inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: July Song of the Month Voting Thread

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/08/04 at 9:42 am

First I want to thank everyone who entered, and everyone who voted on the new proposal.  It did pass, so we'll try it out.  To clarify, you must comment on every parody (assuming comments are enabled) entered before you post your votes.  Thoughtful comments are strongly encouraged, as are "regular" votes.  If you like receiving them, you should give them.  But some sort of comment to prove you at least clicked on every entry is required for your vote to count and to avoid disqualification.  If everyone hates it, feel free to propose changing it back next month.  Also, I liked Leo Jay's idea about formatting links like this; it looks pretty and will probably make things less confusing.  It's also a lot of work for one person, so I'm going to add a recommendation that people submit their links that way in the entry guidelines.  Thanks again and sorry for being such a richard-head about the voting/commenting thing.

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your three favorites in order: Top choice gets 3 points, next gets 2 points, third favorite gets 1 point.
~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.
~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.
~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.
~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.
~~Anyone who enters but does not vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.
~~Voters must leave a brief comment on every parody, indicating they've read it for the SOTM contest (something like, "SOTM--555" or whatever)

#1 Tony Soprano by Claude Prez

#2 Dance This Way by Adagio

#3 Cross-Eyed Girl by Jeff Reuben

#4 I've Deleted Files by Rick Duncan

#5 Your Bosses' Notes To Get Paid by Luke Brattoni

#6 American Pride by Johnny D

#7 Plunder The Sea by Ethan Mawyer

#8 Fifteen by B. O'Connor

#9 Godfatherzilla by Phil Nelson

#10 Pull Your Pants Up, Please by Arwen

#11 Letter B by Merry and Pippin
       Recording

#12 Blind Dates kind of Bite by Spaff.com
       Recording

#13 (These Are The Guidelines If You Want) A Threesome Of Numero 5 For A Song by Know 1 can hear you dream

#14 Soundtrack for McDonald's Burger King Merge by Agrimorfee

#15 White House Rock-n-Roll by mAximo

#16 Repeat Yourself by MooRocca
      Recording

#17 A-y-y-y, Bee, Sea (The TV Song) by Leo Jay

#18 Confessions Pt. 3 & 4 by BLO-TOWN

#19 Say No More Naughty Words by Phil Alexander

#20 The Boxer Shorts by Dee Range

#21 Enter Diva by Ahnonamis

Subject: Re: July Song of the Month Voting Thread

Written By: Ahnonamis on 08/08/04 at 9:14 pm

1)  #19
2) #9
3)#18

Written By: BLO-TOWN on 08/08/04 at 10:44 pm

1) #20
2) #13
3) #21

Written By: jreuben on 08/09/04 at 8:30 am

Just a thought, I don't think the point of Claude's comment proposal was to put a comment on all 21 July parodies that says "SOTM-I voted."  I'm not asking for a narrative for all of our songs, but don't waste Chucky's disk space with a comment that gives no feedback at all.

Written By: Leo Jay on 08/09/04 at 8:54 am

Just a thought, I don't think the point of Claude's comment proposal was to put a comment on all 21 July parodies that says "SOTM-I voted."  I'm not asking for a narrative for all of our songs, but don't waste Chucky's disk space with a comment that gives no feedback at all.

I think that was the point -- just to 'prove' that you actually went there and read the thing.

#6 American Pride by Johnny D
#20 The Boxer Shorts by Dee Range
#12 Blind Dates kind of Bite by Spaff.com

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/09/04 at 10:13 am

I have very little time to comment and place votes on every song, but mark my words, I do   look at every song in all contests that I am enrolled inl.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/09/04 at 12:25 pm

I think that was the point -- just to 'prove' that you actually went there and read the thing.

Yeah, Leo's right.  Of course it doesn't prove you read it, but the idea is to make it more difficult to get away with not reading it--I'm not saying I know for a fact people weren't reading, but my feeling is, if you can take a minute or so to read it, you can take a few more seconds and vote.  I hate sounding like I take votes too seriously, but they are supposed to represent another person's appreciation (or criticism) of your parody and as such do have value.  I'd prefer the rule be to require everyone to vote, with comments remaining optional, but there's no way to tell for sure who did or did not click the vote button.   The way BLO-TOWN commented was just fine.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/09/04 at 12:30 pm

I have very little time to comment and place votes on every song, but mark my words, I do   look at every song in all contests that I am enrolled inl.

I don't doubt you do, but I'm afraid as long as the rule exists (I hope it's temporary) it has to be enforced equally so please at least leave some comment -- even if it's "Claude is a douchebag" -- on every entry.  Thank you.

Written By: Leo Jay on 08/09/04 at 1:13 pm

I'd prefer the rule be to require everyone to vote, with comments remaining optional, but there's no way to tell for sure who did or did not click the vote button.

Anyway, if I don't know the original pretty well -- or at all -- (e.g., most contemporary pop), I know that a full appreciation of the cleverness of the parody might escape me, so I prefer not to vote in those instances -- particularly if someone's got a 5-5-5 going. 

If a submission is less a 'parody' in the true sense than simply a 'to the tune of...' you can judge the humor in the lyric on its face.  But if a piece is really 'parodying' the original in the true sense, sometimes it can be harder to see the humor (or judge the pacing for that matter) if you don't know the original pretty well.

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/09/04 at 6:21 pm

Heyall, this was a very, very difficult round...I really ripped on a few of these and I hope no one takes it personally, it's all supposed to be in good fun, right? ;)  All Comments that I said "Good stuff, Maynard" were kind words for parodies that read interestingly to me, but didn't "knock my socks off" in some way...I though it was better than just writing "I Voted" (how blah :P).

Here's my vote:
3 PTS=#12 Blind Dates kind of Bite by Spaff.com (for laughs. As always)

2 PTS=#6 American Pride by Johnny D (for research and surprisingly not including innuendo of any sort!

1 PT=#5 Your Bosses' Notes To Get Paid by Luke Brattoni (for creativity, and huge huevos for attempting to follow a terribly complex ska tempo for a song that maybe 60% of amiright readers have probably not even heard!)

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/09/04 at 7:32 pm

3 points for: #1 Tony Soprano by Claude Prez

For pacing, rhyme, brilliant scene-setting and character-development!

2 points for: #11 Letter B by Merry and Pippin

For brilliantly squeezing every drop of vocabularial creativity out of the letter B, and
making it all work with excellent pacing and with amazing rhyming-to-the-original-words!

1 point for:  #12 Blind Dates kind of Bite by Spaff.com

"They suck like a douche that's made of vinegar and Sprite"
"Some no-bath polymath telepathic psychopath"
"Then the cutest absolutist and the Buddhist nudist flutist"
"They suck like a douche that's made of rum and Miller Lite"

....and many more incredible lines like those.... Spaff.com is a genius.

Written By: adagio on 08/10/04 at 5:55 pm

My votes:
  3 points for #13 by Know 1 can hear you dream

2 points for #11 by Merry and Pippin

1 point for    #6 by Johnny D

Written By: Rick D on 08/10/04 at 10:25 pm

3 points Jeff for ""Cross Eyed Girl"

2 for Adagio, "Dance This Way"

1 for Spaff "Blind Dates"

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/10/04 at 10:54 pm

This has been one of the most enjoyable rounds to vote on: so many well written parodies of all sorts, everyone should give themselves a pat on the back.
But particularly:
#19. Phil Alexander and his Completely Really Utterly Definitely Especially well done parody. 3 PTS
#11. Merry & Pippin's Bloody Brilliant Bit of Babbling. 2 PTS
#12. Spaff's Wacky, Wild, Well Written... Why am I still using alliteration? 1 PT

Written By: Arwen on 08/11/04 at 12:37 am

I don't think I can play this game next month... :(...it is harder than I thought it'd be...

But...for just this once...here are my votes...

3 points for Jeff's FABULOUS "Cross Eyed Girl"

2 points for my 2 favorite Hobbits' "Letter B"

And 1 point for Spaff's "Blind Dates..."

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/12/04 at 12:23 am

Due to some feedback regarding a 'progressive tally' possibly swaying people's votes or simply 'ruining the surprise', I will no longer flaunt my statistician genetics. Sorry to anyone who found the 'progressive tally' a nuisance.  :-[

Written By: philnelson on 08/12/04 at 3:16 pm

3 points- #3 Cross-Eyed Girl by Jeff Reuben
2 points- #12 Blind Dates kind of Bite by Spaff.com
1 point- #17 A-y-y-y, Bee, Sea (The TV Song) by Leo Jay

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/14/04 at 9:06 pm

Has everyone else voted?  It doesn't look like it.....

Yeah, too bad no one keeps a running tally of votes or anything  ;).   Seriously, voting continues until the end of the month to give everybody plenty of time.

Written By: K1chyd on 08/15/04 at 2:27 am

Eeny, meeny, miny, moe... just kidding! ;-)

3 Points to "Blind Dates kind of Bite" by Spaff.com

2 Points to "Pull Your Pants Up, Please" by Arwen

1 Point to "Tony Soprano" by Claude Prez

And I´ll have to say that having to cut some other 555s from this short list wasn´t easy.

Written By: MooRocca on 08/16/04 at 12:24 pm

The concurrent January and July (classic version) SOTM contests are definitely the best yet!  It was painful to eliminate some of the entries from my top three in both contests, with more than three standing out as top notch work in each of the two competitions... and then came the difficult task of ranking them.     

3 pts. to Johnny D. Monic
2 pts. to The Spaff Factory
1 pt. to Adagio of the seven veils 

Written By: deerange on 08/20/04 at 6:26 am

#1  Blind Dates Kind Of Bite
#2  Cross Eyed Girl
#3  American Pride

I used to think I was fairly good at this, until I read all the great entries here. I believe I'll root from the sidelines next month. :)

Written By: philbo on 08/20/04 at 8:14 am

This was an incredibly good month, but IMO there is only one possible winner: I didn't vote for him on principle last month as Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious parodies are a bit like shooting fish in a barrel, but Spaff's "Blind Dates kind of Bite" is technically awesome, and about as good as parody gets, IMO.

2 points to #3 - Cross Eyed Girl by JR

and third place is damn near impossible to choose.  I apologise to all the other entries for using a random number generator to pick my third spot:

1 point to #6 - American Pride by JD

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/24/04 at 11:35 pm

I love love love reading through the submissions for these monthly contests. Truly the cream of the crap. Heh heh.

3 points: #3, "Cross-Eyed Girl"
2 points: #1, "Tony Soprano"
1 point: #20, "The Boxer Shorts"

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: Meriadoc on 08/25/04 at 9:12 pm

Whew! Is it just me, or did it take everyone else ca. 3 1/2 hours to read, vote, comment, and choose between these, not counting earlier downloads of DKTOS's.... ? ???

Anyway:

#4 Rick's "I've Deleted Files - 3 pts.

#17 Leo's "Aay Bee Cees" - 2 pts.

#20 Dee's "Boxer Shorts" - 1 pt.

Written By: PRobinson on 08/25/04 at 9:59 pm

I love love love reading through the submissions for these monthly contests. Truly the cream of the crap. Heh heh.

3 points: #3, "Cross-Eyed Girl"
2 points: #2, "Tony Soprano"  **
1 point: #20, "The Boxer Shorts"

xoxox
Spaff

Spaff-man, I probably shouldn't stick my nose in since I'm not in this contest but your 2nd place vote does not align with Claude's voting list; ** #2 is Adagio's piece, while the "Tony Soprano" parody was done by the Claude-ster (entry #1 in your score-card) himself (Yes, I was curious and wanted to see whose stuff was winning and by how much but I'm not telling that).   Sorry, Pat...

Paul R.

Written By: Spaff.com on 08/26/04 at 9:52 am

Spaff-man, I probably shouldn't stick my nose in since I'm not in this contest but your 2nd place vote does not align with Claude's voting list; ** #2 is Adagio's piece, while the "Tony Soprano" parody was done by the Claude-ster (entry #1 in your score-card) himself 

Sorry, Paul. Ever since my extra nipple was removed, I've had trouble counting to three. It should be fixed now. (The vote, not the nipple.)

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: PRobinson on 08/27/04 at 1:32 am

Sorry, Paul. Ever since my extra nipple was removed, I've had trouble counting to three. It should be fixed now. (The vote, not the nipple.)

xoxox
Spaff

Well, then it's a perfectly understandable error, then, sir...BTW, what did you do with it after you had it removed?  You know, since I stuck my nose in this my allergies really starting kicking up...do you suppose it's just a coincidence?   Boy, I sure gotta lotta questions tonight...

pr

Written By: adagio on 08/27/04 at 9:09 am

Spaff-man, I probably shouldn't stick my nose in since I'm not in this contest but your 2nd place vote does not align with Claude's voting list; ** #2 is Adagio's piece, while the "Tony Soprano" parody was done by the Claude-ster (entry #1 in your score-card) himself (Yes, I was curious and wanted to see whose stuff was winning and by how much but I'm not telling that).   Sorry, Pat...

Paul R.

Paul, you owe me one now...j/k  ;)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/27/04 at 9:43 pm

3 points to #12 (Spaff)
2 points to #3 (Jeff Reuben)
1 point to #13 (k1chyd)

As always, extremely difficult to choose; maybe we should be picking five or something (I know-- where will it end?  "Let's just let *everybody* win!  Tralala!")  Anyway, another excellent month; you guys rock.

Written By: PRobinson on 08/28/04 at 12:50 am

3 points to #12 (Spaff)
2 points to #3 (Jeff Reuben)
1 point to #13 (k1chyd)

As always, extremely difficult to choose; maybe we should be picking five or something (I know-- where will it end?  "Let's just let *everybody* win!  Tralala!")  Anyway, another excellent month; you guys rock.

Claude, think of how good everybody's "Self-Esteem" would be!!!  Tralala, indeed!

pr

Written By: Peregrin on 08/30/04 at 7:43 am

3 points : #1 Tony Soprano by Claude Prez

2 points : #20 The Boxer Shorts by Dee Range

1 point : #13 (These Are The Guidelines If You Want) A Threesome Of Numero 5 For A Song by Know 1 can hear you dream

Written By: jreuben on 08/30/04 at 8:11 pm

3 pts:  #17 (Leo Jay)
2 pts:  #12 (Spaff)
1 pt:  #10 (Arwen)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 09/01/04 at 7:36 pm

First Place:  "Blind Dates Kind Of Bite" by Spaff.com (26 points).

Second Place:  "Cross-Eyed Girl" by Jeff Reuben (18 points).

Third Place:  "American Pride" by Johnny D (11 points).

Other points awarded:

Dee Range  9
Claude Prez  9
Merry and Pippin  8
K1chyd  7
Phil Alexander  6
Leo Jay  6
Adagio  3
Arwen  3
Rick D  3
Phil Nelson  2
Luke Brattoni  1
BLO-TOWN  1
Ahnonamis  1

Did not vote and therefore ineligible next month:  Ethan Mawyer, Brit, maXimo.

Congratulations to Spaff, Jeff, and Johnny.  Well done, all.

Written By: jreuben on 09/01/04 at 8:24 pm

No shame in finishing second to Spaff...congratulations on another excellent song!

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/01/04 at 8:44 pm

Congrats to Spaff, Jeff and Johnny D! ;D :D ;D :D ;D :D

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/02/04 at 12:33 am

Thank you, Claude and Luke!

My heartiest congratulations to my friends and colleagues Spaff.com & Jeff Reuben!

I am very grateful to everybody who voted for "American Pride" and helped me win my first-ever
AMIRIGHT SOTM MEDAL !  Thank you all !  ;D

I know that I come here to Amiright --- as I'm sure many of us do --- to find entertainment, humor, diversion, and lots of laughs with friends and colleagues. 

Serious parodies like "American Pride" that are not intended to be humorous or laugh-producing sometimes have a tough time finding their audience here on Amiright, because so many of us come here to have fun and forget about "serious" stuff for a while --- I know I do!! 

So, I am profoundly grateful to all of you contest-voters who decided that although "American Pride" is not a hilarious laugh-generating parody, its essence is still worthy of recognition and appreciation.  My thanks and my love go out to each and every one of you.  Peace.

Johnny D

Written By: philbo on 09/02/04 at 4:34 am

No shame in finishing second to Spaff...congratulations on another excellent song!

ISTM that that's where the race is going to be for August, too... But these two parodies are, IMO, the best that Spaff has turned out, so it ain't really that surprising.  The worrying trend is that it looks like he's getting better ;)

Congrats you three: well-deserved all of you, and well done everyone else 'cause there were a host of goodies for July.

Written By: MooRocca on 09/02/04 at 7:46 am

Congrats  Spaff, Jeff and Johnny D!

Written By: jreuben on 09/02/04 at 8:27 am

Johnny, you would have had gold if that dude hadn't tackled you in the 23rd mile!

Written By: Spaff.com on 09/08/04 at 10:56 pm

No shame in finishing second to Spaff...

...just the risk of contagious viral diseases.

Congrats to you and Johnny Dangle, and thanks to those of you who voted the way I paid you to do.

xoxox
Spaff

Check for new replies or respond here...