inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: SCI-FI/FANTASY PARODY CONTEST ENTRY THREAD ***ENTRY THREAD CLOSED***

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/03/04 at 2:30 pm

Many Amiright parody authors have posted parodies whose topics are drawn from fantasy-fiction and/or science-fiction.

So let's have ourselves a...

.... SCI-FI/FANTASY PARODY CONTEST !

Entries must be parodies based on themes drawn from either books or television shows or motion pictures from the genres of fantasy-fiction and/or science-fiction.

TV news programs do NOT qualify as "television shows" for the purposes of this contest.

Documentaries that you personally consider to be "fantasy" or "sci-fi" in nature, and about which you have written a parody that obviously treats them as such, will be acceptable...we shall let the voters decide!

You are permitted to enter a parody that you previously entered in one or more other contest(s), if you wish.

It's okay if your entry happens to be about a children's fable or nursery story or Mother Goose tale, they all qualify as fantasy fiction.

To enter, reply to this thread with the URL of your entry.

Your entry can be a parody you posted at any time either in the past or before this entry-thread is declared closed.

Only parodies posted on www.amiright.com are eligible for this contest.

This entry-thread will be declared closed sometime between 11:59 PM EDST Monday 10/11/04 and 11:59 PM EDST Tuesday 10/12/04.  The voting-thread will be posted shortly thereafter.

By entering, you are agreeing to read all the other entries and vote.

Vote by replying to the voting thread (not to this entry thread) with your three favorites in order:  Top choice gets 3 points, next gets 2 points, third favorite gets 1 point.

You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

Subject: Re: SCI-FI/FANTASY PARODY CONTEST ENTRY THREAD

Written By: PRobinson on 10/03/04 at 2:55 pm

Many Amiright parody authors have posted parodies whose topics are drawn from fantasy-fiction and/or science-fiction.

So let's have ourselves a...

.... SCI-FI/FANTASY PARODY CONTEST !

Entries must be parodies based on themes drawn from either books or television shows or motion pictures from the genres of fantasy-fiction and/or science-fiction.

To enter, reply to this thread with the URL of your entry.

Your entry can be a parody you posted at any time either in the past or before this entry-thread is declared closed.

Only parodies posted on www.amiright.com are eligible for this contest.

This entry-thread will be declared closed sometime between 11:59 PM EDST Monday 10/11/04 and 11:59 PM EDST Tuesday 10/12/04.  The voting-thread will be posted shortly thereafter.

By entering, you are agreeing to read all the other entries and vote.

Vote by replying to the voting thread (not to this entry thread) with your three favorites in order:  Top choice gets 3 points, next gets 2 points, third favorite gets 1 point.

You're not allowed to vote for your own song.

Once you've posted a vote, you're not allowed to change it.

OOOH - I like this.  You know, you are a very imaginative fellow, JD.  I like these new contest concepts that you have come up with lately.

pr

Written By: adagio on 10/03/04 at 3:10 pm

This one I really like and will enter.  Thanks for thinking of it, Johnny.

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/03/04 at 4:37 pm

Paul and Pat, I'm very happy that you like the concept for this contest! 

Yes, please, by all means, enter!  EVERYBODY, please, enter!  :)

I guess I'm becoming one of what I hope will eventually be many self-appointed coordinators of "Amiright Specialty-Theme Parody Contests".

Claude coordinates the Song Of The Month Contests, various volunteers take turns coordinating the ABC Contests, so why not have ol' Johnny D coordinate some specialty-theme contests, just for fun?  ;D

Written By: Arwen on 10/03/04 at 6:43 pm

That would require me to actually choose a favorite LOTR parody, Mister!

How in the hell am I supposed to do that?  ;)

Written By: adagio on 10/03/04 at 7:18 pm

Johnny, would you clear something up?  Is it alright to enter previously entered parodies in ABC contests here also, i.e. I entered Green Men Will Grab Ya in 'G'; could I enter it here also?

Written By: Spaff.com on 10/03/04 at 7:46 pm

Entries must be parodies based on themes drawn from either books or television shows or motion pictures from the genres of fantasy-fiction and/or science-fiction

How 'bout one about WMD's and the Iraq War? Wouldn't that be considered "fantasy-fiction and/or science fiction"?

Heh heh.

xoxox
Spaff

Written By: adagio on 10/03/04 at 7:50 pm

How 'bout one about WMD's and the Iraq War? Wouldn't that be considered "fantasy-fiction and/or science fiction"?

Heh heh.

xoxox
Spaff

:P :P :P :P :P

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/03/04 at 8:50 pm

That would require me to actually choose a favorite LOTR parody, Mister!

How in the hell am I supposed to do that?   ;)

Play scissors, paper, and stone (or three other items of your own romantic/erotic devising) with an imaginary Aragorn.   ;)

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/03/04 at 8:51 pm

Johnny, would you clear something up?  Is it alright to enter previously entered parodies in ABC contests here also, i.e. I entered Green Men Will Grab Ya in 'G'; could I enter it here also?

Yes, Pat, it is OK for an entry to have been previously entered in any other contest.  I shall add this clarification to the official rules.

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/03/04 at 8:55 pm

Heh heh.

xoxox
Spaff

Well... it has to be based on a book and/or TV show and/or motion picture... I shall add a clarification that TV news does NOT qualify as a TV show.

But... if somebody truly believes that, for example, Michael Moore's motion picture "Fahrenheit 911" is "fantasy" or "sci-fi", well, then, who am I to say they can't submit a parody based on that?  Heh heh heh...I guess we'd let the voters decide!

Johnny D ;D

Written By: MysteryGoat on 10/04/04 at 1:40 am

Do the three little pigs and little red riding hood count as fantasy?

Written By: marthadtox3 on 10/04/04 at 1:53 am

science fiction or science fact?????

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/bobdylan0.shtml

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/04/04 at 7:41 am

Do the three little pigs and little red riding hood count as fantasy?

Well, they're fantasy characters in children's fantasy stories found in children's books.... I shall allow it!  :)

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/04/04 at 7:45 am

science fiction or science fact?????

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/bobdylan0.shtml

Hmmm...electronically-enhanced psyops mind-control is not science fiction, it's science fact that sometimes gets blown out of proportion in the media & exaggerated by people who aren't quite fully in-touch with the facts...I don't think this qualifies...do you have a different parody that fits the fiction/fantasy guideline more closely, Martha?  If you don't, then I'll stretch the rules and allow this one in.

Written By: marthadtox2 on 10/04/04 at 8:00 am

Hi

this is the only one that I have that comes  even vaguely within the category of science fact or fiction!

Written By: DoRitos on 10/04/04 at 8:32 am

"She's Always A Woman To Me" Based on the performance by Billy Joel
"She's One Special Hewmon You See"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/billyjoel120.shtml

Star Trek Deep Space Nine parody on Ferengi and the practice of oomox. 

Written By: adagio on 10/04/04 at 8:38 am

A parody about the X-Files...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/stevemiller14.shtml

a midi is at the top of the parody

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/04/04 at 8:51 am

Hi

this is the only one that I have that comes  even vaguely within the category of science fact or fiction!

Okay then, I'll allow it.

Written By: PRobinson on 10/04/04 at 10:33 am

Well, they're fantasy characters in children's fantasy stories found in children's books.... I shall allow it!  :)

Wait a minute, Johnny - Do you mean to tell me those stories weren't real?  Well, Gawd-dammit, my parents freaking WERE lying to me...

pr

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/04/04 at 10:40 am

Wait a minute, Johnny - Do you mean to tell me those stories weren't real?  Well, Gawd-dammit, my parents freaking WERE lying to me...

pr

Well, I suppose a metaphysical philosopher might argue that they ARE real on the "astral plane".  But I don't think they ever had boarding passes for the physical plane.  ;D

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/04/04 at 12:09 pm

I'm not going to win this one, because there are so many worthy contenders that I have read here (as well as many bad ones who shall not be named). But I will nominate my biggest contender in this category, enjoy all...
http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/countingcrows0.shtml

(original lyric of "Mrs. Potter's Lullabye" :http://www.spynets.net/lyrics_details.php?ID=8707

Written By: MysteryGoat on 10/04/04 at 4:30 pm

"Eaten By The Wolf" parody of "Hungry Like The Wolf" by Duran Duran

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/04/04 at 11:34 pm

"Gollum's Rhapsody"

Written By: philbo on 10/05/04 at 4:17 am

This is plain unfair... I've got too many I want to enter: couldn't you split it so that there's a LOTR competition, a Star Wars competition, etc.?

Although I was tempted to enter The Little Dumber Droid, which is nearly as cute as my last amiright submission, given that it's a generic sci-fi competition I'm going to go with my SOTR (Lord Wars) crossover parody:

Dad, Peregrin (to 'Bad Medicine' by Bon Jovi)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 10/05/04 at 7:02 am

Ignoring my 455,192 parodies regarding the subject of 'sexual fantasy', I was left with:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/eminem171.shtml

I believe that this qualifies for the 'fantasy' genre as it parodies the Harry Potter BOOK (not the biographical film of which the fictional novel was based... before the film was released...)

Written By: jreuben on 10/05/04 at 9:11 am

I have one...cool!  ;D

http://www.amiright.com/parody/90s/alanismorrisette6.shtml

Written By: 2nz on 10/05/04 at 11:47 am

Hmm... It's a toss-up between my version of 'YODA'http://www.amiright.com/parody/2000s/outkast36.shtml and 'Sam's Oddity'. And I can always plug 'Yoda' once here and once in the 'Y' abc's coming up.

So 'Sam's Oddity' it is:
http://www.amiright.com/parody/70s/davidbowie32.shtml to a specific song by David Bowie

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/05/04 at 12:10 pm

This is plain unfair... I've got too many I want to enter: couldn't you split it so that there's a LOTR competition, a Star Wars competition, etc.?

That's what I thought should have been done, too, but since I had no Star Wars songs, I didn't speak up. :-[

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/05/04 at 12:25 pm

Although I was tempted to enter The Little Dumber Droid, which is nearly as cute as my last amiright submission, given that it's a generic sci-fi competition I'm going to go with my SOTR (Lord Wars) crossover parody:

Dad, Peregrin (to 'Bad Medicine' by Bon Jovi)

Hey Philbo - - - what's stopping you from hosting an "Amiright Star Trek/Star Wars/LOTR Parody Contest" ?  Sounds like a fun idea, why dontcha go for it? 

After this generic Sci-Fi/Fantasy contest, why don't you host a specialized contest just for, say, LOTR or SW or ST?

Doesn't even have to be after, could be concurrent, too!

Written By: philbo on 10/05/04 at 4:34 pm

I'm doing too many of these competitions already - I was planning on running one or two themed ones after we'd finished the ABCs, using polls rather than vote counting just to see how well it works out.

Written By: Mr. Sol R. Sistum on 10/05/04 at 7:32 pm

Wait for me I am gonna enter I am waiting for amiright to put it on the website. ;D

Written By: SteveCav on 10/05/04 at 8:46 pm

Did someone say Star Wars songs?  ???

Did someone REALLY say.. STAR WARS Songs???

:o

But.. I can only choose one.  :\'(

Oh well, I think this one is my best:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/andrewlloydweber0.shtml

Unfortunately not too many know the real lyrics, so here's a link to them:

http://www.angelfire.com/realm/theatre/masterofthehouse.html

Written By: Mr. Sol R. Sistum on 10/06/04 at 2:41 pm

Yes! It Is Completed! Check This One Out, It Is My Only Parody So Far - http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/richardharris8.shtml ;D

Written By: Mr. Sol R. Sistum on 10/06/04 at 2:45 pm

Umm.. Where do I vote Mr. D?

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/06/04 at 2:49 pm

Umm.. Where do I vote Mr. D?

See my first posting on this thread for more information.

Thank you for entering!  :)

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/06/04 at 5:15 pm

Sol R., maybe it's just my PC, but it's very difficult to read your colorful posts.

Written By: adagio on 10/06/04 at 5:28 pm

LOL, I found myself squinting at Sol's posts...thought it was my eyes.

Written By: Mr. Sol R. Sistum on 10/06/04 at 5:36 pm

Okay, this is my last post like this ;D

Written By: adagio on 10/06/04 at 5:38 pm

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
Okay, this is my last post like this ;D

Written By: Arwen on 10/07/04 at 12:15 am

It was practically impossible for me to choose...and I'm still not sure I picked the right one...and honestly it's not like it matters...because I don't really ever expect to win...but...alas...here's one of my many LOTR parodies...that I'm rather proud of...

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/thebeatles720.shtml

Written By: Silver Power on 10/07/04 at 2:36 pm

I choose my new one, named "The One Ring" http://amiright.com/parody/misc/songfrommontypythonandtheholygrail0.shtml

Written By: Mr. Sol R. Sistum on 10/07/04 at 8:53 pm

Written By: Mr. Sol R. Sistum on 10/07/04 at 8:56 pm

I can't find the voting thread. Could someone please give me the URL?

Written By: philbo on 10/08/04 at 6:16 am

Patience, Mr Sistum (or should I call you "Sol"?) - the voting thread doesn't get posted until the entry thread is closed...

Written By: Mr. Sol R. Sistum on 10/08/04 at 7:02 am

Ah.. Okay, i am new here...and you may call me what you wish.. ;)

Written By: DoRitos on 10/08/04 at 11:31 am

LOL, I found myself squinting at Sol's posts...thought it was my eyes.

If you move your mouse over the blurry text and highlight it, it becomes much easier to read - even the moving variety. 

Written By: adagio on 10/08/04 at 12:14 pm

D'oh...now why didn't I think of that?  I know...it must be my unfamiliarity with these machines in the first place.  Either that or some serious lack on my part.  :\'(  ;)

Written By: PRobinson on 10/08/04 at 8:15 pm

Well, it was a tough decision.  I decided to go with "Captain Kirk, The Space Wanderer" to Dion & The Belmonts oldier,  "The Wanderer"

http://www.amiright.com/parody/60s/dionthebelmonts1.shtml

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/12/04 at 12:52 am

Entry thread is now closed.  Please post your votes for 1st,2nd,3rd on the voting thread.

Check for new replies or respond here...