inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: SOTM stuff

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/31/04 at 5:34 am

First thing is I was wondering what people thought of requiring a quick comment on each parody when everyone reads through the entries.  Lots of people already do it, and apparently they're the only ones who were leaving votes.  Before the votes were lost, there were some SOTM entries with only 6-8 votes even though 12-15 people had cast their contest votes.  I thought a quick "SOTM 555" (or whatever) just to let everybody know you really did read the song might be a good idea.  Any thoughts?

Also, the plan if people are still interested is to make up the January contest concurrent with the July contest (which will be held during August, starting really soon), and a Feb contest the following month (concurrent with the Aug. contest).  This is all, of course, assuming the site and messageboard are still operating--I keep meaning to add that disclaimer since I make all these plans and just take for granted that Chucky will keep everything running for us.  The guy's getting married in September; for all we know this place's days are numbered.  Just a thought.

Finally, a friendly reminder to those who haven't yet voted on the June contest:  the official deadline is midnight tonight (though as long as you get your votes in before I tally up they'll still count and you won't be penalized.)  Penalty is disqualification this month and next month, plus you look like a baby to all the people who spent their time carefully reading your entry; we'll all assume you didn't vote cause no one voted for you.  Wah wah baby.  There's still like eight people who haven't voted but of course there's still time so get it done please.

Subject: Re: SOTM stuff

Written By: Meriadoc on 07/31/04 at 3:37 pm

Claude! Good point about the comments and I concur. I have to admit to a bit of disappointment when I see someone has voted in SOTM, but has not put a comment on our song. I make it a point to comment on every entry before casting my final vote, even if it is only 'good one!'

I also make the utmost attempt to d'load every song that I don't know (easier on SOTM than on ABCs, as I have several weeks to do so), so I find DKTOS comments very frustrating. (Altho' Rick's entry stumped me this month! :( ) The d'loading can be very tedious, especially with newer songs, as many of the entries on KaZaa are thrashed and require as many as 6-10 attempts 'til I find a whole one (yeah, you hear that J.A.R. - do you know how many hours of my life you've stolen with those blasted Eminem parodies...? ::) ), but I do it, never-the-less.

Anyway, thanks for putting up this thread so I can whinge! ;)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 07/31/04 at 5:09 pm

Claude! Good point about the comments and I concur. I have to admit to a bit of disappointment when I see someone has voted in SOTM, but has not put a comment on our song. I make it a point to comment on every entry before casting my final vote, even if it is only 'good one!'

I also make the utmost attempt to d'load every song that I don't know (easier on SOTM than on ABCs, as I have several weeks to do so), so I find DKTOS comments very frustrating. (Altho' Rick's entry stumped me this month! :( ) The d'loading can be very tedious, especially with newer songs, as many of the entries on KaZaa are thrashed and require as many as 6-10 attempts 'til I find a whole one (yeah, you hear that J.A.R. - do you know how many hours of my life you've stolen with those blasted Eminem parodies...? ::) ), but I do it, never-the-less.

Anyway, thanks for putting up this thread so I can whinge! ;)

Hey no problem; whinge away.  I've always thought it was going above and beyond to go look for a download to vote on someone else's parody; I'm really impressed that you do that (although I always do it if they provide the link).  I just think there should be some evidence that we've all at least clicked on all the parodies; otherwise people have no way of knowing if most of the voters are even looking at their song.  My plan now is to put up the new entry thread and (following the ancient rule change procedure) have everyone vote on it as they enter.  Thanks for the input.

Written By: Rick D on 08/01/04 at 4:30 pm

I am always peeking at the site at work, but I can only do so in short sneaky bursts, which is why most of my commentary is short and mistyped. But Postal emplyees have always ruled my life, so I'm going to try to co-operate, Claude. I personally don't care for the generic cut and paste comments, so I'll try to say something nice or make a lame joke. As a gesture of comraderie, look for our next recording this week. (There's my excuse, I'm busy doing....recordings! Yeah, that's it!)

Written By: Rick D on 08/02/04 at 1:47 am

Speaking of which, Claude, I recommend that you go over to our soundclick site (or click from recordings) and take a listen to our recent entry.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/02/04 at 12:44 pm

Speaking of which, Claude, I recommend that you go over to our soundclick site (or click from recordings) and take a listen to our recent entry.

And so I did---HEY EVERYBODY CHECK THIS OUT!!  Thanks you guys; it's great.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/03/04 at 7:37 pm

(yeah, you hear that J.A.R. - do you know how many hours of my life you've stolen with those blasted Eminem parodies...? ::) )

Yes. Yes I do.

Check for new replies or respond here...