indie band's album from 2009 (one of the few Indie albums I've ever bought without regret) but I've chosen this one because there are plenty of three syllable near rhymes for "sympathy" (and five syllable rhymes for the whole title):

https://www.rhymezone.com/r/rhyme.cgi?Word=sympathy&typeofrhyme=nry&org1=syl&org2=l&org3=y

https://i1.wp.com/www.metalinjection.net/wp-content/uploads/2016/02/ilikewhatyougot.jpg?fit=700%2C394

Written By: K1chyd on 05/03/18 at 11:38 am

Hey Matthias and Agrimorfee!

I don't know how much I'll be able to get online over the weekend (probably very little) so as the host of this round I might still need the two of you to help answer any questions if the new "OWN intro" here above brings in new people asking something. Yeah, I realise now that I should better have saved that for my next hosting.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/03/18 at 2:36 pm

Hey Matthias and Agrimorfee!

I don't know how much I'll be able to get online over the weekend (probably very little) so as the host of this round I might still need the two of you to help answer any questions if the new "OWN intro" here above brings in new people asking something. Yeah, I realise now that I should better have saved that for my next hosting.

I think it was a great idea to shrink the particulars down. People who haven't been here before will be drawn to it ("wow, that's a weird font!"), yet it becomes less stuff to scroll past as a returning participant.

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/03/18 at 2:38 pm

there are plenty of three syllable near rhymes for "sympathy" (and five syllable rhymes for the whole title):

pithy, smithy, prithee, antipathy, to thee... ;)

Written By: Matthias on 05/03/18 at 4:44 pm

I'm gonna do a tribute to "Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory" changing the title to "Fizzy Lifting Drinks"

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/19/67/34/1967342ca912a89b7573bb60b3a695aa.jpg

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/03/18 at 6:32 pm

Was kinda tempted to do "One More Timothy" from an apparent running gag from Dinosaurs, but in the interest of more substantial subject matter I'll be crafting "Freaked, So Rickety" about creepy creaking furniture instead.

Written By: Matthias on 05/03/18 at 6:43 pm

Was kinda tempted to do "One More Timothy" from an apparent running gag from Dinosaurs, but in the interest of more substantial subject matter I'll be crafting "Freaked, So Rickety" about creepy creaking furniture instead.

Are you finally joining us in these weekly events or is this one on your list of songs?

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/04/18 at 12:22 am

Are you finally joining us in these weekly events or is this one on your list of songs?

On the list. Sorry if I'm reading your tone wrong in advance, BTW, but would you prefer it if I didn't only join in when it's convenient for my own completionist habits?

Written By: Matthias on 05/04/18 at 6:34 am

On the list. Sorry if I'm reading your tone wrong in advance, BTW, but would you prefer it if I didn't only join in when it's convenient for my own completionist habits?

Yeah! I would love to see you join us. I enjoy your work dude and a lot of the songs you parody I’m unfamiliar with

Written By: karen on 05/04/18 at 11:28 am

Yeah! I would love to see you join us. I enjoy your work dude and a lot of the songs you parody I’m unfamiliar with

I might have read things wrong but I think conqueror is asking if you want him to join in at all, given he is only going to do so when it suits him.  And your response seems ambiguous on this, to me at least

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/04/18 at 2:52 pm

I might have read things wrong but I think conqueror is asking if you want him to join in at all, given he is only going to do so when it suits him.  And your response seems ambiguous on this, to me at least

TCOP, the gist of OWN is to contribute a parody of the assigned song that you have not submitted ever. Read the "fine print" at the top of the thread that Peter has cut/pasted from our previous weeks. We want LOTS more people to do join in!  :-*

Written By: K1chyd on 05/06/18 at 12:36 pm

On the list.

Whatever the reason you're welcome. :)

Quite the coincidence that we have some kind of like-overlap on this song! :-) Was it a hit on your part of the globe? It's not even the best song on the album (IMHO), but the album seems to have won some Indie Awards so you might know more than me about that.

Anyway, should you ever wanna use another song (a short and easy one) from that list of yours to host a round yourself we'll help you out if needed. Basically you just have to decide a week in advance that next Friday I will post a parody of song xyz, and give One Week Notice about that to everyone else. I'm tempted to call these Reunion Projects you have already participated in "One Month Notice", and OWNs are pretty much like those, only with shorter Notice and a given specific song instead of artist.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 05/06/18 at 10:56 pm

Quite the coincidence that we have some kind of like-overlap on this song! :-) Was it a hit on your part of the globe?

Quick check on Wikipedia reveals that not one of their songs hit the ARIA charts, with Fantasies only reaching 48 on the album charts, so that'd be a no. I only know of it cause it was in two different Isosine mashups.

Anyway, should you ever wanna use another song (a short and easy one) from that list of yours to host a round yourself we'll help you out if needed. Basically you just have to decide a week in advance that next Friday I will post a parody of song xyz, and give One Week Notice about that to everyone else. I'm tempted to call these Reunion Projects you have already participated in "One Month Notice", and OWNs are pretty much like those, only with shorter Notice and a given specific song instead of artist.

I might do it sometime, would be a great way to whittle down the bigger mashups on my list down.

Written By: Matthias on 05/10/18 at 7:54 am

Submitted my tribute to Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory "Fizzy Lifting Drinks"

Written By: K1chyd on 05/10/18 at 9:05 am

Virt' Reality ("Ready Player One" Tribute)

Kind of another list parody, but hey - it's about a rather good movie!
Not as good as the book though.

Written By: Matthias on 05/10/18 at 9:16 am

Virt' Reality ("Ready Player One" Tribute)

Kind of another list parody, but hey - it's about a rather good movie!
Not as good as the book though.

Is this going to be a movie tribute round??? Maybe T-Cop's and Aggy's will be cinema themed as well  ;)

Written By: K1chyd on 05/10/18 at 9:19 am

Is this going to be a movie tribute round??? Maybe T-Cop's and Aggy's will be cinema themed as well  ;)

Well, we're two for two so far... and "infinity" rhymes with "sympathy"... anything can happen...

Check for new replies or respond here...