inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: -Contest Ideas-

Written By: Mr. Sol R. Sistum on 10/06/04 at 2:54 pm

It Is Up To You!;D

Subject: Re: -Contest Ideas-

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/06/04 at 5:14 pm

Needed in this poll, maybe the next one--

Politics
Cars
Broadway
Classical
Literature
TV
Science (not Sci-Fi)
History
Totally Serious (parodies that were meant as statements, tributes, heartfelt words, etc.)
Bohemian Rhapsody
American Pie

EDIT: Blinded By The Light
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald
Stairway To Heaven

Written By: John Jenkins on 10/06/04 at 7:10 pm

There are some good contest ideas here.  I voted for a few, and Agrimorfee also had some good concepts; but I agree with Luke Brattoni.  The more concurrent contests there are, the harder it is going to be to evaluate adequately all of the entries.

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/06/04 at 8:42 pm

There are some good contest ideas here.  I voted for a few, and Agrimorfee also had some good concepts; but I agree with Luke Brattoni.  The more concurrent contests there are, the harder it is going to be to evaluate adequately all of the entries.

I agree 100%.  Let's spread 'em out over time, that'll keep things interesting for a long time to come.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/07/04 at 12:04 pm

Me too.  I'm not saying anyone shouldn't start a contest (because who gets to decide this stuff?) but you should be prepared for some disappointing turnouts if a new one pops up every day; I know I plan on becoming more selective about which ones I enter.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 10/08/04 at 1:26 am

Here's another issue: should there be a limit to the amount of different competitions the one parody can be entered?It would be a bit boring reading the same work in SOTM, ABC and a load of other comps. Maybe a limit of 2 competitions per parody.

Written By: Andy Roper on 10/08/04 at 1:55 am

How about a contest for those of of us who have submitted say.... under 10 parodies...or in my case, 5 ?

Call it an 'encouragement' award  ::)

Written By: John Jenkins on 10/08/04 at 8:28 am

Here's another issue: should there be a limit to the amount of different competitions the one parody can be entered?It would be a bit boring reading the same work in SOTM, ABC and a load of other comps. Maybe a limit of 2 competitions per parody.

Good question.  I'm guessing that maybe there is an "unwritten" rule that a parody will not get as much "appreciation" in the second contest it is entered in as it did in the first.

I am particularly thinking of Johnny D's "Blow the Nation's Nose," which is an excellent parody and deservedly won the ABC "B" contest, but only got 2 points in the April SOTM contest.  I think that there have been some other parodies that also got substantially fewer votes the second time around.  I don't know if it's fair or not, but I don't think I'm going to enter a parody into two different contests.

Written By: Joelle on 10/08/04 at 11:20 am

School, food, 60's, oldies, Disney song.

Written By: Saider E. on 10/16/04 at 12:21 pm

How about crime parodies

Written By: MooRocca on 10/16/04 at 12:48 pm

With a spate of holidays approaching, you could do:

Holiday themed parodies written to holiday songs,
Holiday themed parodies that are not written to holiday songs
and
Parodies that are written to holiday songs but are not holiday themed.

Or, you could do contests for parodies about specific holidays.

Written By: Silver Power on 10/16/04 at 8:23 pm

He could, but Spaff.com would win, since he has a whole cd... ;)

Written By: DoRitos on 10/17/04 at 8:57 am

He could, but Spaff.com would win, since he has a whole cd... ;)

Maybe, but I have a whole album:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/variousartists4.shtml

I don't think anything was mentioned about having a "Bohemian Rhapsody" contest.  Lots of these out here. 

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/17/04 at 10:15 am

Maybe, but I have a whole album:

http://www.amiright.com/parody/misc/variousartists4.shtml

I don't think anything was mentioned about having a "Bohemian Rhapsody" contest.  Lots of these out here. 

That's an impressive album Guy!

As of the writing of this messageboard-reply, there are currently a total of 113 parodies of "Bohemian Rhapsody" posted on Amiright.

Here are some of the biggies of the most-popular-to-be-parodied songs on Amiright as of this writing:

Sk8er Boi (Avril Lavigne) - 125 parodies
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) - 113 parodies
American Pie (Don McLean (and/or Madonna's cover) ) - 86 parodies
Complicated (Avril Lavigne) - 74 parodies
Let It Be (The Beatles) - 52 parodies

Written By: PRobinson on 10/17/04 at 11:35 am

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny,  I LIKE your ideas...BUT...where are the THUMB-THEMED parodies??  I just happen to have a few of them twiddling around here somewhere just waiting for a place to be stuck into...

Paul R.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 10/27/04 at 2:07 am

Two songs in the top five, Avril should be Congratulated! (uh-oh, I feel a parody coming)

I was just wondering, Mr Sol R. Sistum, when the poll above was 'closing'.
You could list the favourites ala Johnny D two panels up and then people could assign themselves as 'host' of that topic and pick a week to do it in until they're all taken and we have two months or so of competitions organised.

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/28/04 at 10:00 pm

I love them all!!!!

Written By: philbo on 10/29/04 at 1:15 pm

Sk8er Boi (Avril Lavigne) - 125 parodies
Bohemian Rhapsody (Queen) - 113 parodies

...there's more of both, IIRC - when I tabulated these a few months back, there were >20 with different variants on "Sk8/ater Boy/i"... plus at least one Bohemain Rhapsody.

:)

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/29/04 at 1:58 pm

Maybe somebody should write "Sk8er Rhapsody" and "Bohemian Boi" (I am NOT volunteering for such a dangerous mission)....

Written By: philbo on 10/29/04 at 6:50 pm

Maybe somebody should write "Sk8er Rhapsody" and "Bohemian Boi" (I am NOT volunteering for such a dangerous mission)....

Well, the latter looks like it could be a Cliff Richard parody...

Written By: Jack Wilson on 10/29/04 at 9:13 pm

;D

Written By: Saider E. on 10/30/04 at 12:39 pm

I say a contest of parodies on Michael Jackson

Check for new replies or respond here...