inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: August SOTM Voting

Written By: Claude_Prez on 09/08/04 at 4:55 am

~~Vote by replying to this thread with your three favorites in order: Top choice gets 3 points, next gets 2 points, third favorite gets 1 point.
~~You're not allowed to vote for your own song.
~~Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.
~~Voting continues until the last day of the month ends.
~~Anyone who's participated in a SOTM contest may vote.
~~Anyone who enters but does not vote by the end of the month is disqualified and may not participate next month.
~~Voters must leave a brief comment on every parody, indicating they've read it for the SOTM contest (something like, "SOTM--555" or whatever)

#1  The Story Of Dumbo by Agrimorfee
     Lyrics

#2  Heinous Joys Your Man's Desiring by Johnny D
             MP3

#3  The Phone Again (Kryminny) by Guy DiRito

#4  A Policeman's Job by Phil Alexander

#5  I've Broken A Bone Now by Arwen

#6  The Corridor by Adagio

#7  Halitosis by BLO-TOWN

#8  Filler by Rick Duncan

#9  Look At The End by 2nz

#10  Kerry by Ash

#11  Shakespearean Pie by Spaff.com

#12  The Mailman Can by Claude Prez

#13  Spare Pants by Luke Brattoni

#14  Ingrown Toenail by Phil Nelson

#15  Why, My Jap Car's A Junk Heap by Merry and Pippin
     mp3

#16  Too Late To Sex It Up by Martha Dtox

#17  Aging Madonna by Paul Robinson

#18  (Let Me Alter My) Jeans In Your Pool by Know 1 can hear you dream

#19  My Crappy N-Gage by Loss Of Creativity

Subject: Re: August SOTM Voting

Written By: Ash on 09/08/04 at 4:30 pm

3 points to #11
2 points to #17
1 point to #2
Honorable mention to everybody else; they definitely deserve it!  ;)

Written By: Johnny_D on 09/08/04 at 6:11 pm

3 points for #11  Shakespearean Pie by Spaff.com

2 points for #1  The Story Of Dumbo by Agrimorfee

1 point for #13  Spare Pants by Luke Brattoni

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 09/08/04 at 11:42 pm

I had many a chuckle whilst perusing this round, with some finely composed parodies from all.

3pts for the almighty deity Spaff with #11 Shakesperean Pie.
2pts for the worthy underling Claude Prez with #12 The Mailman Can.
1 pt for the piteous wretch 2nz with #9 Look At The End.

Curses, it seems those ACME explosive carrots at Spaff's doorstep didn't work... time for the ol' painted-road-at-a-cliff-face tactic!
;)

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/09/04 at 12:21 pm

3 Pts--Once again, Spaff gets the nod.
2 Pts--Johnny, I can just picture Vienna Boys Choir warbling this tune ever so reverently.
1 Pts--Luke aka Jake, amiright's Righteous Aussie Rapper!
:D :o ::)

Written By: Rick D on 09/10/04 at 5:18 pm

This month was very competitive. I liked so many, I had to resort to cruel and unusual standards to pick. Spaff needs motivation to improve, since he's way down on everyone's list, so he's out. Johnny was brilliant, but he did a classical work, and you all know I hate those. Since I sent Claude's Mailman one to all my mailperson friends, you know I hated that one. Arwen's bone has probably healed up by now. Boy, these are lame excuses to justify an odd, but worthy batch.

3 pts Agri for capturing the plot of "Dumbo" in a tough song.

2 to Guy for capturing a favorite peeve.

1 to Phil for cracking me up again with G&S

Whew! Too much competition this month.

Written By: Arwen on 09/12/04 at 1:41 am

Remember last month when I said I wasn't going to play anymore...because it was too hard to vote?  Why the hell don't I listen to myself when I'm talking?  Sheesh...

3 points...to Spaff...(who I'm totally in a fight with, by the way...for no reason other than jealousy)

2 points...to Rick...who's song I seriously loved...and who at least honored me with a name drop in his "deserving people I didn't vote for" section.

1 point...to Paul...because...um...I liked his song 3rd from the best... :)

Written By: adagio on 09/14/04 at 9:07 pm

3 Pts.  #17  Aging Madonna by Paul Robinson

2 Pts.    #3  The Phone Again (Kryminny) by Guy DiRito

1 Pt.      #15  Why, My Jap Car's A Junk Heap by Merry and Pippin

Written By: philnelson on 09/17/04 at 12:47 am

There's a lot of good competition this month, so it's very difficult to decide.  But here's my vote:

3 points- #8  Filler by Rick Duncan

2 points- #12  The Mailman Can by Claude Prez

1 point- #5  I've Broken A Bone Now by Arwen

Written By: agrimorfee on 09/17/04 at 10:13 am

3 pts Agri for capturing the plot of "Dumbo" in a tough song.

Thanks Rick! 8)

Written By: Spaff.com on 09/20/04 at 12:02 am

Another great batch. I love it when it's "that time of the month again" - it helps me find the splendid stuff I'd probably miss otherwise.

3 points to #2, "Heinous Joys Your Man's Desiring"
2 points to #4, "A Policeman's Job"
1 point to #12, "The Mailman Can"

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: marthadtox3 on 09/20/04 at 1:22 am

3 points to Spaff for Shakespearean Pie
  2 Points to Rick for Filler
  1 Point to Guy for the phone song

Written By: marthadtox3 on 09/20/04 at 1:24 am

so the numbers are (this is for clarification don't count these twice!)

3 points to 11
2 points to 8
1 point to  3

another great selection .... extremely hard to choose

Written By: philbo on 09/20/04 at 12:00 pm

I have to admit, I thought Shakepearean Pie was going to be a shoe-in, but reckon I prefer

#8 - Rick Duncan's Filler - 3 points
#11 - the inimitable Spaff - 2 points
#26 - Martha's "Too late to sex it up" - 1 point

Honorable mentions to Claude, Arwen, JD... come to think of it, pretty much everybody :)

Written By: K1chyd on 09/24/04 at 12:36 pm

This month was actually comparetively easy, I only needed 24 days to make up my mind.

Spaff of course wrote the masterpiece, but someone actually having stored that much of Shakespearian knowledge that long after being forced to read it in school, that´s in some ways possibly more scary than funny. =8-()

So I´m handing out my six like this:

3 Points to...  #2  Heinous Joys Your Man's Desiring  by Johnny D

2 Points to...  #4  A Policeman's Job  by Phil Alexander

1 Point to...  #11  Shakespearean Pie  by Spaff.com

Written By: Peregrin on 09/30/04 at 4:44 am

My votes go to :

3 pts :  # 12    "The Mailman Can" Parody by Claude Prez

2 pts :  # 8    "Filler" Parody by Rick Duncan

1 pt :  # 3    "The Phone Again (Kryminny)" Parody by Guy DiRito

Written By: DoRitos on 09/30/04 at 7:44 am

#17  Aging Madonna by Paul Robinson  3 Pts  All 'round excellent.  The title alone is worthy of a 3 point vote.

#6  The Corridor by Adagio  2 Pts  Very soulful and well written.  Pacing and timing splendid.  This is so good it could have been the original.

#19  My Crappy N-Gage by Loss Of Creativity 1 Pt.  I barely know the song but it read
very well and I feel that it deserves a vote being that it was a first parody and done so well. 

Written By: Meriadoc on 09/30/04 at 2:33 pm

Okay, here goes:

3 pts to #3 - Guy's phone tragedy...

2 pts to #11 - Spaff's Shakespearian melodrama

1 pt. to #9 - 2nz' happy endings...

And an honorable mention to K1CHYD for making me lick my lips.... ;)

Written By: PRobinson on 09/30/04 at 9:02 pm

Wow!  This was EXTREMELY tough to judge.  Finally, here's what I'm going with:

1st - #12 Claude Prez - "The Mailman Can"
2nd - #11 Spaff - "Shakespearean Pie"
3rd - #6 Adagio - "The Corridor"

There really were a whole bunch of others that I seriously considered all the positions here, but I decided to go with these three.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/01/04 at 12:03 am

3 points to #11 Spaff
2 points to #8  Rick
1 point to #4 Phil

Great job all.  And if there's anyone who hasn't voted yet, I don't plan to close the thread til tomorrow (Friday) afternoon.

Written By: 2nz on 10/01/04 at 10:12 am

THAT'S IT! It's too trying to compare creative works. I gotta take a break from this stuff... (checks to see if I even wrote a parody this past month)... oh, well alright then. Here's this lazy bum's top three:

3 points: #12 Claude's "The Mailman Can"
2 points: #11 Spaff's "Shakespearean Pie"
1 point: #19 Victor's "My Crappy N-Gage"

Edit: I forgot to say great job to everyone else who entered. Too much talent in one place, says I. I do hope we end up making a SOTM album and marketing it somehow.

Written By: K1chyd on 10/01/04 at 12:17 pm

And an honorable mention to K1CHYD for making me lick my lips.... ;)

I aim to please... :-)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/01/04 at 2:53 pm

First Place:  "Shakespearean Pie" by Spaff.com (only 30 points?!?)

Second/ Third Place (tie):  "Filler" by Rick Duncan (14 points)

and

"The Mailman Can" by Claude Prez (14 points)

Johnny D  9
Guy DiRito  9
Paul Robinson  9
Phil Alexander  6
Agrimorfee  5
Adagio  3
Luke Brattoni  2
2nz  2
Arwen  1
Merry & Pippin  1
Martha DTox  1

Congratulations Spaff, Rick, and ME! ME! ME!  Sore losersNonvoters:  BLO-TOWN and Loss Of Creativity forfeit ALL their votes (all two of them) and are ineligible to participate in the Sept. contest.  As always, thanks to everyone who did vote.  Especially for ME!  ME! ME!!

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/01/04 at 3:03 pm

Congratulations, Spaff The Glorious Pseudo-Omnipotent Quasi-Almighty Cosmic Parody-Being!

Say, Claude, isn't that a 2-way-tie for second and a 3-way-tie for third? 

1 Gold and 2 Silvers and 3 Bronzes?

If that's okay with you, the smelting department has no problem with casting a total of 6 medals here.

In any event, congratulations, Rick, and congratulations, Claude, and congratulations, everybody!  ;D

Written By: Rick D on 10/01/04 at 3:16 pm

At first, I thought Claude and I would just arm-wrestle for our spots, but it occurs to me that a better idea is for for both of us to just wrestle Spaff to the ground and tie him up. Thanks all, it was a good round.

Written By: 2nz on 10/01/04 at 3:53 pm

Congratulations Spaff (you almight toilet-hog). And Congratulations Rick and Claude (ties are for business meetings, not contests). And may I say good show to all you other non-medalists. But ha HA, my name has a '2' which happens to be my score, which falls under the category of the square-cubed rule which I just made up. It states that you can add any numbers in your name onto your score. So 2 + 2 = 22...
YES!! I came in second!!

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/01/04 at 5:20 pm

Say, Claude, isn't that a 2-way-tie for second and a 3-way-tie for third?   

1 Gold and 2 Silvers and 3 Bronzes?

If that's okay with you, the smelting department has no problem with casting a total of 6 medals here.

I'm inclined to just go with the top three, for the sake of simplicity and because the top three are automatically entered in the Song Of The Year contest which will already have, like, thirty-nine entries.  Of course, it's just luck that we only had a two-way tie for second so maybe we should figure out a way to break the tie.  I'm open to suggestions, including just awarding the six medals if enough people want to do it that way. 

Written By: adagio on 10/01/04 at 5:50 pm

Congratulations, everyone!

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/01/04 at 6:24 pm

I'm inclined to just go with the top three, for the sake of simplicity and because the top three are automatically entered in the Song Of The Year contest which will already have, like, thirty-nine entries.  Of course, it's just luck that we only had a two-way tie for second so maybe we should figure out a way to break the tie.  I'm open to suggestions, including just awarding the six medals if enough people want to do it that way. 

No big deal, Claude... As I said, I gladly volunteer to cast 6 medallions if that's what folks would like...

...I'm in favor of doing so, since it increases the FUN-FACTOR !  ;D

But...

...I won't buck the tide if the majority shout me down.....  :\'(

Written By: PRobinson on 10/01/04 at 6:46 pm

First Place:  "Shakespearean Pie" by Spaff.com (only 30 points?!?)

Second/ Third Place (tie):  "Filler" by Rick Duncan (14 points)

and

"The Mailman Can" by Claude Prez (14 points)

Johnny D  9
Guy DiRito  9
Paul Robinson  9
Phil Alexander  6
Agrimorfee  5
Adagio  3
Luke Brattoni  2
2nz  2
Arwen  1
Merry & Pippin  1
Martha DTox  1

Congratulations Spaff, Rick, and ME! ME! ME!  Sore losersNonvoters:  BLO-TOWN and Loss Of Creativity forfeit ALL their votes (all two of them) and are ineligible to participate in the Sept. contest.  As always, thanks to everyone who did vote.  Especially for ME!  ME! ME!!

Congratulations to Spaff, Rick D & Claude -  hey,  maybe we should just get a Template made saying "Congratulations, Spaff" to save the time & finger effort of typing that out each time...Jeez,  if we put Spaff into another league then JD, Guy & I WOULD have legitimately had a three-way tie for 3rd here...ahhh, well,  that ain't how it works here in the big leagues, is it? 

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/01/04 at 8:03 pm

Congratulations to Spaff, Rick D & Claude -  hey,  maybe we should just get a Template made saying "Congratulations, Spaff" to save the time & finger effort of typing that out each time...Jeez,  if we put Spaff into another league then JD, Guy & I WOULD have legitimately had a three-way tie for 3rd here...ahhh, well,  that ain't how it works here in the big leagues, is it? 

I've always felt it's just a matter of time before Spaff outgrows this place.  My attitude is, enjoy and appreciate his stuff while he's here, be thankful he raises the bar for us all (I like to limbo under it when no one's looking), and look forward to telling people you witnessed his humble beginnings.  I'm no expert but I can't help but feel that this is what it looks like when someone does what it takes to make the big time.

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/01/04 at 11:49 pm

Okay, since I am the Self-Appointed Smelter Of The Amiright SOTM & ABC Contest Medals ...

I have made an executive decision ...

In recognition of the vote-totals earned by Spaff for 1st, Rick & Claude tied for 2nd, and Guy & Paul & yours truly tied for 3rd, I decided to award the appropriate medals to each of the aforesaid individuals. 

The medals are now posted, and links to the medals have been posted in their respective parodies' comment-sections.

However ... it is understood, in line with what Claude pointed out, that eligibility for consideration in the Parody Artist Of The Year competition (*coughSpaffcough*) does not correspond to these medals ... these medals are strictly intended for historical recognition of vote-totals, nothing more. 

Eligibility for Parody Artist Of The Year (*coughSpaffcough*) will be determined according to the guidelines stated by Claude, not by who-got-what-medal.

Congratulations to everybody! 
Group hug! 
Good luck to everybody (*coughSpaffcough*) in the Parody Spaffist Of The Year competition!

;D

Written By: PRobinson on 10/02/04 at 1:30 am

Okay, since I am the Self-Appointed Smelter Of The Amiright SOTM & ABC Contest Medals ...

In recognition of the vote-totals earned by Spaff for 1st, Rick & Claude tied for 2nd, and Guy & Paul & yours truly tied for 3rd, I decided to award the appropriate medals to each of the aforesaid individuals. 

The medals are now posted, and links to the medals have been posted in their respective parodies' comment-sections.

However ... it is understood, in line with what Claude pointed out, that eligibility for consideration in the Parody Artist Of The Year competition (*coughSpaffcough*) does not correspond to these medals ... these medals are strictly intended for historical recognition of vote-totals, nothing more. 

Eligibility for Parody Artist Of The Year (*coughSpaffcough*) will be determined according to the guidelines stated by Claude, not by who-got-what-medal.

Group hug! 
Good luck to everybody (*coughSpaffcough*) in the Parody Spaffist Of The Year competition!

;D

Gee, Thank you, Johnny.  I think that's a pretty good way to handle it so that the PAOTY contest not be compromised but lots of folks get some shiny bling-bling for their efforts. 

Written By: marthadtox3 on 10/02/04 at 3:46 am

Congrats all round

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/02/04 at 5:25 am

Group hug! 

;D

Thanks Johnny!  Meanwhile I think I have a plan to break ties in the future; I may propose it in this month's contest.

Written By: PRobinson on 10/02/04 at 10:29 am

I've always felt it's just a matter of time before Spaff outgrows this place.  My attitude is, enjoy and appreciate his stuff while he's here, be thankful he raises the bar for us all (I like to limbo under it when no one's looking), and look forward to telling people you witnessed his humble beginnings.  I'm no expert but I can't help but feel that this is what it looks like when someone does what it takes to make the big time.

You know, you might just be right there, sir.  All kidding aside...well, ok, let's say MOSTLY all kidding aside, I love reading his stuff and yes, it does raise the bar for the rest of us - nothin' wrong with that at all.

Written By: Spaff.com on 10/03/04 at 7:42 pm

I've always felt it's just a matter of time before Spaff outgrows this place. 

I can take a hint, Claude, but you're not going to get rid of me that easily. Heh heh.

Thanks, y'all, for slogging your way through my entry this month, which 2nz aptly called "an endurance trial." I shouldn't admit this, but I probably spent more time putting this together than I've spent on any other piece of writing in my life (including college research papers). My reward is your feedback, so I appreciate your taking the time to gimme some o' dat. Your comments mean far more to me than my snarky online persona will ever admit.

Congrats to C4P and RAD (two authors whose work I consistently enjoy), and to the rest of you for making these SOTM's so damm entertaining.

xoxox
*coughSpaffcough*

Written By: PRobinson on 10/04/04 at 10:42 am

I can take a hint, Claude, but you're not going to get rid of me that easily. Heh heh.

xoxox
*coughSpaffcough*

Hey, he's not the only one tryin' to push you out the door there Mr. SmartyParodyPantsAuthorFreakingFavorite(yeah, yeah, I KNOW I deserve to have my poetic/parodiac license revoked for that stretch of an Acronym, but until the postings get updated today I've got way too much time on my hands - until about 11:00 am when I've got to run around town and do a bunch of errands for my Dad...)

pr

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/04/04 at 10:46 am

cough

Good, good, cough once more please, Mr. Spafford...that's good, okay, thank you, Mr. Spafford, the examination is over, you can put your pants back on.

;D

Johnny Doctor

Written By: John Jenkins on 10/04/04 at 6:24 pm

Guy DiRito, Paul Robinson and Johnny D should be commended for writing good parodies and getting a lot of votes.  But in all competitions that I am familiar with, if 3 competitors finish ahead of you (even if 2 are tied), you are in 4th place.

Written By: PRobinson on 10/04/04 at 10:13 pm

Guy DiRito, Paul Robinson and Johnny D should be commended for writing good parodies and getting a lot of votes.  But in all competitions that I am familiar with, if 3 competitors finish ahead of you (even if 2 are tied), you are in 4th place.

you're right...but that's only in the real world, JJ...

pr

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/04/04 at 10:41 pm

you're right...but that's only in the real world, JJ...

pr

.... and whoever said that Amiright is the "real world", eh?  heh heh heh .... :) ;) ;D

Written By: 2nz on 10/04/04 at 11:05 pm

THANK YOU JOHN!!!

(Sorry, but I get's ta add two points to my score for this month, so I'm planning on getting some enjoyment out of being a thorny wrinkle in your TIE-dyed, shiny, medallic world.)

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/04/04 at 11:10 pm

THANK YOU JOHN!!!

(Sorry, but I get's ta add two points to my score for this month, so I'm planning on getting some enjoyment out of being a thorny wrinkle in your TIE-dyed, shiny, medallic world.)

Absolutely!!  Go right ahead!!  But of course... none of that is the real world... and none of this is the real world... heh heh heh...  ;D  ...Salvador Dali says, "Look out for zee melting watches!"...  ;D

Written By: 2nz on 10/04/04 at 11:26 pm

Absolutely!!  Go right ahead!!  But of course... none of that is the real world... and none of this is the real world... heh heh heh...  ;D  ...Salvador Dali says, "Look out for zee melting watches!"...  ;D

Touche, oh Smelting Smelter.

"There is no spoon," said Mack, the Knife.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 10/05/04 at 7:06 am

"There is no spoon," said Mack, the Knife.

What?! You're forking crazy!

Check for new replies or respond here...