inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: "Who Can It Be Now?" Costume Party Challenge

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/21/04 at 10:57 pm

MooRocca and I have been planning on doing an anonymous-type parody challenge for awhile.  We know this board's been flooded with contests lately but this one is different in that there's no voting commitment involved; plus you have to write a new song for it.  We're using Halloween as an excuse to try it out.  Here's how it works:

First of all, the most important rule is:  Don't reply to this message.  We want it to be completely anonymous, which means we not only don't want to know whose song is whose; we don't even want to know who is entering.  If you have questions, read this entire message VERY CAREFULLY, because chances are you'll find your answer.  If not, any questions should be posted anonymously (as a guest) in the special "Costume Party Question" thread, located in the Song Parodies forum (since we're not allowed to post as guests in this forum).

***Entries should be submitted to AmiRight ONLY on Thursday, Oct. 28 -- not before, not after -- to appear (hopefully) on the Friday update before Halloween weekend.

***Entries should be a parody of "Who Can It Be Now" by Men At Work.  Any topic you want.

***Author name must be a "costume" -- someone famous, perhaps, or some sort of joke. No impersonating other AmiRight authors allowed, though. Be creative, funny, or both. Your costume can relate to the song if you like (example: "Who Can It Be Underneath My Desk" by William J. Clinton) but it doesn't have to. Just like a real Halloween costume, originality is key (so don't *actually* do the Clinton thing; it was just an example).

***Entries must be parodies written specifically for this challenge. For example, "I've Got To Pee Now" by "Effjay Eubenray" would be considered ineligible, plus the worst costume ever.

***Do not allow comments on your entry, for two reasons:
1. Any comments could give clues to your identity. We want this to be completely anonymous -- not just for fun, but to give everyone an opportunity to compete without any alliances (real or perceived), reputations (deserved or not), or other clique-type baggage interfering.
2. You may want to resubmit your song under your own author name after the challenge is over. People can comment then.

If you don't know the song "Who Can It Be Now" by Men At Work, here is an MP3

And here are the lyrics:

"WHO CAN IT BE NOW?"
Men at Work
80s

Who can it be knocking at my door?
Go away, don't come 'round here no more.
Can't you see that it's late at night?
I'm very tired, and I'm not feeling right.
All I wish is to be alone,
Stay away, don't you invade my home.
Best off if you hang outside,
Don't come in, I'll only run and hide.

Who can it be now? Who can it be now?

Who can it be knocking at my door?
Make no sound, tiptoe across the floor.
If he hears, he'll knock all day,
I'll be trapped and here I'll have to stay.
I've done no harm, I keep to myself,
There's nothing wrong with my state of mental health.
I like it here with my childhood friend,
Here they come those feelings again!

Is it the man come to take me away?
Why do they follow me?
It's not the future that I can see,
It's just my fantasy.

Yeah!

---Instrumental---

(Who-oo-oo)

(Ahhhhh... oh  oh)
Who can it be now

(Ahhhhh... yea-eah!)
Who can it?  Who can it?

(Ahhhhh... oh oh)
Who can it be now

(Ahhhhhh yea-eah, hey, wah wah wah... )

And here are all the current amiright.com parodies of the song (that were properly labelled):
I've Got To Pee Now by Jeff Reuben
Can He Shut Up Now? by Jo.
Hey, Can I Dream Now? by Men At Work Fan
I'm Smokin' Weed Now by Floyd's Garage
It's Halloween Now (Michael Myers) by Chris Bodily TM
Oh, She's A She Now? by Malcolm Higgins
She's Like A Sea Cow by Malcolm Higgins
Who Wants To Clean Now? by Brittany Freeman
You've Got To Flee Now! by Birgitta Lindsey
Jehovah's Witness by Tim Hall
Who Can They Beat Now? by William Tong
How Can This Be Now? by Gary Main
Shooting A Sea Cow by Ethan Mawyer

We've only included these for reference, so everyone at least knows which ideas have already been used.  Just because a title looks similar to an existing one, doesn't mean you can't use it but you probably should check to make sure yours isn't too much like the first one. 

VOTING
Voting will be done independently, by an impartial panel of judges, (which means it consists of one or more non-AmiRight people).  Entries will be judged on humor, originality, and overall quality.  Both the parody and the costume will be judged, and prizes may be awarded for both in a variety of categories.  Only parodies appearing that Friday (assuming there's a parody update that day) will be judged.  Hopefully, winners will be announced on Sunday sometime.  If not, then who knows; we'll get around to it.  After that, everyone will be asked to unmask themselves in the announcement thread.  So get going and HAVE FUN!!!!

Check for new replies or respond here...