inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Taking a Stand!

Written By: Saider E. on 10/09/04 at 12:01 pm

Maybe its just me but,I think in all fairness that older and more current songs should be seperated from each other when it comes to theses contest.

1 reason is because older authors can't vote on parodies of current songs and vice versa
that means everybody cna't participate properly and the voting is very biased, thats how i see it. I would love to vote in some of these rounds but about 98% of the songs I don't know. i would also love to submit my own parodies but I feel they might be to current to get a fair run, but i might have a chance if there's a specific contest for parodies of the same era of music.

So maybe you could have a, lets say politcal parodies one thread for older songs like before the mid 80s or 90s and one for current songs. Just a suggestion :)

Subject: Re: Taking a Stand!

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/09/04 at 3:14 pm

Many of the participants in these contests are well-versed in music of all eras, and they come from all age demographics. If you fear that all your entries will lose out due to DKTOS (Dont KNow the Original Song), that happens to Old and New Songs! Hell, I haven't won ANY SINGLE CONTEST here, DKTOS or not.  :\'(

One suggestion is to post links to available lyric pages, MIDI audiostreams or mp3s of the original songs along with your entry.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/09/04 at 4:04 pm

Maybe its just me but,I think in all fairness that older and more current songs should be seperated from each other when it comes to theses contest.

1 reason is because older authors can't vote on parodies of current songs and vice versa
that means everybody cna't participate properly and the voting is very biased, thats how i see it. I would love to vote in some of these rounds but about 98% of the songs I don't know. i would also love to submit my own parodies but I feel they might be to current to get a fair run, but i might have a chance if there's a specific contest for parodies of the same era of music.

So maybe you could have a, lets say politcal parodies one thread for older songs like before the mid 80s or 90s and one for current songs. Just a suggestion :)

Agri made most of the points I would've made.  I'll just add that Ethan tried to start a 2000s only SOTM -- which I always thought would be a great idea -- but very few people entered and it died.  This place used to be comprised mostly of younger people but as the fogies took over many of them left.  Perhaps if someone were committed to a regular newer songs contest (maybe expanding it to, like, the last ten years or so), more of the younger members would gather.  I'd love to do it but frankly I don't care that much.  Just a suggestion.

Written By: 2nz on 10/09/04 at 4:31 pm

I second what Agri and Claude said. In my opinion, the main reason why people should enter into these contest is to give their parody exposure. If you enter one, all, if not most of the other people who entered will read through your parody. That's usually more than a dozen looks for your parody. And in my experience, part of the fun is seeing how people of all different back-grounds respond. I also think that having one 'Song of the Month' is better than having several decade specific 'Songs of the Month' and the same goes for other contest that weren't designed to be from a specific decade.

There is also the '-Contest Ideas-' thread, where you can pitch a decade-specific contest and arrange one in the future. Someone might already be organizing one.

Written By: Mr. Sol R. Sistum on 10/09/04 at 5:20 pm

I have just one thing to say:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
You like digimon Saider? aren't you a little old for that? HAHAHAHAHA! That's a good one. Wait. You aren't kidding :o ? .....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA  ;D !

Written By: MooRocca on 10/09/04 at 9:13 pm

If you want a particular type of contest, host it. 

Written By: MysteryGoat on 10/10/04 at 2:30 am

I don't think it's anything to cry over, but I do agree that with my own experience most of the contests I've entered, on average I'll know 3-5 songs or original authors for that matter. And for my songs that I've entered that range from at least the past 5 years aren't recognized. I agree with what 2 said that these contests are for exposure more than anything, but because of the era difference voting can be a bit biased towards those you know.

Written By: agrimorfee on 10/11/04 at 7:58 am

I don't vote based on how familiar I am with the author's past work (although I might comment, "Good stuff as usual"). I am always eager to see a work of genius from a new voice--Susannah Villijin (spelled wrong, forgive) is a recent newbie I think will contribute a lot of good material, for example.

Check for new replies or respond here...