inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABC Round "Q" Entry Thread

Written By: PRobinson on 08/23/04 at 8:42 am

OK, as temporary "Contest Czar" for the "Q" round I hereby decree:  As of this moment on 08/23/2004,  entries for this round are now being accepted in this thread and will be accepted through Sunday, 08/29/2004, with a grace period that will last until I wake up the following morning and put a "Q Entries are now closed" post up on this thread.  I hope this is an acceptable condition.  I figure that posting it up front makes it a reasonable and fair criteria since everyone will be working under the same assumptions.  Voting for the "Q" round will close on Sunday night, 09/05/2004, and since I don't plan on sitting by my computer at midnight that evening I'm making the same grace period available for voting posts in this round as for entry posts:  So the voting for "Q" will be officially closed when I get up Monday morning, 09/06/2004.  I will post a note on this thread to so signify. 

Now,  the rest of the rules...I'm gonna go look up what they are for the "Letter" contests and bring them over here in a few moments...

SPOOL of RULES:  (Yes, this repeats much of what I said above, but it might be easier to digest in this format.)

"Q" entries may be posted from now (Monday, 08/23/2004) through Sunday night, 08/29/2004.  As a temporary rule for this round there will be a Grace period for entry postings until some time Monday morning, when I will post a note officially closing the entries.  As an "FYI" I would estimate that I would make that posting around 9 am, Pacific Time, but I make no guarantees that it will not be somewhat later (or earlier). 

You can't vote for your own entry.

If you enter, but don't vote, you MAY be subject to a penalty.  I need to check further on this because I haven't been participating in these contests lately and I recall the original rules on this were modified at some point.  I'll modify this note later today after I clarify this issue. ****

"Q" Round voting will "Officially" close as of midnight on Sunday, 09/05/2004.  A grace period will exist for these votes until I officially post a note closing the voting on Monday morning, 09/06/2004. 

I plan to tabulate the "Q" round votes and post the results by Tuesday, 09/07/2004. 

Participants are strongly encouraged to read, comment and vote on each parody entered.   We all know how much it sucks to have your stuff ignored or dismissed without a fair reading.  Those of us who have "Proscrastination" issues (like, for instance, ME) should probably try to do some of the reviewing and grading at some time BEFORE late Sunday night, even if that's how you've always handled deadlines (God, give me a little power and I just go crazy...Rules, Rules, Rules...NAG, NAG, NAG...).

In the event of a Tie the Prize Money ($0) will be divided equally between the tied participants.  Laurel wreaths will be cut into proportionate sections (1/2 each for a two-way tie, 1/3 each for a three-way tie, etc.).

Now, go to your corners and at the Bell I want you to come out Writing.

Thanks,

Paul R.

**** Modification, 08/26/2004 - Entrants must at the VERY LEAST post a choice in the VOTING THREAD or they will be Disqualified and suspended from the next round.   RATING & COMMENTING on each individual parody is encouraged as a show of respect to the other authors.

Subject: Re: ABC Round "Q" Entry Thread

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/23/04 at 9:50 am

"Qu*m the Frisky Ho"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/bobdylan23.shtml

Written By: agrimorfee on 08/23/04 at 12:09 pm

Damn! I don't have a Q song (at least not yet). People, jump in here and let's tally this quandary--maybe Johnny can win via default? :D

Written By: Rick D on 08/23/04 at 2:15 pm

I have two "Q"'s. Can't let Johnny have all the fun  I'll go with this one

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/stephanfoster0.shtml

Written By: philbo on 08/23/04 at 3:30 pm

I have two Qs, too - either a very old vintage Quake (to Irene Cara's "Fame"), or the one I'm going to enter, my Harry Potter polemic:

Quiddich is Stupid to "We Are The Champions" by Queen

Written By: Claude_Prez on 08/23/04 at 8:54 pm

Not exactly my fave, but it is my only Q (plus it has one rhyme I really like):

Queer Eye (You Dork, You Dork)

Written By: PRobinson on 08/24/04 at 10:06 am

OK, two points here: (1)  I checked on the "Penalty" issue and it appears that Ethan rescinded the automatic penalty for failing to vote/comment on a round in which you are entered.  I made a long-winded suggestion to just go to the "Honor" system in order to simplify the contest and remove enforcement tasks from the plate of whoever is gracious or careless enough to volunteer to run this lyrical cattle drive.

(2) I can't find anything about it but I seem to recall that for this contest if someone did NOT have a parody with that letter they could still write a NEW parody during the entry submission period and use that.  Does anyone know if this is the case?  It so happens I decided to write a "Q" parody  today and I'd like to toss it into the mix to see if anyone likes it.  Well, either way I'm going to submit it to the regular site today.

Thanks,

Paul R

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/24/04 at 11:35 am

OK, two points here: (1)  I checked on the "Penalty" issue and it appears that Ethan rescinded the automatic penalty for failing to vote/comment on a round in which you are entered.  I made a long-winded suggestion to just go to the "Honor" system in order to simplify the contest and remove enforcement tasks from the plate of whoever is gracious or careless enough to volunteer to run this lyrical cattle drive.

(2) I can't find anything about it but I seem to recall that for this contest if someone did NOT have a parody with that letter they could still write a NEW parody during the entry submission period and use that.  Does anyone know if this is the case?  It so happens I decided to write a "Q" parody  today and I'd like to toss it into the mix to see if anyone likes it.  Well, either way I'm going to submit it to the regular site today.

Thanks,

Paul R

(1) Paul, I believe that the requirement to vote and/or comment directly on the actual parodies themselves was removed, but I think every contestant is still required to post their contest-vote on the contest's voting-thread here on the messageboard.  Is that right?  IMHO, that's the way it should be ..... I'm against requiring the contest-manager to "police" the comments on every entered parody, but I am in favor of people being barred from at least the next subsequent round if they can't be bothered to post a vote on the voting-thread.  I mean, can't we all be expected to take a few seconds out of 7 days x 24 hours/day = 168 hours to post a vote on a contest's messageboard voting-thread?

(2) Yes, I believe that anybody can write and post a parody whose title begins with a contest-round's letter during the submission-week and get it into the contest, so long as it posts no later than sometime during the submission week.

JD

Written By: PRobinson on 08/24/04 at 4:57 pm

(1) Paul, I believe that the requirement to vote and/or comment directly on the actual parodies themselves was removed, but I think every contestant is still required to post their contest-vote on the contest's voting-thread here on the messageboard.  Is that right?  IMHO, that's the way it should be ..... I'm against requiring the contest-manager to "police" the comments on every entered parody, but I am in favor of people being barred from at least the next subsequent round if they can't be bothered to post a vote on the voting-thread.  I mean, can't we all be expected to take a few seconds out of 7 days x 24 hours/day = 168 hours to post a vote on a contest's messageboard voting-thread?

(2) Yes, I believe that anybody can write and post a parody whose title begins with a contest-round's letter during the submission-week and get it into the contest, so long as it posts no later than sometime during the submission week.

JD

(1)  Agree, and everyone should be able to do that with no problem.  I remember when I dropped out before that there were something like 30 -35 parodies and I was trying to read/vote and in many cases download an .mp3 or go to "soundclick" (which does not work well on my PC, by the way, the songs play in 8-10 intervals, stop for a bit and then continue) and make significant comments for them and about half-way through the fun was just about all gone and I felt like a school teacher grading papers.  And of course I was in the OTHER contest at the same time, too.  Of course part of the problem was my proclivity toward long, windy comments, like this one, for example.  So I will read and comment on each one now.  But I don't know how much "downloading/listening" I'm prepared to do.  And, of course,  post a selection in the voting thread.

(2) That's exactly what I thought the rule was, but I just couldn't remember for sure.  Thanks.

pr

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/24/04 at 5:23 pm

(1)  ..........and I felt like a school teacher grading papers............

Oh man, Paul, that one clause had me laughing out loud for real!

Written By: PRobinson on 08/25/04 at 1:38 am

Oh man, Paul, that one clause had me laughing out loud for real!

JD - It IS funny, but, for real - I remember the last contest I was in before I took a "hiatus" had 32 entries (I counted) and so I copied them all to a word doc and printed them out (so much paper, OY!!).  THEN - I read and when I had a DKTOS if there was an audio file I went there.  And it was OK and fun for a few hours...and then the thrill was starting to be gone and it was work.  Not fair to the last half of the entries, either, having a sour, tired, grumpy old fart trying to decide if your stuff is well done and funny.  So now I decided giving the DKTOS contingent a fair read will have to be enough, and I realize my stuff will fall into that category for some folks as well.  And that's quite cool with me.

pr

Written By: PRobinson on 08/25/04 at 11:45 am

OK, so here's my "Q" entry:  "Quicksand On My Shoulders", based on John Denver's "Sunshine On My Shoulders"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/johndenver34.shtml

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/26/04 at 1:40 am

See the 'J' entry round for the inspiration of, I do believe, the first 'Wiggles' parody of the site:
Quote Quote Bugger Bugger Quick Exam
Toot Toot Chugga Chugga Big Red Car
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/thewiggles0.shtml

Note that the I covered the 'Q' for the title 'Big Red Car'.

Written By: The Invincible on 08/28/04 at 9:41 am

well, I neither have a Q nor an R entry (well, actually I do, but I won't enter it because it sucks), so I'm not busy this week. If no one objects, I would like to take responsibility for the "R" round.

Written By: PRobinson on 08/28/04 at 7:47 pm

well, I neither have a Q nor an R entry (well, actually I do, but I won't enter it because it sucks), so I'm not busy this week. If no one objects, I would like to take responsibility for the "R" round.

Thank you, "Invincible".  It IS a big load to carry any particular contest ALL the time, and I now have a fuller appreciation for what Ethan was doing and also what Claude does on the SOTM side.  But to just do "one letter/one week"  it is not all that impossible.   You've taken on "R" and we don't have that many more to finish the alphabet (and I guess, parodies that starts with numerical characters after the letters are done).   

pr

Written By: PRobinson on 08/30/04 at 10:17 am

OK, here we are on Monday, 08/30/2004 at 8:16 am.  I now declare the ABC Round "Q" entry box to be closed.  No further entries for "Q" will be accepted after this note in posted.

Paul R.

Check for new replies or respond here...