inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ONE WEEK NOTICE - "Magic School Bus" (Due = 9-31-2018)

Written By: Matthias on 08/23/18 at 8:57 am

Welcome to the Friday August 24th to Friday August 31st (publishing date) round of the One Week Notice challenge. My name is Matthias, I'll be your host.

The core of One Week Notice is this: We all write parodies of the same original song - and then we post them on the same day! The song chosen ideally should be one that has not been already parodied on Amiright, and should also be of reasonable difficulty and length (Matthias is hosting a separate thread for general discussion about that part, see the messageboard and feel free to join in - or even better - sign up to host a round yourself!)

http://www.inthe00s.com/index.php?topic=56105.0

As things have evolved we're working on a From Friday To Friday basis. The host picks an original song and posts about it in a new messageboard thread on the first friday (or after the Thursday update on Amiright's front page if that's more convenient) and those who want to participate have one week to create a parody of it. All those parodies of the same song are then submitted to go on the next week's Friday's publishing date on Amiright (barring acts of God/Site Mods).

This challenge is not a contest judging for quality. No points are awarded. Constructive criticism is encouraged, but we have no strict rule or requirement for everyone to even read each parody and/or leave comments. Obviously that's an important part of the whole thing, but you won't get bashed if life gets in your way. The whole thing is done in the spirit of flexing our parody writing "muscles" and to grow back the spirit of camaraderie within the Amiright community. The host of a round must provide a link to the original song's lyrics (or post them in his/her host post, like I'm doing here below), a link to a YouTube video of the song (or an equivalent thereof) and information about what year the song was first released (to allow for the submission form on Amiright).

With all that said, here's the brand new One Week Notice challenge--

- Peter Lurye is the composer of this television theme song also known for creating other theme songs for kids such as - "Teacher's Pet", "My Life As A Teenage Robot" and "Bear in the Big Blue House". I chose this particular song because the beginning of September/ End of August is the time of year when a lot of students go back to school and they'll certainly be watching this television show in class or the new Netflix reboot.

Song Title: "Magic School Bus"
Artist: Peter Lurye (Performed by Little Richard)
Year: 1994

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QiZT1bdGllM

Cruisin' on down Main Street
You're relaxed and feelin' good
Next thing that you know you're seein'
Octopus in the neighborhood!

Surfin' on a sound wave
Swingin' through the stars
Take a left at your intestine
Take your second right past Mars.

On THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS
Navigate a nostril
Climb on THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS
Spank a plankton, too (Take that!)
On our Magic School Bus
Raft a river of lava
On THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS
Such a fine thing to do!

So strap your bones right to the seat
Come on in and don't be shy —
Just to make your day complete
You might get baked into a pie

On THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS...
Step inside — it's a wilder ride!
Come on — ride on THE MAGIC SCHOOL BUS!

DUE = AUGUST 31st

Subject: Re: ONE WEEK NOTICE - "Magic School Bus" (Due = 9-31-2018)

Written By: Matthias on 08/23/18 at 9:10 am

Accidentally posted this during break week for MUSICAL DINNER THEATER AMIRIGHT REUNION week BUT it’s a fairly easy and short simple song to parody. It’s a theme song for a Kid’s TV Show for crying out loud and I think we can tackle this and do a Broadway Buffet Ballad soooooo here we go!

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 08/23/18 at 11:21 pm

I've got an idea for a double feature...

The Magic School Bus and The Who's Magic Bus. Been wanting to do something like that for a while.

Written By: K1chyd on 08/25/18 at 2:08 am

Thanks to Matty keeping count I just realized that this is our 50th round!

Written By: Matthias on 08/27/18 at 11:19 am

Simple song to parody once I get an idea... Anybody have any suggestions?

Written By: Matthias on 08/27/18 at 12:19 pm

Figured it out...

"CATHOLIC SCHOOL SUCKS" is coming Friday...

https://c1.staticflickr.com/3/2854/11047076106_ca43a3c590.jpg

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/27/18 at 12:41 pm

I'm gonna ask my kid if he wants to help, he's very acquainted with this show and "gets" my hobby.  ;D

Written By: K1chyd on 08/28/18 at 9:02 am

I'm writing one of those wacky food parodies, not title yet but "Garliced Walrus" or "Meatballed Smurf Tush" are sure candidates.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/28/18 at 9:06 am

I'm writing one of those wacky food parodies, not title yet but "Garliced Walrus" or "Meatballed Smurf Tush" are sure candidates.

Oh come on now!  :o :D :D :)

Written By: Matthias on 08/28/18 at 10:20 am

Oh come on now!  :o :D :D :)

Gonna have to do another disturbed Smurf parody for the last round it’s become an ongoing theme for OWN

Written By: K1chyd on 08/30/18 at 8:58 am

Gonna have to do another disturbed Smurf parody for the last round it’s become an ongoing theme for OWN

In the end I decided to go with the meta-ish title "Also we have Word Salad" - but rest assured, the above lines are still in and it's quite coherent for a wacky food parody.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 08/30/18 at 9:59 pm

Just submitted...

"Little Richard Sings Magic Bus by The Who"

and

"Magic School Bus Theme" by The Who

Too much Magic Bus, indeed. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...