inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parody Contest For Those Afraid Of The Song Of The Month Contest!

Written By: Silver Power on 09/02/04 at 11:13 pm

;D If you wanna join, here are the steps:
1. Select any parody of yours
2. Click on it
3. Look up at the address bar and click in it
4. Highlight the address
5. Hold the "Control" button and press "c" while holding
6. Come here
7. Reply to this topic and write the name of your song as part of your message
8. Click on the box where you write your message right after the last word you wrote
9. Hold The "control" button and press "v" while holding.
10. The address should come up
11. Submit post
(In other words, copy and paste)
Thanks! Please do compete!

Subject: Re: Parody Contest For Those Afraid Of The Song Of The Month Contest!

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/03/04 at 12:33 am

;D If you wanna join, here are the steps:
1. Select any parody of yours
2. Click on it
3. Look up at the address bar and click in it
4. Highlight the address
5. Hold the "Control" button and press "c" while holding
6. Come here
7. Reply to this topic and write the name of your song as part of your message
8. Click on the box where you write your message right after the last word you wrote
9. Hold The "control" button and press "v" while holding.
10. The address should come up
11. Submit post
(In other words, copy and paste)
Thanks! Please do compete!

Give your competition a theme, like 'Political Parodies' or 'Crude Parodies' or whatever, otherwise everyone will create a competition seperate from the SOTM just because they feel that they won't win, which shouldn't be what the motivation is, rather to enjoy other people's work and have them enjoy yours, any medal you win being a bonus.

Written By: philbo on 09/03/04 at 4:38 am

Give your competition a theme, like 'Political Parodies' or 'Crude Parodies' or whatever

Howsabout "song parodies about towns in Sussex that are parodies of 10CC numbers"?  I might have a chance in that one... or if that's not specific enough, "song parodies about Hove that are parodies of 'I'm not in love' by 10CC", and were submitted in March '04"?

..but seriously, I agree with Luke - and was thinking that when the A..Z of parodies had run its course, to suggest themed parody competitions, or maybe even parody competitions of specific songs

PS. Scrolling text is all very well, but if it's for rules or somesuch that people have to read, it isn't making life any easier, is it?

Written By: Leo Jay on 09/03/04 at 9:00 am

..but seriously, I agree with Luke - and was thinking that when the A..Z of parodies had run its course, to suggest themed parody competitions, or maybe even parody competitions of specific songs...

Yeah, it might be more interesting to have competitions where people have to write NEW parodies that correspond to specific theme and/or original song.  The trick is figuring out how to determine the theme and/or tune. 

We could somehow agree on someone to pick the theme/tune for the first round (perhaps that person would then abstain from the round?  Though I don't think that would be necessary), then the winner of each round gets to pick the theme/tune for the next round, et cetera, et cetera...

Written By: Silver Power on 09/03/04 at 9:51 am

;DK i will start a new contest with a theme

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/04/04 at 10:10 pm

If you've heard of 'Tropfest', it's an annual Australian film competition that requires all films to contain a selected item (last year was 'hook', this year is 'umbrella') and invite contestants to be as creative as they could with the item, some had fishing hooks, others referred to a 'hook' shot in cricket. Anyhoo, I was just thinking that this would be a nice touch to the competition as we would all be looking out for the way Johnny D incorporates the phrase 'breaking and entering' etc.
;D

Written By: K1chyd on 09/05/04 at 10:39 am

Yeah, it might be more interesting to have competitions where people have to write NEW parodies that correspond to specific theme and/or original song.  The trick is figuring out how to determine the theme and/or tune. 

Hmm... I don´t wanna be the vinegar in the nobel prize champagne here, but I fear it could be severe inflation in contests if all and everyone starts running comps around their fav artist/song/hobby etc. And hence votes be spread so thin that all contests loose from it, making them/it just another version of the amiright front page.

However - And this could be beneficiary to Chucky G - having some sort of regular comp based on parodies written to be associated with those current news articles that Chucky G puts up on the top of the front page of amIright might be a good idea. I know that he wants more "action" there because it could be good for the overall promotion of the site (that was the original idea anyway) so maybe something like a weekly/monthly comp for those parodies?

As always, that was just my 47 eurocents on the subject.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/05/04 at 5:34 pm

I agree, and maybe all further theme-based comps should be held off until the ABCs have finished.

Check for new replies or respond here...