inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABCs rule change proposal

Written By: EthanM on 07/10/04 at 1:43 pm

Maybe the 2 parodies winning limit is a little harsh... i'm considering changing the rule to a maximum of 2 winning songs in the 1st half of the alphabet and 3 total. Thoughts?

Subject: Re: ABCs rule change proposal

Written By: John Jenkins on 07/10/04 at 9:32 pm

Ethan:
I second that motion.

As I see it, the concern is that if there are no limits, Spaff and Claude Prez might win 12 letters each and, instead of trying to improve our parody writing to compete with them, the rest of us would just get frustrated.  I really think that no limits on winning is a good thing, but I support your rule change as a step in the right direction.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/12/04 at 5:57 am

I agree with John.  I know the competition part is supposed to be secondary to the feedback part, but it is less fun, especially being banished to the "optional" section.  This may make no difference, but perhaps you'd consider lumping the songs by people who've won twice already in with the others, then putting an asterisk to remind people they're not eligible for contest voting.  The way it's done, I think a lot of people skip right to the "real" entries.  Anyway, that's just my take.  Thanks for reconsidering.

Written By: adagio on 07/12/04 at 9:01 am

Feedback as it stands now seems kind of automatic, not really saying much, except for the extra votes.  It would be nice if contestants really put in helpful feedback on the parodies.

Written By: Leo Jay on 07/12/04 at 9:25 am

Whatever the group decides is fine, but I'm inclined feel the way I do about political term limits -- let the democratic process work.  I'd prefer to simply recognize the parodies I think are the most deserving, and if they all happen to be written by the same couple of people, so be it.  And, if as a group, we feel inclined to share the wealth, we'll vote accordingly anyway, without some automatic mandate in place -- it's not as though the parodies are being submitted anonymously (though that would be an interesting experiment, if there were some way to do it).

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/12/04 at 9:56 am

Feedback as it stands now seems kind of automatic, not really saying much, except for the extra votes.  It would be nice if contestants really put in helpful feedback on the parodies.

I hope folks aren't mad at me for not doing so as of late...it just takes my time away from the work I am supposed to be doing at the office...I am on the fly as it is when it comes to 'net surfing (boss is watching)!

Written By: Leo Jay on 07/12/04 at 12:22 pm

I hope folks aren't mad at me for not doing so as of late...it just takes my time away from the work I am supposed to be doing at the office...I am on the fly as it is when it comes to 'net surfing (boss is watching)!

'S ok -- I already know all my stuff is flawlessly paced, outrageously hilarious and brilliant overall -- I don't need you to put your employment in jeopardy to say so.  I won't mind if you just mutter "f---ing genius -- how does he do that!?!?" to yourself as you go about the work your boss expects of you.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/12/04 at 12:40 pm

It is nice if people give thoughtful comments, but it really can't be expected.  The quick comments and votes let you know it's been read, which to me is what's most important.

Written By: adagio on 07/12/04 at 12:59 pm

Ok, ok!!  lol I agree agri...no job in jeapordy for you; Leo....hehehehehe; Claude...it's just nice if some have time.  ;) all

Written By: neminem on 07/13/04 at 6:04 pm

It is nice if people give thoughtful comments, but it really can't be expected.  The quick comments and votes let you know it's been read, which to me is what's most important.

Agreed. Yes, long, thoughtful comments would be nice, but with an average of about 20 songs to look at, I don't expect it of anyone. Simply voting and commenting to let me know what people thought of it is nice.

Check for new replies or respond here...