inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: ABCs Round U Voting Results

Written By: philbo on 11/16/04 at 1:19 pm

Strangely enough... this has actually come to pass.  At the start of the voting thread, I said:

Tie-break rules: I'm going to break with tradition - in the unlikely event that the number of votes is tied, it'll be a draw - we'll have two winners and a third place (or whatever).  I don't see that we really have to force the issue, and in this round, I make the rules.

...so the results are as follows:

In joint first place with 15 points:
#3. Rick D - Up On Goofy Gags
#4. Paul Robinson - Upstairs Drummer Plays Too Much

And just pipping me for third (damn him! ;)) with 9 points:
#9. neminem - Ubergeek (mp3)

And all the usual congratulations etc.

Subject: Re: ABCs Round U Voting Results

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/16/04 at 1:56 pm

Strangely enough... this has actually come to pass.  At the start of the voting thread, I said:

And just pipping me for third (darn him! ;)) with 9 points:

Congratulations Rick, Paul, and neminem!

Philbo - - - do you mean to say that you got the third-highest point-total overall?  Did anyone else match your point-total?  If so, who?

I ask because MY little personal fun thing of awarding medals is always based on point-totals, not on official placements and tie-breakers etc.

So, I will be giving Rick and Paul GOLD medals, neminem a SILVER medal, and whoever got the next-highest point-total BRONZE medal(s). 

JD

Written By: Rick D on 11/16/04 at 3:22 pm

I couldn't be happier with this result, and if Phil came in third, by all means print him up a bronze. These awards don't go in a glass case, after all, they get pinned to a bulletin board.

I want to "Soapbox" a bit about efforts that win stuff. Once I entered a radio contest in L.A. by writing a song about why I wanted to go to Hawaii with the DJ's. I figured I had to play the game, and included the DJ's names, the station call initials, and used a ululele. I was one of five very different contestants that won, and it was a fun trip. But for years, if I played any of my music for someone, the only one people wanted to hear was "The one that won the radio contest". Out of 300+ songs, I consider that one to be in the bottom fifty.

This is not uncommon. Elton John hated "Benny and the Jets", Pete Townsend was shocked "Squeeze Box" was a hit, and Ravel disliked "Bolero"

So we'll just have fun with this. We're supposed to be experts on not taking things seriously.

Written By: neminem on 11/16/04 at 9:33 pm

Whee! I finally got something! Even if only due to a lot fewer competitors, but still.

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/16/04 at 9:42 pm

Whee! I finally got something! Even if only due to a lot fewer competitors, but still.

You deserve it, neminem.  You've written a lot of high quality stuff, so this kind of peer recognition is long overdue.  Congratulations!

Written By: PRobinson on 11/16/04 at 11:11 pm

And just pipping me for third (darn him! ;)) with 9 points:

Well, GOLLY GEEZ!  Fantastic!  I'm very, very happy this ended up in a tie,  and particularly because sharing a win with Rick is really a very special honor as far as I'm concerned.  As I've told him more times than he probably wanted to hear, I probably wouldn't even be here now without his help and encouragement.  Congrats to Philbo, nem and all the other contestants as well.

Paul R.

Written By: neminem on 11/17/04 at 1:23 am

You deserve it, neminem.  You've written a lot of high quality stuff, so this kind of peer recognition is long overdue.  Congratulations!

Thanks! Though I'm kinda sad now... I've come up with just as many good ideas as always, but I can never get more than about halfway through any of them. It's annoying.

Written By: philbo on 11/17/04 at 2:18 am

Thanks! Though I'm kinda sad now... I've come up with just as many good ideas as always, but I can never get more than about halfway through any of them. It's annoying.

Leave 'em half finished, then come back to them in a few days/weeks - give inspiration a chance to strike ;)

I'm in a bit of a dull patch now, must admit: a lot of it comes from not being able to hit the computer immediately after driving - I get the idea on the move, but don't get a chance to type it up before it goes...

Written By: neminem on 11/17/04 at 3:07 pm

Leave 'em half finished, then come back to them in a few days/weeks - give inspiration a chance to strike ;)

Yeah, it's what I've been doing. Having done that, I got one to about 3/4 done a couple days ago... I should really put some energy into finishing that one up. And my Toxic parody has promise, too. I probably just need to apply myself more. I got lucky a bunch of times in a row last year with really obvious fits, and it spoiled me :-).

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/17/04 at 4:14 pm

I'm in a bit of a dull patch now, must admit: a lot of it comes from not being able to hit the computer immediately after driving - I get the idea on the move, but don't get a chance to type it up before it goes...

You can try what I do, Philbo ... I keep one of those little miniature pocket-size digital voice recorders with me, and if inspiration strikes, I just hold that little gizmo up to my mouth with one hand, thumb the "record" button, and blather my babblings to my heart's content.....then, later, I transcribe & edit.

Written By: Johnny_D on 11/20/04 at 11:11 am

Here's what I came up with....

rick 3 3 3 3 1 1 1 = 15

paul 2 1 3 2 3 2 2 = 15

nem  2 1 3 3 = 9

phil 1 3 1 3 = 8

agri 2 2 2 2 = 8

johnny 1 2 3 = 6

guy 1 1 2 2 = 6

jeff 3 1 = 4

mp 1 = 1

So, since I always base my own little hobby of awarding Medals on point-totals only, here's how I parcel-out the bling-bling for this contest:

BRONZE MEDAL = Phil Alexander

BRONZE MEDAL = Agrimorfee

SILVER MEDAL = neminem

GOLD MEDAL = Rick Duncan

GOLD MEDAL = Paul Robinson

CONGRATULATIONS to all of the medal winners!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...