inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Song of the month 21st century edition is coming

Written By: EthanM on 07/24/04 at 10:02 pm

In an attempt to encourage the creation of parodies of songs from the 2000's i'm creating a song of the month contest in which all entries must have been written during the appropriate month and obviously parodies of songs from no earlier than 2000. Everyone who has written at least ten parodies or is in the competition may vote while people in a round will be penalized for not voting in that round. The 1st round will be for the month of july and will operate on the same schedule as Claude's contest. If you have any questions ask them here.

Subject: Re: Song of the month 21st century edition is coming

Written By: EmiLoca on 07/24/04 at 11:23 pm

What I'm worried about is the massive anti-pop-culture movement that may arise from this contest.  Someone's bound to start a 60's SOTM thread.  :P 

But hey, I'd be up for it.  Normally I try not to do 2000's songs because I'm afraid no one will vote on them (that's what I've experienced, anyway).  This could definitely turn my...er...life around!  ;D

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/25/04 at 3:52 am

I too celebrate this idea, seeing that I only know recent songs or 'Traditional's, I usually have to scour lyric websites in order to parody songs that your typical AmIRighter would know. *hack cough Beatles hack sputum cough*

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/25/04 at 9:30 am

I was actually thinking of suggesting this, or perhaps dividing the SOTM into "oldies" and "current" categories.  I think it's a great idea, and if there's anything I can do to help let me know.

Written By: adagio on 07/25/04 at 10:04 am

Would this mean that if someone has a 2000's parody, they should enter it her rather on the other monthly contest?

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/25/04 at 10:18 am

Would this mean that if someone has a 2000's parody, they should enter it her rather on the other monthly contest?

So far they're two separate entities so theoretically you could enter either or even both if you wanted.  If Ethan is interested, we could talk about coordinating the two in some way but that's up to him.

Written By: EthanM on 07/25/04 at 10:25 am

you would be able to enter the same song in both contests if it's from the 2000s but you're allowed to enter different songs if you want... i wouldn't mind coordinating the 2 SOTM contests but i don't know what we could do to coordinate them.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/25/04 at 11:06 am

you would be able to enter the same song in both contests if it's from the 2000s but you're allowed to enter different songs if you want... i wouldn't mind coordinating the 2 SOTM contests but i don't know what we could do to coordinate them.

It would depend.  One thought I had was to divide the entries of the SOTM into two categories and everyone would choose their top three from both categories.  Or we could just run them concurrently every month with the same rules for the sake of consistency.  I guess it would depend on how many entries we're getting in each category.  If there are too few entries from the 2000s, for example, we could expand the current category to include the 90s.  These are just ideas; I'm not offended if you want no part of it or anything.  But I think something like this is inevitable and I'm glad someone is doing it.  Maybe other people have some suggestions.

Written By: agrimorfee on 07/27/04 at 5:10 pm

I really don't see the point of making "2000s" a separate contest. :-\\  Either you know the song, or you don't, and it could be an "oldie" or a "traditional". I wouldn't want to participate if I was forced to place a perfectly good song amongst others of the same era, just because fewer people would be inclined to bother reading it all if they are somewhat prejudiced against new music or because "the kids" who are experts on newer pop music will not be necessarily inclined to know every "new" song that *I* heard. I think 'DKTOS' comments will abound worse than than they already are.

Plus there are not that many good songs to parody off of from this current, and still very nascent, century.

Just my opinions.

Written By: EthanM on 07/27/04 at 7:51 pm

Just about every famous parody writer uses mostly new songs. We should encourage that on amiright not discourage it.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 07/28/04 at 12:47 am

Just about every famous parody writer uses mostly new songs. 

Aww, you shouldn't have, Ethan!
(retort now with emphasis on the 'just about') :)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/31/04 at 5:37 am

It occurs to me that there's no reason to coordinate the two; people can just enter both so you should do whatever you were going to do; I think it will go really well.  Feel free to copy the SOTM rules and stuff if you want.  Good luck!

Check for new replies or respond here...