inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE - "Happy Birthday" (Due 6-15-2018)

Written By: Matthias on 06/07/18 at 7:03 am

ONE WEEK NOTICE!

On Friday June 15th 2018 there will be a parody from me on the front page of Amiright.

As this week's One Week Notice host I'm now inviting you (Yes, that means YOU!) to write one too, then post it for the same day. The original song's lyrics follows below the mandatory fine print about these One Week Notices.

THE FINE PRINT: The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

My 30th Birthday is coming up very quickly: June 9th to be exact. Come and celebrate along with me by parodying one of Weird Al's more depressing original tunes: "Happy Birthday". Perhaps we can turn his song about violence and depravity into something a little bit more upbeat. This is very punk (lyrically) for a Weird Al song as well. One of his earliest songs from his 1st album and it's starting to show it's age. Of course I wanted to go with Weird Al Yankovic for this round because Weird Al remains to this day to be my favorite artist of all time.

Song Title - "Happy Birthday"
Artist - Weird Al Yankovic
Year - 1983
Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WsQO1jOXLeg

Happy birthday
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday
Happy birthday to you

Well, it's time to celebrate your birthday, it happens every year
We'll eat a lot of broccoli and drink a lot of beer
You should be good and happy that there's something you can eat
A million people every day are starving in the street

Your daddy's in the gutter with the wretched and the poor
Your mama's in the kitchen with a can of Cycle Four
There's garbage in the water
There's poison in the sky
I guess it won't be long before we're all gonna die

Happy birthday
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday
Happy birthday to you

Well, what's the matter little friend, you think this party is the pits
Enjoy it while you can, we'll soon be blown to bits
The monkeys in the pentagon are gonna cook our goose
Their finger's on the button, all they need is an excuse

It doesn't take a military genius to see
We'll all be crispy critters after World War III
There's nowhere you can run to, nowhere you can hide
When they drop the big one, we all get fried

(Come on boys and girls, sing along, ok?)

Happy birthday
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday
Happy birthday to you
wow! (background screaming, sound effect)

Well there's a punk in the alley and he's looking for a fight
There's an Arab on the corner buying everything in sight
There's a mother in the ghetto with another mouth to feed
Seems that everywhere you look today there's misery and greed

I guess you know the Earth is gonna crash into the sun
But that's no reason why we shouldn't have a little fun
So if you think it's scary, if it's more than you can take
Just blow out the candles and have a piece of cake

Happy birthday
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday
Happy birthday to you
wow!

Happy birthday
Happy birthday to you
Happy birthday
Happy birthday to you

(Happy Birthday!)

And a pinch to grow an inch!

DUE = 6/15/2018

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE - "Happy Birthday" (Due 6-15-2018)

Written By: Matthias on 06/07/18 at 9:38 am

I know it's difficult to parody comedy songs. We haven't really had anything too comedic so far "SOS (The Tiger Ate My Family" was probably the goofiest song we parodied so far so this could be a bit of a challenge but I think that we can pull it off. All we need is a good rhyme for "Birthday"

Written By: K1chyd on 06/07/18 at 9:53 am

I know it's difficult to parody comedy songs. We haven't really had anything too comedic so far "SOS (The Tiger Ate My Family" was probably the goofiest song we parodied so far so this could be a bit of a challenge but I think that we can pull it off. All we need is a good rhyme for "Birthday"

Lazy workday?

Written By: K1chyd on 06/07/18 at 10:00 am

I know it's difficult to parody comedy songs.

Yes, that's why I usually avoid those. Then again my sole exception last year, my parody of Bloodhound Gangs OS "My dad says that's for pussies", was IMHO one of my two best last year. Even Rob Arndt :o seems to have given it all 5s since that's all there's there right now.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2010s/bloodhoundgang0.shtml

I already have one idea for this birthday song, but if going that route I will focus on pacing everything else and variable syllable count substitutes for "Happy Birthday".

Written By: Matthias on 06/07/18 at 10:08 am

I think I'm gonna do "CRAPPY FIRST DATE" (About a couple on a really awkward and bad 1st date)

https://hips.hearstapps.com/hmg-prod.s3.amazonaws.com/images/701/images/slideshow2/1-bad-date-intro-1497017521.jpg?resize=480:*

Written By: K1chyd on 06/07/18 at 10:10 am

I think I'm gonna do "CRAPPY FIRST DATE" (About a couple on a really awkward and bad 1st date)

"Crappy first date with you" or "Crappy first date with ewe"?

Written By: Matthias on 06/07/18 at 10:56 am

Can somebody explain what Cycle Four is?

Written By: K1chyd on 06/07/18 at 12:43 pm

Can somebody explain what Cycle Four is?

I figured beer. I figured wrong.

https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/rec.music.dementia/Z45rk-adpQ4

Written By: K1chyd on 06/07/18 at 12:48 pm

Upon further googling, here's an add for it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AncbODpuCXA

Written By: Matthias on 06/07/18 at 1:36 pm

Finished with mine already!

This is actually a really fun song to parody. Glad that I went this route with my Birthday song round!

Written By: K1chyd on 06/07/18 at 11:22 pm

First idea probably scrapped (was thinking of writing how I always mess up the holidays here on Amiright, writing Christmas songs in August and Halloween songs in February etc). Now thinking I'll try "Whizzed the wrong gate" - though not sure I can stretch the subject for a whole song.

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/wem1vietDRw/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: K1chyd on 06/09/18 at 12:54 pm

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfEObsg1IgWCRtJCo3mn3z6HLfEGBzbjhv1uWAdOQjG33hIcxs

Question: Are there any good slang words for these, or are they just called "tickets" everywhere?

Additional: As kinda predicted I had to change the subject again, the working title is now "At the Pearl' Gates - In Row" about a guy standing in row to get into Heaven. And there might be some list type parody reminiscence going on...

For anyone stuck I think that "Winter's coming - It snows" could be another starting point.

Written By: Matthias on 06/10/18 at 7:23 am

https://encrypted-tbn0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTfEObsg1IgWCRtJCo3mn3z6HLfEGBzbjhv1uWAdOQjG33hIcxs

Question: Are there any good slang words for these, or are they just called "tickets" everywhere?

Additional: As kinda predicted I had to change the subject again, the working title is now "At the Pearl' Gates - In Row" about a guy standing in row to get into Heaven. And there might be some list type parody reminiscence going on...

For anyone stuck I think that "Winter's coming - It snows" could be another starting point.

In America I think they just say “Take a number”

Is Agrimorfee gonna make it this time with “My shoes got stained (with poop)”

Written By: K1chyd on 06/10/18 at 9:13 am

In America I think they just say “Take a number”

Is Agrimorfee gonna make it this time with “My shoes got stained (with poop)”

Maybe cover the whole shoe rack by just varying the chorus:

Loafers got stained // My crocs got stained // Sneakers got stained

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/13/18 at 2:41 pm

Mine is ready for submission, and I'm totally pysched to have you all read it...

My only hint is, as Matty was wondering how we can make this OS not so dark,  that this parody will indeed be lighthearted and festive.  :-X  :D

There is no dog poop involved.  :P

Written By: K1chyd on 06/14/18 at 8:46 am

Belated happy birthday - Not sure if mine qualifies as lighthearted and festive, but as far as mining comedy out of first person perspective from a guy standing in line waiting to be rejected by Saint Peter goes I think I've managed to hit rock-out bottom.

Check for new replies or respond here...