inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABCs Round N voting thread

Written By: EthanM on 08/01/04 at 9:11 pm

Vote by next sunday at 10pm eastern usa time

1. http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/electriclightorchestra7.shtml
2. http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/beatles146.shtml
3. http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles283.shtml
4. http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/offspring7.shtml
5. http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/dustyspringfield4.shtml
6. http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/thevillagepeople24.shtml
7. http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/sineadoconnor2.shtml
8. http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/disneyuncleremusfromsongofthesouth0.shtml
9. http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/50centfeatsnoopdogggunit0.shtml
10. http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/hermanshermits27.shtml
11. http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/nena3.shtml
12. http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/theatarisdonhenley0.shtml

problem fixed

Subject: Re: ABCs Round N voting thread

Written By: Rick D on 08/01/04 at 11:47 pm

Ethan, I think you have one in there twice. Makes up for not putting mine in for the "M's".

Written By: Armstrong on 08/02/04 at 12:40 am

yeah ethan... we can't get enough votes for one number... let alone spread it out over two. lol

Written By: adagio on 08/02/04 at 12:31 pm

Johnny's "Nip On These Hoo-Ha's"  http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/disneyuncleremusfromsongofthesouth0.shtml

Written By: jreuben on 08/02/04 at 1:09 pm

I'm going with Adagio on this one, #1

Honorable mention to ***

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/02/04 at 1:14 pm

#2 is silly fun :D

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/02/04 at 1:17 pm

I'm voting for Luke's brilliantly goofy, wacky, cheesy " Nacho Monn ":
6. http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/thevillagepeople24.shtml

Very honorable mention for both Adagio's "No Coffee Grounds" and also MooRocca's "New Year's Resolutions" !

Written By: Rick D on 08/02/04 at 9:30 pm

I loved Adagio's and Ethan's this month, but the Disney/naughty gets me every time. My vote for Johnny.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/disneyuncleremusfromsongofthesouth0.shtml

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/02/04 at 10:07 pm

Merry & Pippin, today you get full cream!

Honourable mention to Invincible's rap and Rick D's whimsical 3-ply parody.

Written By: The Invincible on 08/04/04 at 12:05 pm

I'm voting for #5.  It made me realize something. If you put enough big words into a sentence, even if they make no sense, it will sound smart.  Show this to a stupid person and watch them drive themselves crazy trying to figure it out.  Go on, try it! Kudos to you, Phil, on a most excellent work of art in the field of pseudo-intelligence.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/04/04 at 12:24 pm

This one was really, really hard.  I think my vote goes to Invincible for his 50 Cent/Snoop "N.E.R.D.".  I love Johnny's "Hoo-Hahs"...( ;D)...but I expect Johnny to take the purely prurient route.  Vinc edges just a bit more by making his narrator totally nerdish yet as urban as the original, and at the same time not merely repeating the "voice" Weird Al has in his "It's All About The Pentiums". Cheers to Vinc.

Written By: Joelle on 08/04/04 at 1:56 pm

#3...it made me laugh the hardest.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/04/04 at 9:29 pm

Woah, this is a close one!
From the nine votes so far:

Johnny- 2
Adagio- 1
Invincible-1
Luke- 1
MooRocca- 1
Merry&Pip- 1
Phil- 1
Rick D- 1
I'm on the edge of my seat in suspense!!! :D

Written By: adagio on 08/04/04 at 9:36 pm

It IS close!!

Written By: MooRocca on 08/05/04 at 12:19 am

#11, Mike Armstrong, "99 Great Cartoons."   

Written By: philbo on 08/05/04 at 3:25 pm

Completely torn between M&P and their odd tale of ET rustlers and The Invincible's N.E.R.D. - two songs that appeal in quite different ways.  I'm going for N.E.R.D. (#9), partly because I'm sure I've voted for M&P already, but mainly because I didn't know the original, but still really enjoyed the way it read.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/05/04 at 7:42 pm

#11, Mike Armstrong, "99 Great Cartoons."   

Ha! That's the 9th nominee out of 12 nomineeees! Will the final vote from Ethan make it 10?
(Then it'd be a tie re-vote that could go anyway due to the vast amount of swing votes!)
AH'VE FAWLEN AWF O' MA SEAT! :D

Written By: Meriadoc on 08/06/04 at 12:13 am

Ha! That's the 9th nominee out of 12 nomineeees! Will the final vote from Ethan make it 10?
(Then it'd be a tie re-vote that could go anyway due to the vast amount of swing votes!)
AH'VE FAWLEN AWF O' MA SEAT! :D

Yes, it shall.

#12 Noisy Drummer

Written By: Peregrin on 08/07/04 at 9:00 am

I like this one :

MooRocca's New Year's Resolutions  :)

2. http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/beatles146.shtml

Written By: EthanM on 08/08/04 at 1:55 pm

#11... but it seems that now all the great cartoons are on during the evening

Written By: Armstrong on 08/08/04 at 9:18 pm

yikes. after much deliberation... my vote is going to Nacho Monn. I agree with Johnny.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/08/04 at 9:42 pm

yikes. after much deliberation... my vote is going to Nacho Monn. I agree with Johnny.

To quote Will Ferrell's impression of Harry Carey, "You've made a wise choice, my friend" !!

;D

Written By: Armstrong on 08/08/04 at 10:09 pm

Oh good! I was afraid you'd choose mad cow!

Written By: The Invincible on 08/08/04 at 10:45 pm

Okay, wow. This is unbelievable, for two reasons.

1. we have a five-way tie for first
2. and I'm in it! ;D

I entered this contest to get my name out there (which I believe I've done), but I never expected to get this far. Thanks a lot.  This really motivates me to write even more. Good luck to you all on breaking this tie. And watch out for my entry to the letter P, because it will rock.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/08/04 at 11:05 pm

Oh good! I was afraid you'd choose mad cow!

Will Ferrell doing his "Harry Carey" impression on Saturday Night Live: "HAAA-AAY! What about this? If you had a choice between being the top scientist in your field or getting mad cow disease, what would it be?"

Written By: EthanM on 08/09/04 at 2:32 pm

it is a 5 way tie... and  i don't think the current tiebreaker system is good for 5 way ties (there will probably be another tie)  anyone have any ideas?

MooRocca, johnny d, the invincible, luke, and mike armstrong each have 2 votes

Written By: The Invincible on 08/09/04 at 2:49 pm

uh, maybe a poker tournament, winner takes all? I'll admit this is not a good idea, but I'm just trying to be productive.

Written By: Armstrong on 08/09/04 at 4:19 pm

mike and i play poker roughly 4 nights a week. =)

Written By: The Invincible on 08/09/04 at 7:30 pm

Or, maybe we could disregard the votes of the people involved in the five way tie, and only count everyone else's votes. Then we're left with a three way. Maybe then we could hold a tiebreaker according to previously set rules.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/11/04 at 1:13 am

#3...it made me laugh the hardest.

Is it just me or WAS JOELLE NOT IN THIS ROUND?!!!
...crap, it still leaves us with the same five finalists.

WEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLL.... let's think here.
Obviously the five finalists are more likely to have an appreciation for the better parodies.
(right? RIGHT.)
So let's see who THEY voted for:

MooRocca: Mike
Luke: M&P
The Invincible: Phil
Johnny D: Luke
Mike: Luke
WELL, THAT'S SURPRISING!!!!! *looks about for support*

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/11/04 at 10:22 am

What would happen if the 5 finalists were to vote for their favorite of the 5 not their own? ???

Written By: Armstrong on 08/11/04 at 5:16 pm

that sounds best to me

Written By: adagio on 08/11/04 at 6:30 pm

What would you be in favor of in breaking the tie, Ethan?

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/11/04 at 7:17 pm

Sounds good. I vote for The Invincible's N.E.R.D.

Written By: The Invincible on 08/11/04 at 8:08 pm

So the final five finalists vote again, same rules apply. Okay, I'll agree to that. As for my vote...
um, I'm gonna vote for Johnny.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/11/04 at 8:19 pm

I'm sticking with my vote for Luke's " Nacho Monn ".

Written By: EthanM on 08/11/04 at 8:21 pm

i guess we're going with a re-vote with the five finalists

Written By: The Invincible on 08/11/04 at 8:28 pm

Pardon me for sounding like a complete jerk, but I believe we've hit a snag in our little contest.  As the original post on this thread said, the deadline for all votes was 10PM eastern time on August 8, 2004. The final vote, cast by Mike, was at 10:18:49 PM.  Wouldn't that make his vote irrelevant to the contest and disqualify Luke from the tiebreaker? And on that note, Luke, please don't find out where I live and kill me in my sleep...

Written By: The Invincible on 08/11/04 at 8:32 pm

But of course, if the creator of the contest wants to bend the rules just this once, I'm in no place to disagree with him.  Dangit, I knew I was going to sound like a jerk.

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid......etc.

Written By: EthanM on 08/11/04 at 8:44 pm

this is getting really complicated but these deadlines are more like guidelines anyway the true deadline is when i post the results which is always after i say it is. Anyway we'll still go with the five finalists voting and i'll try to figure out what to do if that ends in a tie too

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/12/04 at 12:00 am

So the current votes stand as a little love triangle:
Luke- Invincible
Invincible- Johnny D
Johnny D-Luke

So once MooRocca and Mike vote we can finally start round 'O'!!

Written By: Armstrong on 08/12/04 at 11:40 am

it was 9:18 central time.... and my vote remains for nacho monn

Written By: MooRocca on 08/12/04 at 12:36 pm

Obviously, since I already voted for one of the four other finalists over the other three, my vote remains the same:  Mike Armstrong.  I haven't looked at how anyone else has voted, but I'll take a guess and give my congrats to Luke. 

I am a little confused as to why we didn't just have those who voted in this round, but did not vote for one of the finalists decide it.  Makes more sense since only two finalists had not already chosen one of the finalists over the others and this way starts Mike Armstrong and Luke out of the gate with more votes than The Invincible, Johnny D. and I. 

There is only one possible scenario where Luke does not either tie or win.  There is no scenario where anyone other than Mike or Luke wins. 

If both of the people who are actually voting in the tie-breaker vote for the same person who isn't either Mike or Luke, it's a tie between that person and Luke. 

If both vote for different people who aren't either Mike Armstrong or Luke, Luke wins. 

If both of them vote for Mike Armstrong, Mike Armstrong wins. 

If one of them casts a vote for Luke, Luke wins. 

If one of them votes for Mike Armstrong and the other votes for someone other than Mike Armstrong or Luke, it's a tie between Mike Armstrong and Luke.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/12/04 at 12:55 pm

Obviously, since I already voted for one of the four other finalists over the other three, my vote remains the same:  Mike Armstrong.  I haven't looked at how anyone else has voted, but I'll take a guess and give my congrats to Luke. 

I am a little confused as to why we didn't just have those who voted in this round, but did not vote for one of the finalists decide it.  Makes more sense since only two finalists had not already chosen one of the finalists over the others and this way starts Mike Armstrong and Luke out of the gate with more votes than The Invincible, Johnny D. and I.   

There is only one possible scenario where Luke does not either tie or win.  There is no scenario where anyone other than Mike or Luke wins. 

If both of the people who are actually voting in the tie-breaker vote for the same person who isn't either Mike or Luke, it's a tie between that person and Luke. 

If both vote for different people who aren't either Mike Armstrong or Luke, Luke wins. 

If both of them vote for Mike Armstrong, Mike Armstrong wins. 

If one of them casts a vote for Luke, Luke wins. 

If one of them votes for Mike Armstrong and the other votes for someone other than Mike Armstrong or Luke, it's a tie between Mike Armstrong and Luke.

"I am a little confused as to why we didn't just have those who voted in this round, but did not vote for one of the finalists decide it.  Makes more sense since only two finalists had not already chosen one of the finalists over the others and this way starts Mike Armstrong and Luke out of the gate with more votes than The Invincible, Johnny D. and I.
   "

Excellent point, MooRocca, and the rest of your analysis is very interesting, too. 

I think you've proven that the method we used to resolve the 5-way tie is corrupt and invalid.

I agree with you, now ..... We should have those who voted in this round, but did not vote for one of the finalists decide it.

Written By: jreuben on 08/12/04 at 3:21 pm

I'm one of the two people who didn't vote for the 5 in the tie for first.  If you want me to vote on one of those 5, let me know.  I'll withhold my vote until it's needed (if needed), so I don't taint the decision-making process by tipping my hand.

Written By: MooRocca on 08/12/04 at 4:57 pm

Excellent point, MooRocca, and the rest of your analysis is very interesting, too. 

If it was only unfair to me, I might have kept my mouth shut, but it's most unfair to The Invincible.  Since he can't vote for himself and he's one of the two whose vote counts in the tie-breaker, he's the only one of us who couldn't at least tie with Luke.

Written By: The Invincible on 08/12/04 at 5:09 pm

MooRocca's right. I didn't even realize that I didn't have a chance. If I did, I would have argued for a different method of tiebreaking. But no matter. At least everyone knows who I am and hopefully will read and review my other stuff. Of course I'll still be involved in these contests, and I will continue writing new parodies.

P.S.  If you don't feel like typing out The Invincible every time you address me, you can just use my real name, Anthony.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/12/04 at 5:09 pm

If it was only unfair to me, I might have kept my mouth shut, but it's most unfair to The Invincible.  Since he can't vote for himself and he's one of the two whose vote counts in the tie-breaker, he's the only one of us who couldn't at least tie with Luke.

MooRocca, you've explained and clarified the basic problem in the clearest and plainest of terms, thank you.

Ethan, perhaps you should consider taking MooRocca's advice on how to conclude this "N" round ... ?

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/12/04 at 5:13 pm

MooRocca's right. I didn't even realize that I didn't have a chance.

Speaking for myself, I do not want to have anything to do with a tie-breaker that prevents any of its participants from having a fair chance .... so I strongly suggest that, with Ethan's blessing, we re-run the tie-breaker according to MooRocca's fair and equitable plan.  :)

Written By: The Invincible on 08/12/04 at 5:21 pm

If we do employ this revamped plan to allow people who have voted who did not vote for one of the five finalists to change their vote, I took the liberty of updating the standings. They are as follows:

Johnny- 3 votes
Invincible- 3 votes
MooRocca- 2 votes
Armstrong- 2 votes
Luke- 2 votes

The following people are left to vote on one of the five finalists:
Jeff
Joelle
Merry

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/12/04 at 5:51 pm

Eep. I was just making a joke with my idea, which, as MooRocca pointed out, would have me the winner in almost every scenario, so I'm sorry for all the hubbub.

The new resolution is fine with me. :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/12/04 at 5:59 pm

If I need to be involved in voting again, please advise here.  I am so confused as to what's going on now! :o

Written By: The Invincible on 08/12/04 at 8:53 pm

I anticipated that some people would be confused by this new development, so I prepared this table. On the left are the people who voted in this round, and the right are the people they voted for.  Regarding people who changed their vote to assist in breaking the tie, their changed votes are in parentheses, as well as people receiving multiple votes (the number is in parentheses). Spaces with blanks in parentheses are indicative of people who still need to change their vote in order to break the tie.

Voter                         Who they voted for

Adagio                         Johnny
J. Reuben                         Adagio (_____)
Rice Cube                         MooRocca
Johnny                         Luke
Rick D                         Johnny (2)
Luke                         Merry & Pippin (Invincible)
Invincible                         Phil (Johnny (3))
Agrimorfee                         Invincible (2)
Joelle                         Rick D (_____)
MooRocca                         Armstrong
Phil                         Invincible (3)
Merry                         Ethan (_____)
Ethan                         Armstrong (2)
Pippin                         MooRocca (2)
Armstrong                         Luke (2)

Written By: The Invincible on 08/12/04 at 8:59 pm

With all this in mind, everything is in place for a re-tiebreaker. We're waiting for the go-ahead from you, Creator....

Written By: EthanM on 08/12/04 at 9:06 pm

i'm pretty confused with all of this too... i think having the 3 people who voted for a non-finalist is likely to result in a 3 way tie... so i don't know what to do 5 way ties were not what i was expecting

Written By: The Invincible on 08/12/04 at 9:09 pm

Okay fine. I'll tell you what. Why don't we just pull the name of one parody artist, chosen completely at random, out of a HAT containing the names of every writer on AmIRight and ask them to break this tie. Huh? Will that work?

Written By: EthanM on 08/12/04 at 9:41 pm

probably not since most people on the authors list don't use the messageboard but i was thinking about just picking someone to decide

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/12/04 at 9:53 pm

Let's just see how the final tally ends up. It will surely eliminate one or two finalists. Then we could use the 'SOTM' 3,2,1 voting scheme.

THEN we just say it's a FREAKIN' TIE for whoever remains!!! :D :D :D

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/12/04 at 10:16 pm

Let's just see how the final tally ends up. It will surely eliminate one or two finalists. Then we could use the 'SOTM' 3,2,1 voting scheme.

THEN we just say it's a FREAKIN' TIE for whoever remains!!! :D :D :D

I agree with Luke.  Let's go with MooRocca's plan as outlined by The Invincible's chart.  Then let's just deal with it from there.  :)

Written By: jreuben on 08/13/04 at 8:23 am

My vote (if it's needed, I'm so confused!) is for 99 Great Cartoons...Mike Armstrong.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/13/04 at 8:31 am

probably not since most people on the authors list don't use the messageboard but i was thinking about just picking someone to decide

hOW ABOUT cHUCKY!!??

Written By: Armstrong on 08/13/04 at 10:01 am

Let's see what Joelle and Merry do. This is working out fine.

Written By: Meriadoc on 08/13/04 at 5:34 pm

Well, I really liked Invincibles, but I couldn't get it to pace, no matter what I did.

So I am going to have to go with Luke's "Nacho Man" in this tiebreaker round. :)

Written By: The Invincible on 08/13/04 at 8:14 pm

Okay, this isn't working. With Merry's vote for Luke, we now have a 4-way tie (Me, Johnny, Luke, and Mike with 3 votes), and we're only waiting on Joelle's vote. We're back where we started. I for one am tired of this and want to continue to the next contest. I'm prepared to call this a draw. Are there any objections?

Written By: Armstrong on 08/14/04 at 1:16 pm

I agree. Let's call it a draw.

Written By: MysteryGoat on 08/14/04 at 9:00 pm

Dudes it's been a week now, just call it a draw.

Written By: Joelle on 08/15/04 at 11:55 am

Written By: MooRocca on 08/15/04 at 4:39 pm

Wow.  I was holding off on weighing in with the suggestion of keeping it a tie because I really thought Joelle's vote would be for one of you other four and we'd have a clear winner.  It would have been a pleasure losing to any one of you four and it's indeed an honor to be tied with each of you.  If everyone else is cool with it, now that we've given everyone who made it to the "finals" a fair shake at being declared the sole winner, I'm fine with keeping it a tie, too. 

Written By: EthanM on 08/15/04 at 8:05 pm

i guess it's a tie... no official winner but the 5 finalists can all say they sort of won

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/15/04 at 9:37 pm

And yet the rest of you are still complete losers. ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...