inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: AMIRIGHT REUNION: MUSICAL DINNER THEATER - DUE AUGUST 31st

Written By: Matthias on 07/31/18 at 12:14 pm

This challenge originated in the TOP SECRET SONG PARODY FACEBOOK GROUP that everybody knows about.  The first one went really well, so we're going to start advertising here and on the front page so that people not in the group can participate as well.  Anyone with questions can leave them here or in the comment section of the Events Page notification.  Or in the comment section of one of my parodies, I'll definitely see that haha.  Okay.  So the main thing to know is that the parodies should appear on AmiRight on Friday, August 31st, so they should be submitted Thursday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ever wish you could travel back in time to the Golden Age of AmiRight?  Well gas up your DeLorean, because we know exactly when lightning is gonna strike the clock tower!  On Friday, August 31st, a crapload of AmiRight blasts from the pasts will all be showing up back at their old stomping grounds for MUSICAL DINNER THEATER - In honor of food, glorious food... The challenge is to parody any song by BROADWAY and OFF-BROADWAY TUNES and make it about something to do with food like Red Lobster OR Sushi OR Chef Boyardee it's really up to you. Anything is up for grabs, INCLUDING NOT FOLLOWING THE CHALLENGE PARAMETERS AT ALL.

See, the main point of the challenge is really the reunion aspect, where all these great authors pick two days a month (one near the middle and one at the end) to show up back here and resume the great camaraderie and encouragement that characterized this place back in the day.  So even if you're like "What the hell is Rocky Horror Picture Show?"  Or "Who the hell is Gordon Ramsay"  You can still write a parody about whatever the hell you want, show up, and know that there will most likely be an amazingly receptive  potential audience for your work, especially provided you're one of those brilliant people who understand that Golden Rule thing.  So have fun, good luck, and we'll see you there!

Subject: Re: AMIRIGHT REUNION: MUSICAL DINNER THEATER - DUE AUGUST 31st

Written By: Matthias on 07/31/18 at 3:44 pm

I don't know much about Hell's Kitchen other than Gordon Ramsay flipping out on people but one could turn the song "The Greatest Show" from "The Greatest Showman" about it.

Written By: ThaConqueror on 07/31/18 at 7:05 pm

I panicked a bit at first that this'll be the first Reunion dealie I had to dip out on because I didn't there'd be any Broadway or Off-Broadway songs in my list. Hell, I don't even know what Off-Broadway is. But I underestimated Todd in the Shadow's choice of credits songs, so look forward to "Chips From the Shop", my take on "Wig in a Box" from the apparently Off-Broadway musical "Hedwig and the Angry Inch"

Written By: K1chyd on 08/01/18 at 9:50 am

I don't really know for sure what the definition of a Broadway tune is. A showtune from a theatrical play on Broadway I'd guess of course. But then again would any showtune from any theatrical production count as Off Broadway? Monthy python? The spiderman adaptation. Springtime for Hitler, i.e "The Hitler rap" from the movie that became a show comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpYQJkBQp0

Written By: Matthias on 08/01/18 at 10:38 am

I don't really know for sure what the definition of a Broadway tune is. A showtune from a theatrical play on Broadway I'd guess of course. But then again would any showtune from any theatrical production count as Off Broadway? Monthy python? The spiderman adaptation. Springtime for Hitler, i.e "The Hitler rap" from the movie that became a show comes to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4zpYQJkBQp0

I would define Off-Broadway productions as the more unusual, off-kilter style musicals that exist outside of Broadway, New York but have made an impact large enough that people still flock to them. For example "Hamilton" would be considered Broadway BUT "Spongebob: The Musical" or "Shrek: The Musical" or my personal favorite "Evil Dead: The Musical" would be considered an Off-Broadway production.

I think that I'm going to be doing a song from "Evil Dead: The Musical". That song is "Cabin In The Woods" and I am going to turn it into "Cabbage Isn't Good" about a kid who HATES cabbage perhaps I'll go above and beyond and make it a sentient monster which would make sense because it's based on a musical of a horror movie.

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/9d/85/74/9d8574d785426c272b1b0192aa8e7ca1.jpg

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/01/18 at 10:56 am

Off-Broadway I believe technically means anything that didn't open in NYC. "Spongebob" (nominated for Tonys this year) did play on Broadway, but it had runs in Chicago and elsewhere before that opening.

For the ease of all this, Peter, yeah, go for anything that comes originally from a stage musical production...or was specifically written for a movie musical (Matthias asked me on the FB page), examples such as Bugsy Malone, The Greatest Showman, or LaLa Land.

Written By: Matthias on 08/21/18 at 2:03 pm

"What'd I Stick In My Old Freezer" to "Science Fiction, Double Feature" from Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming soon...

https://www.appliancesonline.com.au/academy/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Hazmat-team-with-fridge.jpg

Written By: K1chyd on 08/21/18 at 11:19 pm

"What'd I Stick In My Old Freezer" to "Science Fiction, Double Feature" from Rocky Horror Picture Show is coming soon...

I sense a Hannibal the Cannibal parody coming...

Written By: Matthias on 08/22/18 at 10:20 am

I sense a Hannibal the Cannibal parody coming...

It's more about finding insanely bizarre foodstuffs...

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/22/18 at 10:43 am

It's more about finding insanely bizarre foodstuffs...

Uh oh...that's my M.O., and I haven't even started... :o :\'(

Written By: K1chyd on 08/22/18 at 11:53 pm

Uh oh...that's my M.O., and I haven't even started... :o :\'(

Well, it would be a funny double meta joke if you did "What I Found In Matty's Freezer" to "Science Fiction, Double Feature" - especially since, you know, the original has "Double Feature" in the title. :D

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/23/18 at 8:31 am

Well, it would be a funny double meta joke if you did "What I Found In Matty's Freezer" to "Science Fiction, Double Feature" - especially since, you know, the original has "Double Feature" in the title. :D

Hmm, that's not the song I have in mind, but you do have a point there, Pete. :-X ;)

Written By: K1chyd on 08/30/18 at 9:20 am

Once I realized that The Muppet Show must surely be Off-Broadway this round became a piece of cake. 8)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/30/18 at 9:58 am

The Muppet Show must surely be Off-Broadway.... 8)

Um...where did you get that idea?  ??? OK, there are the Muppet Movies that would certainly qualify. Of course, in the long run it doesn't matter.

Written By: Matthias on 08/30/18 at 10:36 am

Um...where did you get that idea?  ??? OK, there are the Muppet Movies that would certainly qualify. Of course, in the long run it doesn't matter.

Yeah... I wouldn't call the Magic School Bus theme song an Off-Broadway production and if you're doing the Theme Song to the Muppet Show I wouldn't really consider it that either.

BUT that being said these Amiright Reunions are all about togetherness and one of the qualifiers is that you don't need to follow the theme at all so I suppose being CLOSE would also fall in that category

Written By: K1chyd on 08/30/18 at 10:51 am

Yeah, I'm playing loose with the rules that allows wide interpretation. It's from the muppet SHOW, so I'll credit it as a SHOW-tune. 8)

Additional: Bigger problem might be that I thought it was an original of theirs, and while checking the YouTube link one last time I realized that it wasn't. Rewrote the intro to mention that though.

Written By: Matthias on 08/30/18 at 2:09 pm

Yeah, I'm playing loose with the rules that allows wide interpretation. It's from the muppet SHOW, so I'll credit it as a SHOW-tune. 8)

Additional: Bigger problem might be that I thought it was an original of theirs, and while checking the YouTube link one last time I realized that it wasn't. Rewrote the intro to mention that though.

Mahnamana

Written By: K1chyd on 08/31/18 at 12:06 am

Mahnamana

I don't know if I could get drunk enough to tackle that one! :D

I've used "Does your chewing gum lose its flavor on the bedpost overnight?" and turned it into a parody about a DINNER date where both becomes more and more interrested in their smartphones than each other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEp8mebBsAI

Check for new replies or respond here...