inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE-"Myxomatosis" (Due May 18)

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/10/18 at 8:22 am

As this week's One Week Notice host I'm now inviting you to write a parody for the following song, then post it the same day (submission date should be 5/17/18 roughly after 9AM your time). The Fine Print below (as formed by k1chyd, Matthias and myself) should tell you all you need to know about these One Week Notices. Good luck and happy writing!  :)

THE FINE PRINT: The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

Radiohead
"Myxomatosis"
Live video with full lyrics https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpk835d1K7U

Truncated studio version: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uh0Il96wxbc

The mongrel cat came home
Holding half a head
Proceeded to show it off
To all his new found friends
He said,
I been where I liked
I slept with who I liked
She ate me up for breakfast
She screwed me in a vice
But now
I don't know why I feel so tongue tied
I sat in the cupboard
And wrote it down in neat
They were cheering and waving
Cheering and waving
Twitching and salivating
Like with myxomatosis
But it got edited, fudgeed up
Strangled, beaten up
Used as a photo in Time magazine
Buried in a burning black hole in Devon
I don't know why I feel so tongue tied
Don't know why I feel so skinned alive
My thoughts are misguided and a little naive
I twitch and salivate
Like with myxomatosis
You should put me in a home or you
Should put me down
I got myxomatosis
I got myxomatosis
Yeah no one likes a smart arse
But we all like stars
That wasn't my intention
I did it for a reason
It must have got mixed up
Strangled beaten up
I got myxomatosis
I got myxomatosis
I don't know why I
Feel so tongue tied

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE-"Myxomatosis" (Due May 18)

Written By: K1chyd on 05/10/18 at 8:34 am

Based only on the title so far I'll start working on "I've halitosis"...

PS. Does my posts here look strange to y'all? It's like I get Agrimorfees message links on each and every one after I post look back. Can't see nothing wrong as I write (or previw) though.

Additional: Looking back at last weeks thread it's not just Agri, it's the subheader of whomever posted the last post before me - it overlaps my post on my own screen, very strange.

Written By: Matthias on 05/10/18 at 8:55 am

Might do "Photosynthesis" about a guy who wakes up as a houseplant

https://hgtvhome.sndimg.com/content/dam/images/grdn/fullset/2014/6/25/0/CI_11-f7ff0e380000.jpg.rend.hgtvcom.966.966.suffix/1452664589098.jpeg

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/10/18 at 10:18 am

Additional: Looking back at last weeks thread it's not just Agri, it's the subheader of whomever posted the last post before me - it overlaps my post on my own screen, very strange.

I can't see what is happening in your gif (i think it's my work office configuration), and I don't see anything odd in your normal posts.

Written By: Matthias on 05/10/18 at 12:43 pm

The link to this song seems to be wrong because towards the end of the song it disappears into strange wordless music... Normal for Radiohead? I dunno...

Written By: Matthias on 05/10/18 at 12:50 pm

Here's a live version that works better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpk835d1K7U

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/10/18 at 4:04 pm

Here's a live version that works better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpk835d1K7U

Aw crap...I dind't have time to check it, I thought the YT time given was right. RH didn't make any official video for that track. :-[ . I will use the link you gave as the "official" one on the top post.

Written By: K1chyd on 05/11/18 at 12:01 pm

The big question here is: What have these guys (in a rather well-known household name band) been smoking to write a song like this?

Written By: Matthias on 05/11/18 at 12:04 pm

The big question here is: What have these guys (in a rather well-known household name band) been smoking to write a song like this?

And what does the word “Myxomatosis” mean?

Written By: K1chyd on 05/11/18 at 11:10 pm

I've actually heard that word in my profession as a medical transcriptionist once or twice (a lot of old latin medical terms are the same in Swedish if you take away the suffix "is" at the end, and others still are exactly the same). I do have to admit though that at first I remembered it as one of those stinky fungal infections that people bring up as a secondary problem when at the ER and the acute emergency has been taken care of, possibly even a particularly female vagitch one. But turns out it just "rabbit fever".

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/14/18 at 10:47 am

I've actually heard that word in my profession as a medical transcriptionist once or twice (a lot of old latin medical terms are the same in Swedish if you take away the suffix "is" at the end, and others still are exactly the same). I do have to admit though that at first I remembered it as one of those stinky fungal infections that people bring up as a secondary problem when at the ER and the acute emergency has been taken care of, possibly even a particularly female vagitch one. But turns out it just "rabbit fever".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myxomatosis

Written By: K1chyd on 05/17/18 at 8:23 am

"Bad Halitosis" has been submitted.

Written By: karen on 05/17/18 at 10:56 am

alternative meaning

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/17/18 at 2:48 pm

alternative meaning

Oi vey! ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/18 at 2:11 am

A short poem by British-Irish comedian and poet Spike Milligan:

"Rabbits they say
Are very scarce to-day
My diagnosis?
Myxamatowsis."

Check for new replies or respond here...