inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABCs Round U - Voting Thread - Voting Closed

Written By: philbo on 11/03/04 at 8:58 am

OK, usual sort of rules: 1:2:3 voting - there's not many to get through this time, so unless anybody really needs an extension, voting ends one week today, end of Weds 10th November.

Tie-break rules: I'm going to break with tradition - in the unlikely event that the number of votes is tied, it'll be a draw - we'll have two winners and a third place (or whatever).  I don't see that we really have to force the issue, and in this round, I make the rules.

#1. Agrimorfee - Un Skunk du Paris (Original lyrics)

#2. Phil Alexander - Underground Loo

#3. Rick D - Up On Goofy Gags

#4. Paul Robinson - Upstairs Drummer Plays Too Much

#5. Jeff Reuben - Unopened Cases

#6. Guy DiRito - Unleash Me

#7. Merry & Pippin - _usk!

#8. Johnny D - Uranus (mp3)

#9. neminem - Ubergeek (mp3)

Subject: Re: ABCs Round U - Voting Thread

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/03/04 at 1:44 pm

3 pts to #3
2 pts to #4
1pt to #8

Creativity, funny, and changing mostly every repeated line. The 3 kings strike gold (silver and bronze) once again.

Written By: philbo on 11/03/04 at 2:05 pm

3 points: #3, Rick's gagmeister
2 points: #1 Agrimorfee's Parisian skunk
1 point: #7 M&P's clever _usk... I was trying to wangle in a use of the word "subfusc"... but it didn't want to fit ;)

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/03/04 at 4:06 pm

3 points to #3. Rick D - Up On Goofy Gags

2 points to #9. neminem - Ubergeek

1 point to #4. Paul Robinson - Upstairs Drummer Plays Too Much

Written By: Rick D on 11/03/04 at 11:00 pm

Paul #4 --3 points

Agri #1 --2 points

Guy #6 --1 point

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/04/04 at 3:28 am

I want to give all 6 of my points to #8.  That song killed me.  I loved the recording too.

Written By: PRobinson on 11/04/04 at 3:48 am

Another good, if short field.  Actually I'm thankful to only have 9 to read this  time around.  Here's my picks:

1st place -   #3.  Rick D - "Up On Goofy Gags"
2nd place -  #8.  Johnny  D - "Uranus"
3rd place -   #2.  Phil Alexander - "Underground Loo"

very close behind those was Jeff Reuben's "Unopened Cases", but I enjoyed all of the "U" entries, even the ones I could only do a read on due to "DKTOS".

Written By: Peregrin on 11/04/04 at 6:25 am

My votes are :

3 pts :  #2. Phil Alexander - Underground Loo

2 pts :  #4. Paul Robinson - Upstairs Drummer Plays Too Much

1 pt :  #9. neminem - Ubergeek

Written By: jreuben on 11/04/04 at 9:48 am

Difficult round:

3 pts:  #9  Ubergeek (Neminem)
2 pts:  #1  Un Skunk De Paris (Agrimorfee)
1 pt:    #3  Up on Goofy Gags

Written By: Meriadoc on 11/09/04 at 11:57 pm

3 pts. to #4 - Paul's "Upstairs Drummer Plays Too Much"

2 pts. to #1 - Agri's " Un Skunk de Paris"

1 pt. to #6 - Guy's "Unleash Me"

10 pts. to Rice for 'chuzpah'! ::)

Written By: philbo on 11/10/04 at 7:16 am

I want to give all 6 of my points to #8. That song killed me. I loved the recording too.

er... you may want to, but I'm afraid you can't - there's still time to get a proper 1-2-3 vote in, though.  (but not much)

Written By: philbo on 11/11/04 at 4:15 am

Hmm... some opinions, please everybody...

Rice wants to give all six points to one parody - I feel this is not in the spirit of the game, so to speak, but seeing as Rice hasn't come back to modify his vote, I feel there are three options:
1. Let his choice stand, and give all six points to one song
2. Say, "OK, so we have a first choice", and give that three points... but it means that two other songs are deprived of points, or
3. Don't include the vote at all.. which means that JD loses out for sure.

Incidentally, this is a point of principle, rather than substance as it won't affect first or second place.

Subject: Re: ABCs Round U - Voting Thread - If you've voted here, please look again

Written By: tmayfield on 11/11/04 at 6:20 am

#9 - 3
#6 - 2
#3 - 1

Written By: jreuben on 11/11/04 at 6:27 am

Rice wants to give all six points to one parody - I feel this is not in the spirit of the game, so to speak, but seeing as Rice hasn't come back to modify his vote, I feel there are three options:
2. Say, "OK, so we have a first choice", and give that three points... but it means that two other songs are deprived of points, or

Incidentally, this is a point of principle, rather than substance as it won't affect first or second place.

I'd go with #2

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/11/04 at 7:42 am

I must recuse myself from the resolution of this situation!  ;D

Written By: PRobinson on 11/11/04 at 10:34 am

Phil, as long as the voter is eligible then I think the first place vote should count.  If there were more time before the deadline I suppose you could "re-poll" Rice and see if he wants to make any 2nd & 3rd place selections.  Anyway, I guess that puts my position in category #2 at this time.  I don't think option #1 carries enough logic behind it to be plausible.  Consider the situation using, oh, say, an Olympic event.   An entrant to an Olympic event could not finish First, SECOND & THIRD in that event.  Option #3 deprives JD of a legitimate 1st place vote so I don't think that is fair either - I guess the same Olympic analogy would operative here as well - if one contestant finished and all the other ones fell down on the course 1st place would be awarded to the lone finisher, but not 2nd and 3rd places...hmmm...now I'm confusing myself.  But I still think option #2 is clearly the most reasonable way to go...

Paul R.

Subject: Re: ABCs Round U - Voting Thread - If you've voted here, please look again

Written By: Rick D on 11/11/04 at 11:26 am

I didn't want to say anything until the contest is over, but I think Rice Cube is thinking about the wrong song. He says "the recording killed him", but it is only Spaff and Lund that put a recording up of anything having to do with "Uranus". I hope he comes back and clarifies this. He is supposed to be voting on Johnny's song, which did not have a recording. I also don't believe in changing rules in the middle, and this feeling has nothing to do with how the voting is going so far.

Written By: neminem on 11/11/04 at 1:44 pm

So I just realized, right as the contest was over, that I'd forgotten to vote in it. I'm hoping that since results have not yet been posted, you guys won't get too mad at me if I add mine in now?

1st place: #5 - Jeff Reuben - Unopened Cases
Second place: Paul Robinson - Upstairs Drummer Plays Too Much
Third place: #2 Phil Alexander - Underground Loo

Oh, and I agree with everyone else - that vote should just count as a 1st place vote only.

Written By: PRobinson on 11/11/04 at 2:48 pm

I didn't want to say anything until the contest is over, but I think Rice Cube is thinking about the wrong song. He says "the recording killed him", but it is only Spaff and Lund that put a recording up of anything having to do with "Uranus". I hope he comes back and clarifies this. He is supposed to be voting on Johnny's song, which did not have a recording. I also don't believe in changing rules in the middle, and this feeling has nothing to do with how the voting is going so far.

Rick, I didn't try it, but it looks like there is an .mp3 link next to JD's entry.  So maybe Rice did hear the right song.  But I still wish we didn't have to fool around with this confusion here...

Jeez, Rick, I was all ready to make my best John Kerry concession speech to you right now. I just noticed Guy has not voted yet(unless he's Tim Mayfield? Now I AM really getting confused!!)  It's past the Nov. 10th  voting deadline (as was Nem's vote).  Also, is Tim Mayfield an eligible voter here?  I know some folks use different "handles" here than the one they use to post their parodies so I don't want to jump to any conclusion about that.  Hey,  where's Katherine Harris when you need her? (just kidding,  I can't think of anything in the world I would ever need - or want - Katherine Harris for...)  Commissioner Philbo,  what say ye?  Don't worry though, I promise not to appeal this to the Supreme Court...They'd probably have me "Tex-ecuted" anyway if they knew what I thought of some of them...

pr

Written By: Rick D on 11/11/04 at 4:22 pm

Paul, that MP3 line is to the original song, just another service our Johnny D provides. I really think he was thinking of the Spaff recording. This doesn't affect us, I love votes for Johnny. But that whole "Uranus" thing got very confusing if you weren't a part of it or following it closely. I hope we tie, myself. And Phil, stick to your guns. you went with the rules of all the other contests, don't let someone confuse it. Rice can run the next one. We should not be allowed to vote 6 points to one song, it makes everything more lopsided. Less people will get any votes.

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/04 at 4:26 pm

Hanging chad.  Since Rice is not available for comment we cannot determine what his vote really means.  I say throw it out and make a rule change proposal for the next round to determine what the majority wants. 

Written By: DoRitos on 11/11/04 at 4:32 pm

3 Pts - #2. Phil Alexander - Underground Loo

2 Pts - #4. Paul Robinson - Upstairs Drummer Plays Too Much

1 Pt  - #3. Rick D - Up On Goofy Gags

Written By: Meriadoc on 11/11/04 at 4:33 pm

I say we cube Rice and put him in the jello salad.... ;D

We'll bring the sporks.... :P

Written By: PRobinson on 11/11/04 at 5:12 pm

Paul, that MP3 line is to the original song, just another service our Johnny D provides. I really think he was thinking of the Spaff recording. This doesn't affect us, I love votes for Johnny. But that whole "Uranus" thing got very confusing if you weren't a part of it or following it closely. I hope we tie, myself. And Phil, stick to your guns. you went with the rules of all the other contests, don't let someone confuse it. Rice can run the next one. We should not be allowed to vote 6 points to one song, it makes everything more lopsided. Less people will get any votes.

Ahhh...ok, it's becoming ever-so-slightly more clear to me now...OK...so that link next to Johnny D's entry was to the ORIGINAL SONG...OK, so Rice MUST have been referring to...oh, WAIT...I SORT OF remember the "URANUS" dealie-whatchamacallit thingee...LOT'S of FOLKS wrote "URANUS" parodies,  WAS THAT THE STORY???  OH...so - Rice was thinking of SPAFF's version when he commented/psuedo-voted in this thread...Wow!  This IS getting like the "Hanging Chad" mess, trying to figure out the voter's INTENT...OK...That being the case I now agree with Rick's interpretation of the contest rules...although I always maintained that a voter could not assign all 6 of his possible voting points to one parody I was in line to let the 1st place vote stand and just allow the 2nd & 3rd place points to be discarded.  Yes, and I, too would personally be very pleased with a tie that allowed you & I to share 1st place here.  Now, I guess the only question mark in my mind is WHO is Tim Mayfield as does his vote count in this contest?  I  HAVE seen the name in some comment threads and maybe as a parody author, too, although I am not sure of that.  I don't think he was in the "T" round,  I guess that could be checked...then - let's see...Hey...where's Phil?  Oh...it's what time in England, anyway...I have no idea...but I know it's certainly a different time than out here on the West Coast of the U.S.A. -  well, anyway, I think everyone is pretty much in agreement now on the status of Rice's vote...hehe - hope he's not "steamed" over that consensus, Nyuck, Nyuck...

Written By: PRobinson on 11/11/04 at 5:40 pm

OK,  well...because I was just dying of utter curiousity I looked up Tim Mayfield - He is a fairly new author and commenter on the parody side and also has contributed some comments and such over here in the Messageboard section.  But it doesn't look like he would be eligible to vote in these contests based on what I saw.  I looked back at the "T" contest entries and don't see him there.  I think I should leave it to Phil and/or other contestants to post the vote tabulation.  I've totaled it up, of course, because I just can't help myself when it comes to numbers, whether they mean anything or not...It's very close and I really think 1st place should be declared a tie due to the tightness of the point count, and other factors such as first place votes vs. total points and, finally,  Sportsmanship.  I'm probably out of line here, but it wouldn't be the first time nor will it probably be the last, either...Hah!  I'll bet Phil thought this was going to be an EASY round to run, what with only 9 entries posted...

pr

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/11/04 at 7:01 pm

Four score and seven something or others ago Charles Grosvenor brought forth on this Internet, a new website, conceived in Silliness, and dedicated to the proposition that all music deserves mockery.

Now we are engaged in a great parody contest voting controversy, testing whether that website, or any website so conceived and so dedicated, can long endure. We are met on a great message-board-thread of that controversy. We have come to dedicate some portions of that board, as a ribald jesting place for those who here gave their fives that those parodies might live it up. It is altogether silly yet proper that we should do this.

But, in a farter stench, we can not dedicate -- we can not calculate -- we can not follow -- this round. The brave men, writing and read, who posted here, have flatulated it, far above our poor power to peel Microsoft Paint. The world will little note, nor long remember what we say here, but it can never forget what Chucky did here. It is for us the writers, rather, to be dedicated here to the unfinished work which Rice Cube has thus far so nobly ignored. It is rather for us to be here dedicated to the great task remaining before us -- that from these lampooned songs we fake increased devotion to those artists whose songs we gave a gas-full pleasure butt-explosion -- that we here highly resolve that these songs shall not have been parodied in vain -- that this website, under Chucky, shall have a new squirt of Cheese Whiz -- and that parodies of the music, by the writers, for the readers, shall not perish from the Web.

Written By: Peregrin on 11/11/04 at 9:47 pm

I think Rice needs to re-vote with the 3-2-1 principle.

If he can’t be found to do so, I reluctantly go with option # 2, which is to give three votes to the song of his choice but this unfortunately deprives two other songs of 2 points and 1 point respectively.

I am saying the above as the M&P entry is not in contention one way or ‘tother….  I haven’t looked to see if the allocation of the 2 and 1 point scores in any other way would affect the outcome of the placings of any other parodies, I sincerely hope not.

Need to clarify though, I would have the whole concept of 3-2-1 was very clear. 

Can we at least try to adopt the following for further contests, so there is no repeat of this:

3-2-1

Each entrant must vote within the allotted timeframe or be liable to the sanction of not voting in the following “XX” number of contests. 

To vote, each entrant must choose three different songs and allocate the following points score:

1st place – 3 points
2nd place – 2 points
3rd place – 1 point

By definition the most votes a song can be allocated by a voter is three points.

Written By: Peregrin on 11/11/04 at 9:49 pm

I must recuse myself from the resolution of this situation!  ;D

Johnny!  You can't do that here.  :o

There are WOMEN present  :o

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/11/04 at 9:53 pm

Johnny!  You can't do that here.  :o

There are WOMEN present  :o

Heh heh...reminds me of the Jimmy Buffett song "Why Don't We Get Drunk And Recuse".  ;D

Written By: PRobinson on 11/12/04 at 2:47 am

I think Rice needs to re-vote with the 3-2-1 principle.

If he can’t be found to do so, I reluctantly go with option # 2, which is to give three votes to the song of his choice but this unfortunately deprives two other songs of 2 points and 1 point respectively.

I am saying the above as the M&P entry is not in contention one way or ‘tother….  I haven’t looked to see if the allocation of the 2 and 1 point scores in any other way would affect the outcome of the placings of any other parodies, I sincerely hope not.

Need to clarify though, I would have the whole concept of 3-2-1 was very clear. 

Can we at least try to adopt the following for further contests, so there is no repeat of this:

3-2-1

Each entrant must vote within the allotted timeframe or be liable to the sanction of not voting in the following “XX” number of contests. 

To vote, each entrant must choose three different songs and allocate the following points score:

1st place – 3 points
2nd place – 2 points
3rd place – 1 point

By definition the most votes a song can be allocated by a voter is three points.

Ah...Codification in the defense of sanity is no vice - huzzah!! Well done.   I stand and vote a firm and proud "YES" on Proposition "3-2-1"  as stated herein...You know, I'll bet this was almost exactly how "civilization" first got started...except the people back then were face to face so a lot of them got beat to a bloody pulp and died in the process.  Seriously, a mighty fine and well-written proposal, Per...

Well. I'd better call it a night now...a group of my former CCH colleagues are having a Luncheon in honor of me actually getting off my arse and going back to work.  The least I can do is show up and remain conscious during the festivities, so I'd better try and get some shut-eye.  night 'all...

Paul R.

Subject: Re: ABCs Round U - Voting Thread - Voting Closed

Written By: philbo on 11/12/04 at 7:33 am

I'll bet Phil thought this was going to be an EASY round to run, what with only 9 entries posted...

Yep...

Master Took, I think I'll copy and paste that at the top of all my voting threads from now on.  Thank you for taking the time to express it so explicitly.

Re Tim Mayfield's vote - I'm going to let it stand 'cause he's a newbie trying to get into the spirit of the thing, and he's done some very good parodies this month (if you've not spotted any so far, have a look at this one).  And if he doesn't enter one in the November SOTM competition, then he's not the messiah, he's a very naughty boy.  (is that the quote I meant to use?).  I know it means the rules are being bent, but if there's one thing I'm good at, it's rulebending.

Four score and seven something or others ago ..

.. -- and that parodies of the music, by the writers, for the readers, shall not perish from the Web.

JD, what *ARE* you on?  And do you have any to spare? ;)

It's just struck me that even though JD's not going to win it with Rice's vote, the top couple are close enough for his 2:1 votes to make a difference... so I'm going to hang fire till end of play Sunday for Rice to call back and clear things up.  Failing that, it looks like I'll be implementing option 2 of the suggested rule amendments section 1 part b) subsection WTF am I on about?

Written By: agrimorfee on 11/12/04 at 8:50 am

Always a day late and a dollar short, but I also feel that Rice needs to revote. This would set a scary precedent if he doesn't.

Written By: Rice_Cube on 11/12/04 at 2:55 pm

Alright, in the spirit of competition, I rescind my previous silly vote and hereby vote:

3 pts for Johnny D
2 pts for Guy DiRito
1 pt for Jeff Reuben

Now quit yo bitchin' ;) Sorry about the confusion, just trying to liven things up a bit.

Written By: philbo on 11/12/04 at 8:08 pm

Thank you, Rice

I'll close off the voting now, then... not sure how quickly I'll get round to tabulating the results, but might have to wait till Monday.

Thanks, everyone

Check for new replies or respond here...