inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes" (5-25-18)

Written By: Matthias on 05/17/18 at 8:53 am

Welcome to the Friday April 20 to Friday April 27th (publishing date) round of the One Week Notice challenge. My name is Matthias, I'll be your host.

The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

With all that said, here's the brand new One Week Notice challenge-- Summer is right around the corner. I just took my summer vacation down to Austin, Texas and got a little sun and a nice tan. That being said my mind is still set on summer mode and thus...

https://scontent-lga3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/15873036_10104094684571300_5261129996416424409_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=3a4ea4c682e53e383b1d628e73610809&oe=5B7A4B89

Artist --- Jimmy Buffett
Song Title --- "Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes"
Release Year --- 1977

Link to the original song = https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56nHBah7mdE

I took off for a weekend last month
Just to try and recall the whole year
All of the faces and all of the places
Wonderin' where they all disappeared
I didn't ponder the question too long
I was hungry and went out for a bite
Ran into a chum with a bottle of rum
And we wound up drinkin' all night

It's these changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Nothing remains quite the same
With all of our running and all of our cunning
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

Reading departure signs in some big airport
Reminds me of the places I've been
Visions of good times that brought so much pleasure
Makes me want to go back again
If it suddenly ended tomorrow
I could somehow adjust to the fall
Good times and riches and son of a bitches
I've seen more than I can recall

These changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
Through all of the islands and through all of the highlands
If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane

I think about Paris when I'm high on red wine
I wish I could jump on a plane
So many nights I just dream of the ocean
God, I wish I was sailin' again
Oh, yesterday's over my shoulder
So I can't look back for too long
There's just too much to see waiting in front of me
And I know that I just can't go wrong

With these changes in latitudes, changes in attitudes
With all of my running and all of my cunning
If I couldn't laugh I just would go insane
If we couldn't laugh we just would go insane
If we weren't all crazy we would go insane

DUE = May 25th, 2018

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes" (5-25-18)

Written By: agrimorfee on 05/17/18 at 10:29 am

I had real fun writing "Nerf Herder In Leia's Eyes" (Cheeseburger In Paradise). With his breezy choruses with lots of easy rhymes, this should be a breeze like off the coast of Margaritaville.

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE: "Changes In Latitudes, Changes In Attitudes" (5-25-18)

Written By: Matthias on 05/17/18 at 10:53 am

Until September I'm going to be picking songs that have the sweet sounds of summer.

Jimmy Buffett, Beach Boys, etc

Written By: K1chyd on 05/17/18 at 12:41 pm

You OK with this the first hit on YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56nHBah7mdE

Written By: Matthias on 05/17/18 at 12:48 pm

You OK with this the first hit on YouTube?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56nHBah7mdE

Oh yeah! Forgot to link to to the OS.

Sorry about that.

Still on vacation mode lol

Written By: Matthias on 05/17/18 at 2:29 pm

"So Sick of Superfoods, Gimme some Barbecue!"
(About a guy who fell in love with a vegan but is falling out of love with her because of his love of grilled meat)

https://www.foodmatters.com/media/uploads/images/articles/superfood.jpg

Written By: Matthias on 05/17/18 at 5:16 pm

Getting an idea for the title is the toughest part because there aren't a whole lot of rhymes to work with but the song itself is pretty simple.

I pretty much wrapped mine up while a slow news day at work. I was even able to sneak in a "Cheeseburger in Paradise" reference.

Pretty proud of this one. I think it should be a success.

Written By: K1chyd on 05/20/18 at 12:59 am

Yes, getting started on this one wasn't easy. Had to listen to the original (and read the original lyrics) more than usual to get a feel for the song. Not really a summer song in my opinion, but then again I have no historical context for it over here, and such hits can be pretty random - some of the local summer hits here have been... well... best not spoken of never again once off the air. 8)

Oh, right! I've already introduced you guys to Dr. Bombay! :D

Anyway, I'm working on a piece of fanfic now - 5/6 done but not even a preliminary title yet.

Written By: K1chyd on 05/20/18 at 3:28 am

Question: Is the s needed when describing removal by laser?

a) "She lasers my tattoos"
b) "She laser my tattoos"

I've tried googling this, but came up inconclusive - so I'm throwing the question out here.

Written By: karen on 05/20/18 at 5:57 am

I've tried googling this, but came up inconclusive - so I'm throwing the question out here.

I would say lasers my tattoos

Written By: Matthias on 05/20/18 at 9:05 am

Lasers my tattoos sounds better

Written By: K1chyd on 05/20/18 at 10:41 am

Lasers my tattoos sounds better

2 for 2 so far - thanks!

Written By: Matthias on 05/21/18 at 8:42 am

Yes, getting started on this one wasn't easy. Had to listen to the original (and read the original lyrics) more than usual to get a feel for the song. Not really a summer song in my opinion, but then again I have no historical context for it over here, and such hits can be pretty random - some of the local summer hits here have been... well... best not spoken of never again once off the air. 8)

Oh, right! I've already introduced you guys to Dr. Bombay! :D

Anyway, I'm working on a piece of fanfic now - 5/6 done but not even a preliminary title yet.

Here in America Jimmy Buffett and the Beach Boys are HUGE artists in the summertime.

This song is about how people's attitudes change where the weather is warmer so it has a lot to do with summer or at least being down south.

Dr. Bombay was fun! Hope to see more artists like him in the future. I know an artist like him called "Dr. Reanimator" and his song "Move Your Dead Bones" which I might use after summer when the Halloween season returns.

Written By: K1chyd on 05/24/18 at 9:47 am

The submission window is open. We forgot to put it on the front page this time, so I'd be surprised if there's more than the three of us usual suspects.

Written By: Matthias on 05/24/18 at 9:51 am

The submission window is open. We forgot to put it on the front page this time, so I'd be surprised if there's more than the three of us usual suspects.

For the last several weeks that's been the case anyway... Don't want to be a Debbie Downer because I love this challenge but it's not bringing the onslaught of writers as I was hoping it would...

Written By: K1chyd on 05/24/18 at 10:18 am

For the last several weeks that's been the case anyway... Don't want to be a Debbie Downer because I love this challenge but it's not bringing the onslaught of writers as I was hoping it would...

True, but we're already at 38 rounds so let's aim for at least 52 so we can say we fought the good fight for a whole year!

Written By: K1chyd on 05/24/18 at 1:17 pm

And I forgot to say that I'm really pleased with my parody this week. I had a rough time getting started, but once I did it worked out great, and I'm giving it one of my best titles ever if I do say so myself, you'll se tomorrow.

I think I kinda prefer it a bit working with longer lines like this. Got one of those coming up myself shortly, either next time or the one after that.

Check for new replies or respond here...