inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Lost Treasures Contest proposal

Written By: agrimorfee on 01/20/05 at 7:38 am

I have an idea for a contest, but if people want to do it, SOMEONE ELSE NEEDS TO REFEREE IT because my time online is limited. (Claude Prez?)

Anyway, does anyone have a submitted parody in your archives that for some reason just has not been read, ie.,1 vote or even no votes? This contest would be designed for you, in order to up your point average and/or get more songs noticed!

**anyone who is on the Parody Authors page may enter
**submit one of your old parodies that, as of your date of entry, has had only 1 or 0 votes. Since any song could get voted on at anytime on this website, you are honor bound in your selection at the time of entry. (Comments don't count)
**all other rules of SOTM/ABC contests will apply. (Pick your favorite 3, 1st prize=3pts, 2nd place=2 pts, 3rd place=1 pt. Leave a comment on the entrant's parody page indicating that you at least read it. Referee will set the entry and voting due dates)

Any takers? Volunteers?

Subject: Re: Lost Treasures Contest proposal

Written By: jreuben on 01/20/05 at 8:04 am

The only catch might be that a ton of songs lost votes due to the computer glitch of 2004.  For example, my song "Cover Your Feet":  http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/thegogos9.shtml  has 18 comments but no votes.  In fact, it was even in the ABC contest.

So, I would say to use the honor system not to submit a song like that.  It's a cool idea.

Written By: EthanM on 01/20/05 at 9:48 am

i think i just have one song that really only got one vote, but it's only a couple of weeks old. It was also for the day when hardly anyone saw that batch on the front page. Would i be allowed to enter that or would i need something further back?

Written By: K1chyd on 01/20/05 at 1:03 pm

The only catch might be that a ton of songs lost votes due to the computer glitch of 2004.  For example, my song "Cover Your Feet":  http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/thegogos9.shtml  has 18 comments but no votes.  In fact, it was even in the ABC contest.

Actually, qualification for the comp because of having only 1 or even 0 comments might be a better alternative since one of the major points of these competitions is to recieve comments and input from the other writers. And that would take care of the "problem" described above.

Just my 47 Eurocents...

*Quickly takes off to place at least two comments on every old parody on the site (except my own) in order to discqualify them. See you all in 60000 minutes...* :-)

But seriously, all parodies that before January 1:st 2005 had less than 2 comments could be an alternative.

Written By: Scathe on 01/20/05 at 3:10 pm

This idea seems to be a little shaky.
On one hand it allows lesser known amateurs like me to share our work a little more.  :)
On the other hand there are precious few parodies on this site with one/no votes or one/no comments.
I only have one song with one comment, and I'm near the bottom of the parody author list.  :(
It's up to you guys though, so just keep this in mind.  ;D

Written By: MysteryGoat on 01/20/05 at 11:31 pm

Actually, qualification for the comp because of having only 1 or even 0 comments might be a better alternative

Yeah I like that idea much better, since it is about the input.

The only catch might be that a ton of songs lost votes due to the computer glitch of 2004. For example, my song "Cover Your Feet": http://www.amiright.com/parody/80s/thegogos9.shtml has 18 comments but no votes. In fact, it was even in the ABC contest.

So, I would say to use the honor system not to submit a song like that. It's a cool idea.

Actually dude, if you look at the voting breakdowd, as long as no one has voted one the song since the Great Voting Data Erase of '04 you can still see the number of votes you had. Also if your votes are less than your comments, more than likely that song was hit by the Great Voting Data Erase of '04 and it's been voted on since then.

Written By: Claude_Prez on 01/21/05 at 11:34 am

I have an idea for a contest, but if people want to do it, SOMEONE ELSE NEEDS TO REFEREE IT because my time online is limited. (Claude Prez?)

Sounds like a good idea, but no thank you.  It's really not a TON of work, but running additional contests aren't a very high priority for me right now.  Good luck, though.

Written By: philbo on 01/21/05 at 11:48 am

I'm not in a position to run another contest, either... I'm having enough trouble finding time to read through the December SOTM entries - but if anyone want's a bit of a hand, I've written an add-on to my amiright parody viewer which generates the contest links for a voting thread (I guess I'm just lazy ;)).  If anyone wants it, drop me a line and I'll stick an update somewhere on-line.

Written By: EthanM on 01/22/05 at 11:50 am

i just counted to see how many comment free songs i wrote - there are 80

Written By: DustyD on 01/22/05 at 3:58 pm

This sounds pretty cool. If we do this I have the perfect song.

Written By: Luke Brattoni on 01/25/05 at 8:26 pm

Meh, I'm in, I just hope my talents have been ignored as much as I suspect.

Written By: Kristof Robertson on 01/27/05 at 10:38 am

Great idea, Luke....could we extend the rule to no votes and/or no comments? Coz I've got a few early ones that got a few random votes (2 or 3) but no comments, and I'd very much like to thrust them into the spotlight (a bit like pushing a disabled child into a pool..) ::)

Check for new replies or respond here...