inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABC Round "Q" voting thread

Written By: PRobinson on 08/30/04 at 10:43 am

The ABC’s Round “Q” voting thread is now open (08/30/2004, 8:20 am, Pacific Time).

SPOOL of RULES:

VOTING DEADLINE:  Voting for the "Q" round will close on Sunday night, 09/05/2004, but a grace period will be available for posting votes until I post a note on Monday morning, 09/06/2004 signifying that the voting for Round “Q” is officially closed.   

You can't vote for your own entry.

If you enter, but fail to make a selection in the “Q” round voting thread before the voting deadline you WILL be subject to a penalty.   The term “Vote” in the context of this contest means making a choice of which parody you believe is the best in this round and entering it in this Official Voting Thread prior to the Voting Deadline. 

PENALTY ASSESSMENTS:   (1) Disqualification from contention in this round. (2) Ineligibility for the NEXT "ABC" Contest Round.

NOTE: (CHECK IF WE ARE DOING THIS OR NOT)  Participants must read and make a comment on each entry.  Signify that you have read a parody by making an entry into the “Comment Thread” and posting “(ABC)” within that comment.  When able to entrants should attempt to evaluate and submit “Pace/Funny/Overall” ratings for each parody entered.  In the event you do not know the original song enter “DKTOS”. If you wish you may still submit a rating assessment for that parody,  that is up to you.  Downloading of audio files made available is NOT mandatory, but would surely be appreciated by the author if you are able to.

VOTING TABULATION & POSTING OF RESULTS: 

I plan to tabulate the "Q" round votes and post the results by Tuesday, 09/07/2004.

MISCELLANEOUS:

TIES: 1st Place ties will be handled in the same manner as they have been in the earlier rounds of the “ABC” contests.  At the moment I am not sure what that is(was).  I will come back to this and make a modification to this item later today to clarify this issue.

Thanks,

Paul Robinson

The Entries:

#1. Johnny D: "Qu*m The Frisky Ho"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/bobdylan23.shtml

#2. Rick Duncan “Q-Tip, Ear Cleaner”   

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/stephanfoster0.shtml

#3. Phil Alexander:  "Quiddich is Stupid"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/queen84.shtml

#4. Claude Prez:  “Queer Eye (You Dork, You Dork)"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/franksinatra14.shtml

#5. Paul Robinson:  “Quicksand on my Shoulders”

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/johndenver34.shtml

#6. Luke Brattoni:  "(Quote Quote Bugger Bugger )Quick Exam "

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/thewiggles0.shtml

Subject: Re: ABC Round "Q" voting thread

Written By: Rick D on 08/30/04 at 9:21 pm

Since this was the shortest contest, it is the easiest to vote on.

#1. Johnny D: "Qu*m The Frisky Ho"

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 08/31/04 at 12:37 am

Seconded. JD really went out on a l*mb here, it's quite int*midating having h*m in competition.  ;)

Written By: PRobinson on 08/31/04 at 6:24 am

Seconded. JD really went out on a l*mb here, it's quite int*midating having h*m in competition.  ;)

Luke,  just to clarify, it looks like your vote here is for #1, Johnny D's "Qu*m The Frisky Ho"?  Not to be too picky, but you need to match the voting entry number up so that it's easier to tabulate the votes.  Wouldn't make a whole lot of difference here, because there are only 6 entries, but in the other letters it can get confusing.

Anyway, please go ahead and enter that # so I know that's your "official" selection.

Thanks. 

Paul R

Written By: PRobinson on 08/31/04 at 6:27 am

Well, even with a "short field" it wasn't that easy.  I'm going with:

#2. Rick Duncan's  "Q-Tip, Ear Cleaner"

by just a half an ear-hair over JD's Quivering Qu*m job.

Written By: Johnny_D on 08/31/04 at 7:30 am

My vote goes to:

#3. Phil Alexander:  "Quiddich is Stupid"

Written By: philbo on 08/31/04 at 8:42 am

Since this was the shortest contest, it is the easiest to vote on.

No it isn't... I thought on reading JD's that I was going to end up voting for that; then when I read yours I thought it just about pipped JD's... then Claude's was every bit as good.. as were Paul's and Luke's.  I'm very tempted to run my randomizer again, but that wouldn't be fair.  I'll vote when I've looked through them all again.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 08/31/04 at 12:57 pm

I must vote for #3.  Quidditch is pretty lame.

Written By: PRobinson on 08/31/04 at 4:37 pm

Hmmm...as the "Q" round "Contest Czar" I now find myself in the position of apparently not knowing what I'm doing.  My understanding of these contests was that only those making an entry into a particular round could vote in the "Official Thread".  Now it looks like I might not have understood how it works.  I was assuming there would only be 6 votes here since there were 6 entries.  Was this an incorrect assumption?  HELP!

Written By: The Invincible on 08/31/04 at 5:35 pm

According to the rule laid down by Ethan in round D, anyone who submitted a parody in a previous round is eligible to vote in the current round, though for them it is optional.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/01/04 at 12:48 am

Written By: philbo on 09/01/04 at 9:16 am

Just re-read them all, and I'm going for just plain laughs with JD's mighty Qu*m, #1

IMO this round has been the hardest to decide, as there wasn't a single outstanding must-vote entry (not that there often are), but I really, REALLY, didn't want to have to make a choice.  Sorry to the rest of you :(

Written By: DoRitos on 09/02/04 at 7:59 am

I know I'm too late to enter this.  I didn't enter because I didn't think I had anything that started with "Q" but I found this one that I wrote back in early July 2003 when Saddam's sons were killed by coalition forces in Iraq.  You may remember the graphic video they showed on TV at the time, of their bodies.  Since there isn't a lot of "Q" entries I'd just like to share this one with you all one more time, if you all would so kindly oblige me.

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/hermanshermits15.shtml

Written By: Claude_Prez on 09/03/04 at 10:36 pm

I know my vote is superfluous at this point but I have to give the nod to #5 (Quicksand On My Shoulders).  Great title; lots of great lines.  Very funny stuff.

Written By: PRobinson on 09/04/04 at 1:21 pm

According to the rule laid down by Ethan in round D, anyone who submitted a parody in a previous round is eligible to vote in the current round, though for them it is optional.

"Invincible" - Thanks for clarifying that, so those votes will count.  Glad SOMEONE knew the rules for this.  That makes sense, anyway...

pr

Written By: PRobinson on 09/05/04 at 5:16 am

Well, it's early Sunday morning and all six of the entrants for the "Q" have voted in this thread.  So all the REQUIRED votes are in (+ 1 from an eligible "P" round entrant who did not have a "Q" round entry).  Unless more eligible "P" entrants without "Q" entries vote it looks like all that's left to do is to total up the votes.  Voting closes Monday morning, (09/06/04) when I signify the vote thread is closed...

Thanks you all for your cooperation.  This was a short field, but a good, solid round nonetheless...

pr

Written By: PRobinson on 09/06/04 at 4:58 am

Well, since I'm awake and on the site I might as well close the voting thread here for the "ABC Round 'Q' Contest"   Time is 2:34 am, Pacific Time on Monday, 09/06/2004.

All six entrants in the "Q" round have posted votes in this thread in accordance with the Posted rules so there will be no disqualifications or sanctions to be carried forward from here.  There was also one additional vote posted from an eligible "P" round entrant who did not have an entry in the "Q" contest.  So a total of seven (7) votes were cast in this round.  The results:

#1  "Qu*m the Frisky Ho" by Johnny D:     3 Votes ****

#3  "Quiddich is Stupid" by Phil Alexander: 2 votes

#2  "Q-Tip, Ear Cleaner" by Rick D:           1 vote

#5  "Quicksand on my Shoulders" by Paul Robinson
                                                          1 vote

So,  after careful and pain-staking tabulation, calculation, scrutiny and review the Official Winner of the amiright.com ABC Round 'Q' Letter Parody Contest is:  JOHNNY D, with his Frisky, frothy fun parody of Bob Dylan's original number, "Quinn The Eskimo"!!!  CONGRATULATIONS, JD!!!  Once again the 'cream' rises and goes over the top, drenching us all in laughter, merriment and mirth.  I'd also like to offer my congratulations to the other 5 contestants (including myself) for making this short-entried round fun and entertaining with their entries and comments.   While you did not take home any awards, medals, perks or top prizes you all will receive a copy of the "Home Version" of "amiright.com ABC Parody Letter Contests" so you can work at sharpening your skills in anticipation of the next and further rounds still to come...

pr

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/06/04 at 4:29 pm

Well, since I'm awake and on the site I might as well close the voting thread here for the "ABC Round 'Q' Contest"   Time is 2:34 am, Pacific Time on Monday, 09/06/2004.

All six entrants in the "Q" round have posted votes in this thread in accordance with the Posted rules so there will be no disqualifications or sanctions to be carried forward from here.  There was also one additional vote posted from an eligible "P" round entrant who did not have an entry in the "Q" contest.  So a total of seven (7) votes were cast in this round.  The results:

#1  "Qu*m the Frisky Ho" by Johnny D:     3 Votes ****

#3  "Quiddich is Stupid" by Phil Alexander: 2 votes

#2  "Q-Tip, Ear Cleaner" by Rick D:           1 vote

#5  "Quicksand on my Shoulders" by Paul Robinson
                                                          1 vote

So,  after careful and pain-staking tabulation, calculation, scrutiny and review the Official Winner of the amiright.com ABC Round 'Q' Letter Parody Contest is:  JOHNNY D, with his Frisky, frothy fun parody of Bob Dylan's original number, "Quinn The Eskimo"!!!  CONGRATULATIONS, JD!!!  Once again the 'cream' rises and goes over the top, drenching us all in laughter, merriment and mirth.  I'd also like to offer my congratulations to the other 5 contestants (including myself) for making this short-entried round fun and entertaining with their entries and comments.   While you did not take home any awards, medals, perks or top prizes you all will receive a copy of the "Home Version" of "amiright.com ABC Parody Letter Contests" so you can work at sharpening your skills in anticipation of the next and further rounds still to come...

pr

Gee, I'm pleasantly surprised that a randy and silly little ditty like Qu*m The Frisky Ho would even have had a chance of winning.  Thanks very much, everybody.  ;D

Written By: philbo on 09/06/04 at 6:20 pm

:-)

Well done, JD.  Just goes to show that a little Qui*m can go a long way..

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/06/04 at 9:08 pm

Well earned, JD!

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/06/04 at 9:19 pm

Thanks, Philbo and Luke.  Must admit I'm a little embarrassed!  :-[

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/07/04 at 11:45 pm

Just a reminder to forge your 'ABCs' medal, however embarassed you may be.

Check for new replies or respond here...