inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE (Due Aug 10) "Well alright"

Written By: K1chyd on 08/02/18 at 9:52 am

Preface: Two minutes of 50s rock, originally by Buddy Holly, but I'm going with the version I'm familiar with (it still sounds very 50ish, so don't worry). The original song has been done two times on Amiright, by two different authors, and a third time too since one of those has also parodied the cover from 1969 by band Blind Faith. No other parodies what I can find, but the original has also been covered by lots of other bands and artists (including rather famous ones like Santana And Lyle Lovett) so the general absence from Amirigh is a bit of a surprise.

Here goes:

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE (Due Aug 10) "Well alright"

Written By: K1chyd on 08/02/18 at 9:53 am

On Friday August 10th 2018 there will be a parody from me on the front page of Amiright.

It will be based on:
Song Title - "Well Alright" (2000)
Artist - Lemmy, Slim Jim & Danny B

YouTube - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cl7xdUNERuA

As this week's One Week Notice host I'm now inviting you (Yes, that means YOU!) to write one too, then post it for the same day. The original song's lyrics follows below the mandatory fine print about these One Week Notices.

THE FINE PRINT: The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

Well, alright, so I've been foolish
Well, alright, let people know
About the dreams and wishes you wish
In the night when lights are low

Well, alright, well, alright
You know we'll live and love with all our might
You know our lifetime of love will be alright

Well, alright, so I'm not staying
Well, alright, let people say
That those foolish kids can't be ready
For the love that comes their way

We live and love with all our might
And a lifetime of love will be alright

We will live and love with all our might
And a lifetime of love will be alright

Written By: K1chyd on 08/02/18 at 10:10 am

Trivia: The whole album from 2000 was pretty much an impromptu cover project by three musicians who had learned the ropes playing this type of music in the 60s. Some of the lyrics differ slightly from the originals because they played several of the songs from pure memory. Later and under growing request of doing gigs they formalised things a bit under the band name Head Cat (members are from Motorhead, Stray Cats and The Rockats) and the album was re-released under that name.

Written By: Matthias on 08/02/18 at 10:12 am

I thought this was Agrimorfee’s week

Written By: K1chyd on 08/02/18 at 10:14 am

I thought this was Agrimorfee’s week

Check post number one on the sign-up thread!  ;)

And my post from July 14.

BTW: My parody in the works will almost certainly be called "What a pie!"

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/30635514/mmmm-pie.jpg

Written By: Matthias on 08/02/18 at 10:28 am

Check post number one on the sign-up thread!  ;)

And my post from July 14.

BTW: My parody in the works will almost certainly be called "What a pie!"

https://memegenerator.net/img/instances/30635514/mmmm-pie.jpg

Oops! That week off threw me off

I have an idea for what song I want to do next though based off of the title of this song

Written By: Matthias on 08/02/18 at 10:38 am

I think I'm gonna do 'Lectric Kite about Benjamin Franklin and his discovery of electricity

https://i.ytimg.com/vi/4Wmt87_ukXM/hqdefault.jpg

Written By: K1chyd on 08/02/18 at 10:45 am

I think I'm gonna do 'Lectric Kite about Benjamin Franklin and his discovery of electricity

Cool title, original subject!

BTW: If anyone who sees this is in contact with John Barry and/or Paul Robinson on that secret Facebook group or whatever, tell them about this round, they are the (only) two writers who has tackled this song before:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/search/search.php?input00=well+alright&input01=&input02=&input03=&SearchTerms=4&Start=0

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/02/18 at 10:49 am

Ewww...lotsa repitition here.  :o
Good luck, gents.

Written By: Matthias on 08/02/18 at 10:51 am

Good luck, gents.

I just parodied “Livin on the Edge” now THAT was a repiticious song!!

Written By: K1chyd on 08/02/18 at 11:05 am

Good luck, gents.

Yes, but not that hard to vary since "right" is one of the more rhyme-friendly words there is.

Also it's a short OS - and I think that was much more common back in the 50s. Depending on turnout this round we might wanna look for more 50s rock for OWNs in the future.

Written By: K1chyd on 08/09/18 at 10:24 am

The submission window is NOT open yet, because it seems the Thursday update is late.

Not sure how to play this people. Anyone know what's up?

Written By: Matthias on 08/09/18 at 12:10 pm

The submission window is NOT open yet, because it seems the Thursday update is late.

Not sure how to play this people. Anyone know what's up?

I guess we should just wait till the end of the day or alert Chucky G

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/09/18 at 12:33 pm

I guess we should just wait till the end of the day or alert Chucky G

My window of opportunity to type/post was 8am CT, I'm already done. Chances are it'll be in tomorrow. I wouldn't bother Chucky.

Written By: K1chyd on 08/09/18 at 1:43 pm

I'll go ahead too now, gotta catch some zs. Beyond forgetting there's also the chance there actually were zero new submissions for the Thursday update. Never a big day - why post for Thursday and get one day on the top page when you can post for Friday and get three.

Written By: K1chyd on 08/22/18 at 12:51 am

Weeks down now but I've submitted a late extra bonus parody for this one - "To the Light!". It started off a Poltergeist movie idea that I had for the original posting day but never wrote - ended up something else now - you'll see.

Any subject, any angle - Matty's right - OWN has been great training for me. I haven't written this many parodies since 2007, and to be honest, the occasional gem aside back then the majority of those I would not submit as finished now.

Check for new replies or respond here...