inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Costume Party Challenge Results

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/31/04 at 11:18 pm

First of all, thanks to everyone who entered, and MANY thanks to MooRocca, who wrote most of this message:

We know you're dying to find out who won what in our little cos-tomb contest.  So, gather around, boys and ghouls, we're ready to digg into the Prize Vault to see what we can scare up for you... besides the remains of the Prize family, of corpse!   Bwahahahahaha!

Best Overall Parody
Who Can Compete Now? by Some guy in a Green Lantern costume
          This scarody had us howling!  When this guy kills the competition, he really kills the competition 

Honorable mentions, in no particular order:

Best Skeleton Parody
Two Are Eighteen Now by Hugh Hefner
           Two skeletons and a bone -- who would have guessed that cradle robbing was so much like grave robbing?       

Best Politi-kill Scarody
U.K.I.P. Row by Robert Killjoy-Sick
           The thought of this guy being put in charge of anything is enough to send chills down a dead man's spine!   

The P.H.A.T.* Award (* Pretty Huge and Terrifying)
Huge As Can Be Now by Fats Bottomo and Chubby Shyster
           We're dying to introduce you two to our old pal Hannibal!  We can tell he'd enjoy meating you.  Let's toast to good friends and large quantities of good food, shall we?  Here's blood in your eye!

Best Dirge
How Can This Be Now? by "Michael Pacholek"
         The perfect song to moan along with as we mourn the loss of a perfectly good curse, cut down in its prime.  (And we have to admit that we're suckers for a good bat scarody!)

The "It Came From Uranus" Award
I Am E.T. Now by Spelruk Nizuwesook
      Some of our best friends are other-worldy creatures! 

Most Frightening Scarody:
Spooking The Females (Spooking With Emails) by False Moustache
         We'll never be able to read e-mail with our eyes closed, again!

Most Evil Smelling Scarody:
Who Cut The Cheese Now?! by Fartissimo
     Anything this evil is always good in our book -- not so good in the crypt, since the stench is likely to linger in the air forever, but... 

The "Bump in the Night" Award  and  (winner of our no expense paid trip to the ER)
I'm So Clumsy--Ow! by Nope In Aim (Say it fast, people)
     We're not falling down laughing AT you... you're the one falling down, we're standing up and laughing AT you!  Heh heh heh! 

The Creatures of the Night Award
Toucan, That Beak, Wow! by Cyrano De Birderac
What's that?  It's not nocturnal?  The devil you say!  We unnaturally  assumed a creature with a freakishly huge technocolor honker like that would want to hide under cover of darkness. 

Best Use of Fowl Language
Toucans Are Free Now! by Paul à la Cartney & Buffalo Wings

Best Chill-drens Scarody:
Who Cares About The Care Bears by "Tokusou Sentai Blessranger"
      Care Bears... doesn't toll a bell... we must have missed that ghastly fad.  Were they anything like those wonderful Scare Bears that were so popular when we were chill-dren?  (Slasher Bear, Zombie Bear, Flesh-Eating Bear... those names dredge up such fond memories!)

The Dead Kennedys Memorial Award
Screwed Kennedy Now? by See Yai Yay
       From the title, we were hoping this would be a naughty current events scarody.  But the delightful retelling of this classic tale of murder and mayhem more than made up for our initial disappointment.

Conflict of Interest Award:
Who Can I Eat Now?  by Hannibal Lecter

COSTUMES:

Best Wolfman in a Leotard* Cos-tomb (*Obscure Gnort reference.)
Who Can Compete Now? by Some guy in a Green Lantern costume

Best "Come As You Are" Cos-tomb
Two Are Eighteen Now by Hugh Hefner

Funniest Costumes:
Huge As Can Be Now by Fats Bottomo and Chubby Shyster

"Did We Forget to Mention It Was a Costume Party?" Good Sport Award:
How Can This Be Now? by "Michael Pacholek"

The "...And What Are You Supposed To Be?" costume award
I Am E.T. Now by Spelruk Nizuwesook

Cheapest cos-tomb:
Spooking The Females (Spooking With Emails) by False Moustache

Best Use of a Wind-breaker to Make a Cos-tomb
Who Cut The Cheese Now?! by Fartissimo

The "I AM saying it fast, and I still don't get it" award:
I'm So Clumsy--Ow! by Nope In Aim (Say it fast, people)

The "Gee, I hope that's a mask and not your real face" award:
Toucan, That Beak, Wow! by Cyrano De Birderac

Best cos-tomb idea  or "Doesn't that Beat-all" Award 
Toucans Are Free Now! by Paul à la Cartney & Buffalo Wings

The "Dang, I was gonna come as a bigoted, fired daytime TV host" Award:
U.K.I.P. Row by Robert Killjoy-Sick

The "We said 'cos-tomb' not 'cartoon'" Good Sport Award
Who Cares About The Care Bears by "Tokusou Sentai Blessranger"

Scariest cos-tomb:

Thanks again for a fun time, congratulations to everyone and this thread is where you unmask.

Subject: Re: Costume Party Challenge Results

Written By: Claude_Prez on 10/31/04 at 11:24 pm

This was my entry (just for fun, not eligible for anything), and I'd be remiss if I didn't acknowledge this one also.

Written By: Johnny_D on 10/31/04 at 11:27 pm

Thanks, Claude and MooRocca, this was a lot of fun!

Congratulations - and Happy Halloween - to all who participated!

I am "Paul à la Cartney & Buffalo Wings", the author of "Toucans Are Free Now!"    ;D

Written By: Rick D on 11/01/04 at 12:25 am

I will confess who I am, but first I must explain how I screwed up.I saw the thread late one night, and explained it to my son, who usually rolls his eyes when I say I'm going to write a new parody. We discussed it and he actually suggested I write about the Olsen twins, because like most people, he hates them too. I immediately wrote it and posted it as Hugh Hefner (which everyone seemed to know was me) because I remembered something about Friday being the day it should go on. The next day I checked and oops, it was supposed to be the following Friday. I figured I was disqualified, I blew it. But of course that bugged me and a few days later I wrote another one. This time I posted on the proper day, not knowing that you guys were going to take them all. But the irony here is that once again, Johnny D and I were in sync and both wrote about Toucans. So I also am Cyrano de Birderac, a name suggested by Mari. So even though I scewed up and deservedly did not win, it became a family enterprise. So thanks C and M for a fun idea.

Written By: DoRitos on 11/01/04 at 8:08 am

My cos-tomb was eating at me all night.  I was hoping not to be eaten under the table by the competiton.  I had been hungry for a competition like this for quite awhile now and found it quite appetizing.  My character in the parody was so huge it had to have two authors.  I am Fats Bottomo and Chubby Shyster.  This was a lot of fun.  Thanks Claude and MooRocca, great idea!

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/01/04 at 11:33 am

Folks who read my bio might have guessed that I am--or was-- Spelruk Nizuwesook, due to my previous failed E.T. tribute "Who Hates E.T. Now?" :D.

This was a lot of fun...I usually don't write "on demand", but I actually wrote the tune during most of my commute to work on Wednesday morning, submitted it at 7:45 AM. I made up the name just to I.D. myself in an alien form, but I guess it came out more like a Polish-Norwegian emigre ::). No matter. Let's do this again next year!

Written By: SteveCav on 11/01/04 at 5:58 pm

Okay, fist off I wanna say that this was a lot of fun- the BEST halloween party I've EVER been to!(*)

I really love it here. So many net communities are full of trolls and people who tear each other down, but here I feel that we really appreciate each other's work and can say so. Even, nay *especially*, if it makes ours seem lame by comparison. I've been encouraged a lot by some awesome talent here, and I really feel at home.

I had to say that first because otherwise the nature of my song would make me seem pretty hypocritical.

My song was inspired by Claude Prez's absolute classic "Wonderful Me".
My name on the boards was Han Puppet (what else does a Star Wars fan call a forum sock?).
My costume was designed to do two things: One: to give tribute to the return of a classic comics character that happened in the world of comics last week, and Two: to make you all think it was Rice, because of his Avatar. I'm the guy in the Green Lantern costume!

I hadn't planned on unmasking at all because I thought my song tanked (you know how you sometimes write a song in the grip of muse, and then go back the next day and say "ugh!"?), but I can't leave you all wondering. Thanks to all the people who liked it.

Can't wait till next year!

(*) Also the ONLY Halloween party I've ever been to, but that's irrelevant.

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/01/04 at 6:17 pm

Okay, fist off I wanna say that this was a lot of fun- the BEST halloween party I've EVER been to!(*)

I really love it here. So many net communities are full of trolls and people who tear each other down, but here I feel that we really appreciate each other's work and can say so. Even, nay *especially*, if it makes ours seem lame by comparison. I've been encouraged a lot by some awesome talent here, and I really feel at home.

I had to say that first because otherwise the nature of my song would make me seem pretty hypocritical.

My name on the boards was Han Puppet (what else does a Star Wars fan call a forum sock?).
My costume was designed to do two things: One: to give tribute to the return of a classic comics character that happened in the world of comics last week, and Two: to make you all think it was Rice, because of his Avatar. I'm the guy in the Green Lantern costume!

I hadn't planned on unmasking at all because I thought my song tanked (you know how you sometimes write a song in the grip of muse, and then go back the next day and say "ugh!"?), but I can't leave you all wondering. Thanks to all the people who liked it.

Can't wait till next year!

(*) Also the ONLY Halloween party I've ever been to, but that's irrelevant.

In brightest day
In darkest night
Ol' Steve'll entertain us right
Let's hope that Word-Smith Steve'll write
Glee flared high-power, on Amiright!

Well done, Steve!  Congratulations!  ;D

Written By: Claude_Prez on 11/01/04 at 9:49 pm

I wasn't going to share my guesses, but I can't help it.
I have to say, I was absolutely convinced Guy had written the Kennedy one.  The two names on his parody threw me off; like others, I thought it may have been Merry and Pippin.  I'm happy to say that Steven was one of the three authors I'd narrowed his parody down to (2nz and Phil Alexander were the others), and I think it's delightfully serendipitous that one of my songs inspired his entry, and one of his songs inspired my entry.  I was also convinced that Malcolm had written the Olsen twins one, even though he never enters these things.  I should've known; it wasn't quite naughty enough.  Anyway, don't be shy, people-- I'd like to know:  is "Fartissimo" Paul Robinson?  Is "Nope In Aim" Arwen?  Or one of the elf's clever friends, perhaps Jeff Reuben, using the "clumsy" theme to throw people off?  And if "Robert Killjoy-Sick" isn't Martha DTox, I'll eat my dog.  Also, if anybody was wondering, our judging panel consisted of me, MooRocca, my wife, and my wife's sister.  They were delighted to help and found the whole process very entertaining.  The funniest part was that they thought my parody (which I hadn't told them was mine) was extremely creepy and disturbing and not terribly amusing at all.  No accounting for taste.  Anyway, let us know what you thought about the judging -- I always thought it would be fun to get an "outsider" take on things, but maybe everyone would've been happier with the usual voting system.  But this went pretty well, I thought; I could definitely see something like this happening again.

Written By: MooRocca on 11/01/04 at 10:35 pm

I wasn't going to share my guesses either, (especially after seeing how far off the mark I was!) but since Claude did... what the devil:

Rick & Johnny fooled me twice.  I thought Johnny was leering at the Olsen twins from behind Rick's Hugh Hefner mask and the Toucan Twins really threw me for a (fruit) loop -- get this, I even wondered if those two entries might come from a single person who had donned two masks!  Close, but oh so far off the mark!

At first glance, I spotted "Luke" and "Prizes" in the letters of Agrimorfee's mask and it certainly looked like an anigram, so I was dead sure Spelruk was Luke Brattoni based on that, alone.  Agrimorfee totally fooled me!

I was pretty sure that Claude and Spaff had come as Hannibal and Green Lantern,  but I went back and forth on which was which.  Turns out neither was Spaff and the one that wasn't Claude was inspired by Claude.  So, I came closest with these two, but I still wasn't exactly right.

Like Claude, I was convinced Guy was working for the See Yai Aye and I was equally convinced that Merry and Pippin were the hilariously hefty duo.  (Loved your unmasking post, too, Guy!)  My new guess is that See Yai Aye is Adagio... maybe???  Then again, the masked guest who keeps tripping over his/her own costume could be Adagio, if it's not Arwen... or maybe they teamed up and shared a costume?  Or maybe I'm just totally off the mark.

As sure as Claude is that Robert Killjoy-sick is Martha, I'm just as sure he's Phil.  (Fortunately, I have no pets, so nobody can make me eat one of them when I'm proven wrong.)

Fartissimo has to be Paul... right? 

I assume that False Mustache is The Invincible seeing as how I just read a post where False Mustache guessed that False Mustache is The Invincible.  (Unless that was a swerve, too!)

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/01/04 at 11:58 pm

I think the "masking/guessing/unmasking/revealing-of-guessing-rationale" is more fun than the parody part of the whole thing!

Written By: Arwen on 11/02/04 at 1:03 am

I tried...REALLY hard...to write about a topic that wouldn't give me away.  But I was totally stumped...and almost didn't enter at all...but finally (you guessed it) penned "I'm So Clumsy" at the stroke of the deadline...and then had a panic attack when I had No Pen Name...

I figured you'd have a fairly easy time of guessing me...  ::)

Oh well...I had fun anyway...thanks for throwing it all together, kiddies!

Written By: Peregrin on 11/02/04 at 1:54 am

The Dead Kennedys Memorial Award

From the title, we were hoping this would be a naughty current events scarody.  But the delightful retelling of this classic tale of murder and mayhem more than made up for our initial disappointment.

Scariest cos-tomb:

I wasn't going to share my guesses, but I can't help it.
I have to say, I was absolutely convinced Guy had written the Kennedy one.  The two names on his parody threw me off; like others, I thought it may have been Merry and Pippin. 

Like Claude, I was convinced Guy was working for the See Yai Aye and I was equally convinced that Merry and Pippin were the hilariously hefty duo.  (Loved your unmasking post, too, Guy!)  My new guess is that See Yai Aye is Adagio... maybe??? 

See Yai Yay was M & P  :)

We tried very hard to make a parody about Kennedy as un-political as we could, and stick with history.  Though, obviously, we stuck some conjecture in as well.  Also, given the subject matter, it was a little hard to make it laff-a-minute!

We were aware that the title may have made you think of Marilyn Monroe  :o  Sorry to disappoint  :P  We were pretty sure that no-one would think it was about Teddy though  :)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 11/02/04 at 2:08 am

Congratulations all for a great round!
*whips off False Moustache* DA DAA!  :o

No beef about the chosen winning parody, I also thought it was the best.
From the cheap $1 bets I placed on the de-masking, I so far owe Johnny D a gold coin (you US guys use notes don't you?) and will await check or money order from Arwen and Rick D. ;D

I was thinking of an anagram for a name, MooRocca, but thought people may be on the lookout for one. And Claude had already given thumbs-down to 'effjay eubenray', my first preference. ;)

Once again, this was a really fun round to read and I look forward to the Christmas edition!

Written By: adagio on 11/02/04 at 12:28 pm

I thought it was funny when I was guessed at having two names when I didn't even enter the contest.  I've been keeping up with the contest however...guessed Guy's right off. The others I wasn't sure about.   ;)

Written By: PRobinson on 11/03/04 at 12:43 am

Missed this contest since I was on the road the last part of the month.  Looks like it was fun.  Didn't even know it was running until Rick D mentioned it to me at one of my trips to Espresso Gardens. 

Written By: philbo on 11/03/04 at 2:13 am

And if "Robert Killjoy-Sick" isn't Martha DTox, I'll eat my dog

...time to "eat somebody's pet", Claude: I'm afraid the UKIP-basher is me...

It was kind of fun, wasn't it?  Will come back and write some more later :)

Written By: Claude_Prez on 11/03/04 at 12:21 pm

Time to break out the bark-becue sauce, eh?  So, lemme see...I was wrong about Martha, wrong about Paul, wrong about Guy, wrong about Malcolm, wrong about Adagio (had her down for Luke's), didn't even guess that Rick wrote one (let alone two), didn't guess Johnny's...jeez, maybe Spaff DID write the one I thought I wrote...

Written By: philbo on 11/03/04 at 1:41 pm

I kind of guessed that (that one being one of my favourites), and couldn't quite believe it was Claude doing a rehash of the same idea: must say I'd pegged that one as a spaff tune, and was fully expecting it to win, too :-)

I was also fairly sure that Rick was Cyrano De Birderac... it seemed like a Rick sort of name, irrespective of how good the parody was ;)

But for nearly all the rest, nope... sorry, couldn't put a name to most of 'em.  I thought Guy was M&P; pegged JD on Luke and generally couldn't recognize one from the other.  Ah well.

T'was fun... what sort of Christmas competition should we have, then?

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/03/04 at 2:16 pm

...jeez, maybe Spaff DID write the one I thought I wrote...

Yeah, maybe we're all in the Amiright MATRIX and Spaff is "Agent Spaff" who can zap himself into your virtual body and take over whenever he wants to use your...interface...

Written By: Claude_Prez on 11/03/04 at 4:55 pm

T'was fun... what sort of Christmas competition should we have, then?

I don't know about MooRocca, but I'd be reluctant to commit to running anything around the holidays (although I bet I'd find time to participate if someone else ran it -- funny how that works).  Maybe we should all agree on a nice popular Christmas song (Santa Claus is Coming to Town, or something) to parody "in costume" on a certain day (or week, whatever), then do the voting 1-2-3-style like usual, except the voting thread would be in the Song Parodies forum, so everyone could vote anonymously.  Just an idea.

Written By: philbo on 11/03/04 at 5:05 pm

(Santa Claus is Coming to Town, or something)

Funny you use that as an example: it was a round in a parody competition eighteen months ago... I wrote this one :-)

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 11/07/04 at 2:22 am

Drat, I was inspired to do a Santa Claus parody on Menopause but there are already several around. I guess it's back to Panda paws and Fanta stores, the Tampa whores can be for whatfreaks.

Check for new replies or respond here...