inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Question about package delivery in the US

Written By: K1chyd on 01/10/22 at 6:15 am

The postal service in the USA - do they deliver medium size packages and/or big packages, or just plain mail and packages small enough for the private letter boxes? Do you have to go to the local post office for bigger stuff? Or is that just specialized delivery services these days?

Had an idea for a possible parody on my way home today, asking for research purposes before committing.

Subject: Re: Question about package delivery in the US

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/10/22 at 8:57 am

The US Postal Service will deliver anything of any size, as long as you pay for it. You have to bring it to them. Whether it gets to it's destination or not is another story altogether.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/10/22 at 9:21 am

"Return To Sender" with address unknown?

It is the same in the UK, except for during the pandemic, home collections were introduced for the pandemic.

Written By: K1chyd on 01/10/22 at 10:55 am

"Return To Sender" with address unknown?

Ha-ha! Working on that OS the other week might have still been in the back of my mind and partly to blame for the new idea. But nah, totally diffent OS, totally different genre, and the subject more along the line of "supply chain issues".

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/10/22 at 11:17 am

Ha-ha! Working on that OS the other week might have still been in the back of my mind and partly to blame for the new idea. But nah, totally diffent OS, totally different genre, and the subject more along the line of "supply chain issues".

Part of the problem I am noticing with mail now, if, for example I buy something on Ebay, etc is that my item sometimes sits for weeks in some post office in some obscure town somewhere, while en route to me. I know this from looking at the tracking info. Apparently, due to Covid, these places simply don't have the staff to meet the demand. Or that's the excuse they are using anyway. I definitely think this falls under  "supply chain issues".

Written By: karen on 01/10/22 at 12:19 pm

The US Postal Service will deliver anything of any size, as long as you pay for it. You have to bring it to them. Whether it gets to it's destination or not is another story altogether.

When we lived in Connecticut we had a mailbox at the end of the long drive. All normal sized letters were put into this and the newspaper was dropped next to it.

I don’t think we ever had any parcels delivered so I don’t know what would happen if a large parcel didn’t fit into the mailbox. Does the mail person come to your house?

Written By: Voiceofthe70s on 01/10/22 at 12:42 pm

When we lived in Connecticut we had a mailbox at the end of the long drive. All normal sized letters were put into this and the newspaper was dropped next to it.

I don’t think we ever had any parcels delivered so I don’t know what would happen if a large parcel didn’t fit into the mailbox. Does the mail person come to your house?

Ha! If you're lucky they'll come to your house, but they often leave it outside, on the front stairs, etc. Amazon is even worse. There was a time when the post office would have made the extra effort, but those days are long gone.

Written By: K1chyd on 01/10/22 at 1:23 pm

Apparently, due to Covid, these places simply don't have the staff to meet the demand. Or that's the excuse they are using anyway. I definitely think this falls under  "supply chain issues".

Oh, that's good! I totally have to work Covid in as a supply issue, if such a pun is possible.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/10/22 at 1:42 pm

Part of the problem I am noticing with mail now, if, for example I buy something on Ebay, etc is that my item sometimes sits for weeks in some post office in some obscure town somewhere, while en route to me. I know this from looking at the tracking info. Apparently, due to Covid, these places simply don't have the staff to meet the demand. Or that's the excuse they are using anyway. I definitely think this falls under  "supply chain issues".

The thing is about eBay, the sellers are usually just regular folks. When a seller sells something on eBay, they plug in some info and get a label for shipping. They then are supposed to slap that label on the package and take the package to the Post Office or arrange to have it picked up. When they print out the label, the Post Office will state on the tracking # that it is at the Post Office when in fact, it is not. Sometimes the seller will sit on the package before it actually is sent off.

But, there are sometimes it WILL be sitting at a Post Office somewhere.

I have learned that some Post Offices are better than others. When I was living in San Antonio, someone sent me a letter from across the city. It took THREE WEEKS! to get to me. In Vermont, if you mail anything in Vermont to another place in Vermont, it will get there the next day-GUARANTEED! One time I had my letter carrier come to my door with a package asking, "Is this you?" I looked at it. The first name was correct. The last name wasn't. The address was WAY off-don't even think the address even existed. I looked at the return address and recognized it. I said, "Believe it or not, it is me." That was going WAY above the call of duty. Any other Post Office would have sent it back.

Cat

Written By: nally on 01/10/22 at 8:04 pm

The postal service in the USA - do they deliver medium size packages and/or big packages, or just plain mail and packages small enough for the private letter boxes? Do you have to go to the local post office for bigger stuff? Or is that just specialized delivery services these days?

Had an idea for a possible parody on my way home today, asking for research purposes before committing.

Both kinds of packages. It depends on the size of the item.

Yep, in a nutshell that's about right. O0

Written By: K1chyd on 01/13/22 at 10:35 am

Thanks to everyone who commented on this thread, it helped with inspiration although the postal part of the final parody became less than what I thought initially. Anyway, "Supply Chain Issues" have been submitted for tomorrow with the following intro:

"I can't explain how this title swap idea came to me, but the album ”Stock Rocker Nuts” from 1990 is one of those super solid ones where every single track is a rock slash pop-punk gem still worth listening to every now and then. Fans of Green Day might wanna take notice. Sator got themselves a contract for worldwide promotion, but then a little thing called grunge happened and their next album was way too polished for that new and musically different era, also it mostly lacked the raw energy (of songs like this one) that over the previous years had made them famous in Scandinavia in the first place.

A YouTube version of the original song can currently be found <A HREF="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUXlzSPsHAM">here</A>.

Written By: K1chyd on 01/14/22 at 9:24 pm

If someone had told med twentyfive years ago that I would one day write a funny song about Supply Chain Issues.  ::) :D ;D

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/sator1.shtml

Check for new replies or respond here...