inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What does everyone think about...

Written By: EthanM on 05/30/04 at 10:41 pm

an ABCs/SOTM album? We were talking about making a best of amiright album and the winners of these contests (each letter and month) would probably be the closest we could ever agree on to the "best of amiright". (and we wouldn't have to do it all at once) I have some more ideas but i'd like to hear some other opinions first.

Subject: Re: What does everyone think about...

Written By: PRobinson on 06/01/04 at 1:23 am

Ethan, sounds like a fine idea, technical issues notwithstanding.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/01/04 at 10:18 am

The only problem I can see is a potential overabundance of the same writers (hypothetical situation--4 songs from a Claude Prez representing 12 months of efforts from many). Does that make sense? ???

Written By: Rick D on 06/01/04 at 3:01 pm

My area of expertise is and has always been recordings. I'm doing my best here from San Jose to help people make and distribute them. I would see down the road a separate collection of "Best Of" recordings located in one place with a link to Amiright. I know Lund/Spaff and us Duncans have an edge, but we can be restricted to two or something. Other people are able to record their vocals with their parody lyrics. So we can have 10 to twenty of those on one link, and another link for those who just write. And as we have found out, many great written works don't translate well when performed. None of us here do this for money (Well, maybe Spaff), so I wouldn't worry about being sued.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 06/01/04 at 9:54 pm

I think we should listen to Rick; he's done fantastic stuff recording-wise and since he's likely to be central to any big recording projects his opinion should carry a lot of weight.  Like he says, not all lyrics translate well to recordings.  For my part, I'm of course thrilled to have my stuff recorded but I really do write them to be read and have no delusions about being a recording artist so I'd be fine with it if my songs were not considered.  Rick has already done one of mine plus a part of another on a tribute medley so I feel like I've had my turn.

Written By: Spaff.com on 06/02/04 at 12:40 pm

None of us here do this for money (Well, maybe Spaff)

Yeah, it's all about the bling bling, baby. Since I recently discovered that I make more $$$ selling my plasma than I do from my parodies, I suppose you could also say I maintain a pulse "for money."

We've discussed an amiright CD a couple of times in the past, and I continue to like the idea. Even if it were to end up being all Claude's lyrics and RAD & MAD's music, hell, I'd buy that!

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Diva on 06/21/04 at 7:23 am

Ok Ethan how does this work? Where are the rules? ECT?

Written By: STG on 06/21/04 at 7:32 am

I'm up for it, (if I actually win) I have a recording studio I can zoom on by and record a parody song.
I'm thinking of doing a parody CD this summer, but I'm still debating.

Written By: EthanM on 06/21/04 at 7:39 am

Ok Ethan how does this work? Where are the rules? ECT?

the rules for the contest or for how this recording would work? There is a rules and questions about rules thread somewhere on this board and the recordings would be selected from the winners of the ABCs and song of the month contests (or maybe they can be seperate i'm not sure yet)

Written By: EthanM on 06/21/04 at 7:40 am

I'm up for it, (if I actually win) I have a recording studio I can zoom on by and record a parody song.
I'm thinking of doing a parody CD this summer, but I'm still debating.

even if you don't win i'm sure your help would be appreciated... especially if you can prove that you can sing well

Written By: jreuben on 06/21/04 at 8:20 am

I would be up for this as well, and I loved the idea Rick had for my specific song (Hotel BeastOlympia) with the background music getting slurred towards the end.  Of course, me trying to sing an Eagles song should be funny in itself, but I wouldn't let something like that stop me  ;D

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/22/04 at 12:04 pm

If it came to fruition, I would love to sing my own songs. I am not a pro by any means, but I can carry a tune if it's a low-register--I have lost my falsetto in recent years!-- but I have no recording abilities at this point in time. :(

Written By: Rick D on 06/22/04 at 12:28 pm

Jeff, when I have time, it would be fun to do a sloppy version of "Hotel California", (I'm having trouble with that Sade song.) and nobody can play out of tune leads like me! Perfect for your drunken singing! And Agri, if you can lay vocals over mp3 like Phil does, maybe I can record something with you.

Written By: jreuben on 06/22/04 at 2:47 pm

Rick, that would be great.  I just hope I can sing out of tune as well as you play out of tune

Written By: Rick D on 06/22/04 at 3:53 pm

I've heard your recordings. Not worried. ;)

Written By: jreuben on 06/22/04 at 5:57 pm

Cool Rick...just let me know when you have the time, and we'll work it out!

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 06/23/04 at 1:44 am

Well, being an addict to losing, may I suggest a CD from the best-of  each era? AmiRight 's Best Hits of the 60's/70s/80's/90's/00s and a Christmas Edition. Dreaming high here.

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/23/04 at 2:35 pm

Jeff, when I have time, it would be fun to do a sloppy version of "Hotel California", (I'm having trouble with that Sade song.) and nobody can play out of tune leads like me! Perfect for your drunken singing! And Agri, if you can lay vocals over mp3 like Phil does, maybe I can record something with you.

I have got to invest in technology.... :(

Written By: MAD Mari on 06/26/04 at 5:11 pm

Since everyone's sticking their two cents (or three) in, here's mine.  We should see how many winners there are instead of how many winning songs so that, on the hypothetical CD there can be more writers represented.  I don't care if any of my songs get on the CD but would love to sing or play flute or keyboard on something.

And one more thing... If this thing ever sees the light of day, what would everybody like to see happen with it then?

Written By: agrimorfee on 06/28/04 at 7:35 am

And one more thing... If this thing ever sees the light of day, what would everybody like to see happen with it then?

A small portion of the recordings should be promo'd to people like Dr. Demento.  Maybe a charity can be arranged from the proceeds--that always gets ink. ChuckyG needs to throw his two cents in, this site is his baby.

Written By: Leo Jay on 06/28/04 at 12:12 pm

Whether this idea eventually flies or not, it inspires me to start judging my work according to a much higher standard of 'singability'.

Written By: SI-MAE on 06/28/04 at 3:10 pm

an ABCs/SOTM album? We were talking about making a best of amiright album and the winners of these contests (each letter and month) would probably be the closest we could ever agree on to the "best of amiright". (and we wouldn't have to do it all at once) I have some more ideas but i'd like to hear some other opinions first.

Did you say "best of amiright"? I happen to have cowritten the best song on the site! ;D

That was a joke, no one start whining again. That means you, philbo.

Written By: neminem on 06/29/04 at 2:34 pm

Two things:
1. I'd definitely buy such an album if it were made, and
2. If you need another male vocalist, let me know!

Written By: EmiLoca on 07/01/04 at 8:09 am

Well, heck yeah! Unfortunately, since I'm not going to win any contests, I can't help out much. I'd buy it, anyway.

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/01/04 at 4:02 pm

Well, heck yeah! Unfortunately, since I'm not going to win any contests, I can't help out much. I'd buy it, anyway.

Huh?  I've read parodies you've written, EmiLoca, and your pacing and wordplay are superb......why on Earth would you ever say something like ".... Unfortunately, since I'm not going to win any contests...."  ???  I can very easily envision you winning.

Written By: EmiLoca on 07/01/04 at 5:42 pm

Garsh, Johnny D.  That's reel nice'ayoun'all.  I'm actually planning on submitting to contests once I swallow my destructive self-doubt fear and finish adding the rival contenders to my extensive hit list. That said, for YOUR safety, I suggest you let me wallow in my own self-pity. 

Written By: Johnny_D on 07/01/04 at 5:59 pm

Garsh, Johnny D.  That's reel nice'ayoun'all.  I'm actually planning on submitting to contests once I swallow my destructive self-doubt fear and finish adding the rival contenders to my extensive hit list. That said, for YOUR safety, I suggest you let me wallow in my own self-pity. 

You got it.  Wallow away!  ;D ;D ;D

Written By: Spaff.com on 07/02/04 at 7:26 pm

I'm not going to win any contests

True, if you don't enter any. But if/when you do decide to play, we're all gonna hafta watch our butts.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: EmiLoca on 07/05/04 at 12:52 am

...we're all gonna hafta watch our butts.

Well, I could do one of four things:
1. Expose, once and for all, how it is physically impossible to watch one's butt without a mirror, with audio-visuals.
2. Insert a lame innuendo about staring at one's butt. 
3. Blush and insist that butt-watching is a total unnecessary if I should enter a contest.
4. Make a list.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/16/04 at 8:28 pm

GACK! Whatever happened to this idea? I found it floatign about somewhere around #47 of the message board!
Should everybody submit a song of theirs that they can see being a good audible song parody and give permission for those who have the necessary equipment to sing/play it? I think this is too good an idea to le it crumble away from lack of effort.

Written By: adagio on 08/16/04 at 9:17 pm

GACK! Whatever happened to this idea? I found it floatign about somewhere around #47 of the message board!
Should everybody submit a song of theirs that they can see being a good audible song parody and give permission for those who have the necessary equipment to sing/play it? I think this is too good an idea to le it crumble away from lack of effort.

I like this, Luke!  I would never win a funny, funny contest, but I think maybe one or two of mine might be singable with sprucing up.

Written By: The Invincible on 08/17/04 at 2:46 pm

I'm not sure if my involvement in the infamous five-way constitutes a win on my part, but I would be very interested to see if my song would translate well to actual music. I made some money on the side as a freestyle rapper in high school, but I do not have the necessary technology to record a song. I'll let you record my song if you gimme a dollar.

Written By: K1chyd on 08/18/04 at 3:02 pm

I can´t sing but I´m up for the part of running auditions for scantily clad blonde Swedish girls to appear in the 12 videos when this album becomes a hit. ;-)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/18/04 at 7:41 pm

Dibs being #11 ;)

Written By: philbo on 08/20/04 at 11:08 am

I can´t sing but I´m up for the part of running auditions for scantily clad blonde Swedish girls to appear in the 12 videos when this album becomes a hit. ;-)

I'll fly over and join you for those  8)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/20/04 at 12:16 pm

Update: The only parody recordings I have of myself are very crude in terms of sound quality and musicianship, homebrewed on cassette tape. They happen to be "Debt" and The Pile of Bricks rock opera.  My singing voice is not what it used to be, but I can force it out.

Check for new replies or respond here...