inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Parc an Venton Contest - Winners Announced!

Written By: Meriadoc on 12/17/04 at 5:08 pm

Okay everyone, here we go!

Please pick your top three, awarding 3 points to your first choice, 2 points to your second choice and 1 point to your third. You cannot vote for your own song. Since Pippin and I entered separate entries, after some agonizing, I feel it only fair that we are allowed to vote on each other's if we feel it is warrented - I think you all know us well enough to trust that we will do so unbiasedly.

Voting will remain open thru the night of Dec 31 (since Christmas might get in the way a bit) - results will be posted New Years Day (if I don't have a hangover). ;)

Thanks everyone, and happy voting!

1.  Stupidly by Stuart McArthur

2.  When the Corne is Out Of by Johnny D.

3.  The Ende of Days by Phil Alexander

4.  Where's the Corne Parc an Venton? by Tim Mayfield

5.  Wage is Precarious by Peregrin

6.  Parc an Venton by Meriadoc

7.  When the Corne is Out of Parc an Venton by K1chyd

8.  Plushe (Meriadoc's Weird Suggestion) by M. McCain

9.  When the Lawn is Clover by Andy Roper

Subject: Re: Parc an Venton Contest - Voting Thread

Written By: Peregrin on 12/18/04 at 2:24 am

I too agonised long and hard.....

3 pts :  7.  When the Corne is Out of Parc an Venton by K1chyd

2 pts :  1.  Stupidly by Stuart McArthur

1 pt :    6.  Parc an Venton by Meriadoc

and big thanks to both the rarely seen M McBain and Andy Roper for participating  :D

Written By: Johnny_D on 12/18/04 at 2:48 am

3 points for #7.  When the Corne is Out of Parc an Venton by K1chyd

2 points for #6.  Parc an Venton by Meriadoc

1 point  for #5.  Wage is Precarious by Peregrin

Written By: Andy Roper on 12/18/04 at 6:33 am

and big thanks to both the rarely seen M McBain and Andy Roper for participating  :D

Thanks Peregrin, it's nice to have the opportunity. :)  Though at the same time, rather daunting being up against such talent. :P

My votes are as follows...

3 points:  6. Parc an Venton - Meriadoc

2 points:  5. Wage is Precarious - Peregrin

1 point :  1. Stupidly - Stuart McArthur

Written By: Peregrin on 12/18/04 at 8:11 pm

Of course, it could be argued that one of the reasons that M McBain is rarely seen is because the author's name is M McCain...

Sorry bout that, M McCain!  :-[

Written By: tmayfield on 12/22/04 at 3:34 am

My votes are...

3 points - "When the corne is out of Parc and Venton" Parody by Know 1 can hear you dream #7

2 points - "Stupidly" Parody by Stuart McArthur #1

1 point - "Wage is Precarious" Parody by Merry & Pippin #5

Written By: MJMcCain on 12/22/04 at 7:41 am

Okay everyone, here we go!

Please pick your top three, awarding 3 points to your first choice, 2 points to your second choice and 1 point to your third. You cannot vote for your own song. Since Pippin and I entered separate entries, after some agonizing, I feel it only fair that we are allowed to vote on each other's if we feel it is warrented - I think you all know us well enough to trust that we will do so unbiasedly.

Voting will remain open thru the night of Dec 31 (since Christmas might get in the way a bit) - results will be posted New Years Day (if I don't have a hangover). ;)

Thanks everyone, and happy voting!

1.  Stupidly by Stuart McArthur

2.  When the Corne is Out Of by Johnny D.

3.  The Ende of Days by Phil Alexander

4.  Where's the Corne Parc an Venton? by Tim Mayfield

5.  Wage is Precarious by Peregrin

6.  Parc an Venton by Meriadoc

7.  When the Corne is Out of Parc an Venton by K1chyd

8.  Plushe (Meriadoc's Weird Suggestion) by M. McCain

9.  When the Lawn is Clover by Andy Roper

3 points - Stupidly
2 points- Wage is Precarious
1 point-  When the Corne is Out of Parc en Venton

Written By: MJMcCain on 12/22/04 at 7:43 am

Sorry- didn't mean to include all that...just got off 12-hr nightshift (my excuse)

Subject: Re: The Only Thread That Matters

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 12/26/04 at 7:13 am

3 votes - Meriadoc (#6)
2 votes - Andy Roper (#9)
1 vote  - Know 1 Can Hear You Dream (#7)

and what a weird experience ???

Written By: K1chyd on 12/29/04 at 11:32 am

3 Points: Pippin

2 Points: Johnny D

1 Point: Merry

Written By: Meriadoc on 12/29/04 at 3:03 pm

Wow! I finished reading and voting today, but the entries were all so good I am having a hard time deciding. I am pretty sure on my #1 and #2 choice, but I would like to tie the #3 choice with 4 entries! :o

Will be back later to cast my vote....  ???

OKAY! After much agonizing on my third choice, here are my votes:

3 pts to #9 - Andy's "When the Lawn is Clover"

2 pts to #7 - K1chyd's "When the Corne is Out of Parc an Venton"

1 pt to #2 - Johnny's "When the Corne is Out Of"

Written By: Meriadoc on 12/31/04 at 1:14 pm

Paging Philbo....paging Philbo....  ???

Written By: philbo on 01/01/05 at 4:37 pm

Oops... I forgot all about this one.  Could you hold on a few minutes (well, it might be more.. .there seem to be a whole load of DKTOSs)

Written By: philbo on 01/01/05 at 4:52 pm

Sorry 'bout the lack of comments on ones I'd not already commented on... but the votes for the Baggins jury run as follows:

3 points - #1 "Stupidly"
2 points - #5 "Wage is Precarious"
and finally
1 point - #4  "Where's the Corne Parc an Venton?"

Written By: Meriadoc on 01/02/05 at 5:54 pm

Well, the moment we have all been eagerly waiting for is here!

We have a tie for second place, so in keeping with Olympic Style rules, we will have a gold and two silvers, but no bronze.

The gold "I'd Plow that Swedish Field if it Wasn't Frozen 10 Months of the Year" Award goes to K1chyd's cleverly titled:

"When the Corne is Out of Parc an Venton" ! (13 pts.)  :)

The twin silver awards go to:

Stuarte Methinke-tooe-manye-e's-doe-abounde McArthure for "Stupidly" (11 pts)  :o

and to

Peregrin's "Wage is Precarious (So I am Taking Up a New Career as a Seller of Battery Powered Toys Shaped Like Corne and Boy Do They Relieve that Harvester Seat Constipation..)"  (11 pts)  :P

Following up with 10 pts, I, Merry, get the self imposed "The Crop is Harvested and BTW Where Did all Those Pretty Colours Come From?" Award. ::)

5 pts to Andy and the coveted "I Made Grammatically Impossible Sentences but Got All the Words to Rhyme Beautifully and That's What Counts Dammit!" Award! ;)

Next comes 3 pts to Johnny Put-the-cob-in D. and the "Most Fun with the Harvest" Award!  8)

Tim scored 1 point and receives the prestigious "Cleverest Use of Cucumbers Since Johnny D's Last Wild Weekend" Award  :-X

And last but not least we appreciate the participation of:

M.McCain who wins a three day wild and erotic weekend with Andy, Stu and Phil at the "How to Talk Medievally without Half Trying" convention!  :D

And our own dear Philbo, who wins the "Only Englishman in the Universe to Not Know the Other Verses to Auld Lang Syne" Award!  ;D

And finally, the phrase revealed:

"Parc an Venton" is Cornish for "the Fountain Field" (because I just know you all want to work that into your next cocktail party conversation).  :)

Written By: Andy Roper on 01/02/05 at 6:40 pm

5 pts to Andy and the coveted "I Made Grammatically Impossible Sentences but Got All the Words to Rhyme Beautifully and That's What Counts Dammit!" Award! ;)

I'll go along with that  ;D

In all seriousness, I'd like to say a BIG thank you to you Merry for giving me the opportunity to be a part of this. You (and Peregrin) have given me encouragement all  the way. It's been a huge boost to my confidence. :)

Thanks also for putting this contest together - I imagine it is fairly time consuming - and for giving us a fun and very different  theme to work with.

Lastly, congratulations to K1chyd, Stuart and Pip....well done you guys! 8)

Subject: Re: Parc an Venton Contest - Winners Announced!

Written By: PRobinson on 01/02/05 at 9:46 pm

"Parc an Venton" is Cornish for "the Fountain Field"? :o  I waited nearly a month to finally find that out?    :-\\

Hope everybody had a great Holiday season and is happy & well for the New Year... 
pr

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 01/02/05 at 10:32 pm

well, I am mightily pleased to win my fourth silver medal in 6 comps (always the bridesmaide I am)

but K1 was a very deserving winner (look at all his 3-votes), and I'm proud to share the podium with that other roote-rat Peregrin

good on you Meri for a fun comp - eagerly awaiting your next weird inspiration

Written By: K1chyd on 01/03/05 at 2:07 am

The gold "I'd Plow that Swedish Field if it Wasn't Frozen 10 Months of the Year" Award goes to K1chyd's cleverly titled:

"When the Corne is Out of Parc an Venton" ! (13 pts.) 

That is 12 months in the most northern parts and 6 in the south so I think the average is no more than 9 months. Get yer facts rights... ;-)

Wow, I never finished among the medalists before, and this one was written in only 4 or 5 days, far less than my average, maybe I should try that approach more often (or this original). :-)

What more, what more... well, you know what they say; the brain is a wonderful machine, it immediately starts to work when you´re born and doesn´t finish until you have to make an acceptance speech...

...I would like to thank...

...my mother and my father, for being so horny that night that they couldn´t wait until they got their hands on some rubber...

... the local politicians of that period, for having closed down the abortion clinic...

... and last but not least, all those who voted for me and everyone who participated in this contest. Have a happy new year everyone! :-)

Written By: Peregrin on 01/07/05 at 5:52 am

Well, the moment we have all been eagerly waiting for is here!

Peregrin's "Wage is Precarious (So I am Taking Up a New Career as a Seller of Battery Powered Toys Shaped Like Corne and Boy Do They Relieve that Harvester Seat Constipation..)"  (11 pts)  :P

Thank you all for your votes, and Merry, I have a suspicion that Johnny may have an idea of how to market such an item!  ;D  Those harvesters are evil I tells ya  :)

Written By: Johnny_D on 01/07/05 at 10:14 am

Congratulations Peter, Stuart, Pippin, and Merry!

Written By: Johnny_D on 02/08/05 at 1:00 pm

I forgot to ask ... did y'all want some medals for this experiment in a-maize-ing weirdness ?

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/08/05 at 6:10 pm

I forgot to ask ... did y'all want some medals for this experiment in a-maize-ing weirdness ?

Johnny!  Do you have to ask?  ;)

(yes, I'm following you around all today...)

Written By: Peregrin on 02/08/05 at 8:14 pm

Very kind of you JD.

That would be great !  :)

Written By: Andy Roper on 02/11/05 at 8:04 pm

Do I get one for my "I Made Grammatically Impossible Sentences but Got All the Words to Rhyme Beautifully and That's What Counts Dammit!" Award?  ;D

Written By: jreuben on 02/14/05 at 8:51 am

well, I am mightily pleased to win my fourth silver medal in 6 comps (always the bridesmaide I am)

Nice dress.

Congrats to everyone here for writing creative songs for a creative contest.  I hope to participate in the next one.

Written By: Stuart McArthur on 02/15/05 at 9:58 pm

Nice dress.

sadly, Jeff, I've dumped it at the Salvos - in the 3 comps since, I've barely gotten a vote  :( ;)

Written By: Johnny_D on 03/02/05 at 8:27 pm

Medals have been posted.  ;D

Written By: Peregrin on 04/08/05 at 3:08 am

I am sorry I am so late  :(

Thank you very much for doing this Johnny  :)  They look really flash  :)

Written By: Johnny_D on 04/08/05 at 1:26 pm

I am sorry I am so late  :(

Thank you very much for doing this Johnny  :)  They look really flash  :)

You're welcome, Peregrin, it was my pleasure, and I'm delighted you like them!  ;D

Check for new replies or respond here...